Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
stores vs direct orders
10-04-2009, 09:16 PM
stores vs direct orders
We're almost to the pre-orders for the new LNOE and I've been thinking through an interesting question. Is it better to buy what you can from the stores that support FF games or order it direct from FF? Ordering it direct give the FF a bit more money which is then kicked back to us in promo cards and such, but by supporting the local stores it creates a place to play the games and introduces more gaming communities to FF.

So, which way do you think is all around best for spreading the Zombie Plagues?

"If we are very lucky and start running now we might get out of this alive or merely dead"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2009, 12:34 AM
RE: stores vs direct orders
Depends.

If you have a local store you like, buy from them. If not, and you have the money, buy from FFG. If You need to stretch your dollar, buy from a specialty online store like Thoughthammer.

I won't support a store just because it's here. If they suck, they suck.

The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.: http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com
Roleplaying Game, Board Game and Card Game Reviews and Actual Plays
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2009, 01:59 AM
The full games I get at my favorite gaming store -- Flying Frog's store charges WAY too much for shipping, and also charges full retail prices. I do get the smaller ones from them directly, though -- when the shipping isn't outrageous.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Online is the ticket for me. Buying AToE, SW and HP1 local would cost me $140 - $160CDN, online it's $120CDN shipped. Money talks and the online stores (generally) have the best price.
10-05-2009, 10:28 AM
I bought my main games from my local store and got severely ripped at $65 CND per boxed set.
I found the webstore ordered all the add ons and extra zombies.Fast shipping great customer service and the price was fantastic.Had I found them sooner I would have bought my main sets from them it would have been cheaper and I would have gotten promos as well.
I have not gone back to the local store since.Did I also mention that the games I bought were20% off and still cost me $65 each!!!
10-06-2009, 04:08 AM
I can appreciate both sides of that story. Store owners provide gaming space (usually freely) with the expectation that you are making purchases from their store and bringing in friends who'll do the same. Your friend, on the other hand, wanted to do the best thing for their wallet and grab a game at a good price.

It's a tough situation without any real middle ground. I've heard store owners make similar comments (i.e. don't play here if you don't buy here). It comes down to competition and the fact that some store owners SIGNIFICANTLY gouge their customers with their pricing.

At any rate, sorry to hear your friend had a bad experience, but happy to hear they got a game they wanted!
01-16-2010, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2010 12:58 AM by ResidentAsylum.)
Tommy Brownell Wrote:Depends.

If you have a local store you like, buy from them. If not, and you have the money, buy from FFG. If You need to stretch your dollar, buy from a specialty online store like Thoughthammer.

I won't support a store just because it's here. If they suck, they suck.

Can't agree more. While I do (very)infrequently visit my FLGS, I only go there when I need something specific and immediately. They have a fair selection of games, but they are the literal definition of "hole-in-the-wall" with the emphasis on "hole".
01-17-2010, 12:04 AM
I really don't have a local game store so it's web stores
usually CoolStuff or the War Store.

I do pre order from FFP direct as I don't want to waitZombie03

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
01-19-2010, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2010 06:48 PM by SPARTAN VI.)
I support my FLGS as much as possible. I buy the booster expansions from FFP's online store, I bought extra minis from their online store, but the big items I get from the FLGS, Dicehouse Games, who are friendly and helpful.

The only exception being that I preordered the new LNoE expansions through Thought Hammer with the giftcard I won from the contest. Watchmen02
01-26-2010, 05:46 PM
I really wish there was a FLGS closer than the only one I am aware of... 20 miles away.

Yeaaah... I'm a tadpole!!!