Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
shotgun, ammo and some questions with zombies
01-16-2013, 03:28 AM
shotgun, ammo and some questions with zombies
There was a situation in our last game where a hero got the shotgun and some ammo, then proceeded to shot 3 zombies in a single space

we play it this way, first we roll a dice to see if the first zombie was hit then, we roll a second dice to check if the shotgun is out of ammo

1-now the case was that we shot the second zombie then rolled a 1 in the ammo check, then discarded the ammo and continue shooting the 3rd, is that okay? or did i lost the 3rd chance to shot?

2-am i playing this weapon the right way? (3 shots, 3 checks or is it a 3 shots, 1 check since the card says: "fire at a space within range. roll a d6 for each zombie in that space. zombies are hit on the roll of 3+... each time the shotgun is fired roll a d6. on the roll of 1 or 2 discard") every zombie in that space is counted as a fire or not?

3-place newly spawned zombies, in a case i got 6 zombies on the board, rolled double 6 in the "roll to spawn new zombies" phase, then at the end of the turn in the "place newly spawned zombies" phase i rolled only a 3, what happens to the other 3 zombies? i guess they return to the zombie pool at the end of the turn, am i right?

4-my lasts questions are regarding zombies with grave weapons, it says in the sotf manual that in place of spawning 2 new zombies, i can spawn a single zombie with a great weapon, within a maximum limit of 8. do they count as 2 zombies on the board when checking how many zombies i got in the board or do they count as a single one?

5-can i place zombies with grave weapons when i use the card "my god they've taken the" instead of using... lets say, 4 spaces with normal zombies, can i choose to place only 2 zombies with grave weapons?

Thank you very much for your answers and sorry for the long post.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2013, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 03:34 AM by donvercetti.)
RE: shotgun, ammo and some questions with zombies
(01-16-2013 03:28 AM)LuisXII Wrote:  3-place newly spawned zombies, in a case i got 6 zombies on the board, rolled double 6 in the "roll to spawn new zombies" phase, then at the end of the turn in the "place newly spawned zombies" phase i rolled only a 3, what happens to the other 3 zombies? i guess they return to the zombie pool at the end of the turn, am i right?

I think the concept here is that you roll at the start of your turn, to see how many you're allowed to place at the end of the turn.
Thus you only roll once at the start, put that number of zombies aside, then place them on the board at the end. That's how I play, at least.

I'll leave the other questions to the more experienced players Watchmen02

- Let's go. Stay close to me.
01-16-2013, 03:59 AM
(01-16-2013 03:34 AM)donvercetti Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 03:28 AM)LuisXII Wrote:  3-place newly spawned zombies, in a case i got 6 zombies on the board, rolled double 6 in the "roll to spawn new zombies" phase, then at the end of the turn in the "place newly spawned zombies" phase i rolled only a 3, what happens to the other 3 zombies? i guess they return to the zombie pool at the end of the turn, am i right?

I think the concept here is that you roll at the start of your turn, to see how many you're allowed to place at the end of the turn.
Thus you only roll once at the start, put that number of zombies aside, then place them on the board at the end. That's how I play, at least.

Isn't that the zombies autospawn rule?
01-16-2013, 04:00 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 04:05 AM by zachmaio.)
Shot > Check > Break > Ammo > Shot > Check

^ that is fine. Think about it cinematically. You're shooting at a zombie > You run out of ammo > You refill ammo > you shoot at the next zombie again.

Also this is how zombie spawning works:
1) Roll two dice, # of dice must be higher than number of zombies on board.
Success=Yes you can respawn
No Success= No you can't respawn.

2) If you rolled higher than the amount of zombies on the board (success) you get the chance at the end of the turn to roll again (only 1 d6) to see how many zombies you get to respawn.

They are two completely different rolls. The first is just to see if you get to respawn zombies at the end of your turn. If you roll higher than the number of zombies on the board than at the end of your turn you get to roll 1 D6 and spawn that amount of zombies.

Sorry if that was confusing..hopefully you get it
(01-16-2013 03:59 AM)LuisXII Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 03:34 AM)donvercetti Wrote:  

Isn't that the zombies autospawn rule?

Zombie auto spawn eliminates the need to do that first roll. You don't have to see if you can respawn you just get to automatically at the end of your turn roll a 1 d6 and spawn that many zombies.
And its 3 shots 3 checks. You check after every shot.

"My mama always told me someday I'd be good at something. Who'd a guessed that something'd be zombie-killing?" -Tallahassee
01-16-2013, 04:22 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 07:37 AM by vikinglad.)
When you shoot the shotgun, you take one shot that scatters and hits all zombies in a square. 3 zombies, 1 shot. Roll three dice for the zombies, then a single one for the ammo check.

I am not sure I get your second question, but here is my shot at an answer. For spawning zombies, the initial roll of 2 dice to see if you get to spawn is completely separate from the roll at the end of the zombie turn to place new zombies. In your example, with 6 zombies on the board, you would need a 7+ on your initial roll of 2 dice to win the right to roll a single die to see how many you spawn.

I just got SOTF, so I can't help with the Grave Weapons questions much. I believe that each Grave Weapon zombie counts as a single zombie when rolling to spawn. Also, I think I read that zombies "placed" by a card or something are not the same as zombies "spawned" at the end of your turn, so I do not think you can place them with cards. "Spawning" only happens at the end of the zombie turn.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the site.
01-16-2013, 04:38 AM
(01-16-2013 04:22 AM)vikinglad Wrote:  When you shoot the shotgun, you take one shot that scatters and hits all zombies in a square. 3 zombies, 1 shot. Roll three dice for the zombies, then a single one for the ammo check.

Guess i've been playing this wrong all along..on the card it does say "you may fire at a space" not a zombie(s)...touché viking touché

"My mama always told me someday I'd be good at something. Who'd a guessed that something'd be zombie-killing?" -Tallahassee
01-16-2013, 05:26 AM
hehe i'm more confused with the shotgun now, thanks for the replies guys, perhaps some more opinions regarding the shotgun mechanics
01-16-2013, 06:03 AM
(01-16-2013 05:26 AM)LuisXII Wrote:  hehe i'm more confused with the shotgun now, thanks for the replies guys, perhaps some more opinions regarding the shotgun mechanics

You fire into the square within range hitting any zombies then check for ammo. Think of it as the buckshot dispearsing and hitting multiple targets from one bullet.
01-16-2013, 05:29 PM
1/2:
Lets not get the Shotgun confused with the POLICE Shotgun here.
The Shotgun works in that it hits all the zombies in the space with a single shot, like LSD said above, "buckshot dispersing and hitting multiple targets from one shotgun shell".
so in action it's played as follows:
Count zombies in the single space- X zombies > Roll X number of dice > for every 3+ rolled a zombie is killed > roll a another dice for the ammo check.

to avoid any arguments though if there are any "special" zombies in the space it's best to roll that one seperately, otherwise you get cases where there is say 3 normal zombies and 1 zombie hero, you get 2 hits and 2 misses, who decides if it hits only the normal zombies or a normal and a zombie hero?

Now if it's the POLICE Shotgun you play as follows:
Shoot at a zombie>If hit shoot at another zombie and repeat> If Miss/No more zombies in range, perform Ammo Check Dice Roll.

either way with both shotguns you only have a single ammo check. this is why the shotguns are quite deadly, can take out multiple zombies at once.

you are playing this rule correctly however you are misinterpreting what the dice rolls are for. In the First roll you are simply rolling to see if you get the ability to spawn new zombies. the numbers rolled have no other impact on the game (does not count in any way toward how many zombies you can spawn, as long as you roll a higher number than the number of zombies you have on the board, you get to spawn new zombies).

The second dice roll at the end of your turn determines how many zombies you get to spawn.

so to sum up, Dice to roll to check if you GET to spawn new zombies >at end of turn dice roll to determine how many zombies you get to spawn.

4. Grave weapon zombies only count as a single zombie, however when spawning them it's NOT instead of spawning 2 zombies spawn one zombie with a grave weapon, it's actually instead of spawning 2 zombies, give a CURRENT zombie a grave weapon (however that zombie cannot be adjacent to a hero).

5. I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it has to be normal zombies.

I hope i helped, I'm quite certain what I've stated is correct, hope you understand my wording as intended.
01-16-2013, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 10:02 PM by samuraitrev.)
Hi Luis XII,

Official answer from Jason C. Hill source bgg (my emphasis)
Questions 1 + 2
'With the Pump Shotgun, you fire at every Zombie in a space. Because of this, you roll to Hit each Zombie there (on a 3+) and then make a single separate roll to see if the gun runs out of ammo on the roll of 1 or 2).'

Question 3
Zombie Turn Summary
3) Roll to Spawn New Zombies. (You need to roll higher than the amount of Zombies on the board with 2D6.) If successful wait until phase 6 and...
6) Place Newly Spawned Zombies. (Roll 1D6. That's how many Zombies you get.)

Question 4
A Grave Weapon Zombie always counts as a single Zombie.

Question 5
SotF Rulebook p.8
'Whenever the Zombie Player is spawning new Zombies...this does NOT count when a card tells you to 'place Zombies' on the board, only when actually 'Spawning' new Zombies onto the board.'

Cards such as My God, They've Taken The... instruct you to 'Place a Zombie'. Basically Grave Weapon Zombies have to be Spawned the only exception to this rule is the card Deadly Surprise. (This card allows you to give a Zombie a Grave Weapon at the Start of a Fight.)

Hope this helps clarify thingsWatchmen02