Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
sun tracker rule variations? and q about printing new scenarios...
11-11-2009, 01:50 AM
sun tracker rule variations? and q about printing new scenarios...
hello, i am a recent fan of this wonderful board game, LNoE. i really enjoy all of the basic rules and think that everything is almost perfect except for one issue that i have, which is the rule regarding the sun track marker. it just doesn't seem fun enough for the game to simply be over when the sun sets/rises. IMHO, it is a lot more fun when either side actually accomplishes a set goal.

has anyone experimented with altering the rules around this? something my neighbor and I have been toying around with is when the game reaches that point, give the zombies a sudden major advantage. ideas we have come up with are: immediately enact the Zombie Horde rule so tons of zombies start to populate the board (raising the limit to 21 and spawning new zombies every turn); spawning D12 zombies instead of D6; start spawning new zombie heroes (pull random hero cards not in use) which would give the zombie player a team of more difficult to defeat zombies; allow the zombie player to hold 2 more cards - 6 instead of 4..

we haven't tested this concept yet so we are not sure which rule would work out the best. but the point would be that the heros then have a very small chance of winning after the time runs out, but if they are incredibly lucky they still might be able to pull it off. has anyone done any testing with something along these lines?

and a completely unrelated question - does anybody have any tips regarding printing out new scenarios on thicker cards so they might fit better with the stock scenarios?

thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2009, 05:23 AM
RE: sun tracker rule variations? and q about printing new scenarios...
Depends on the game,time wise I mean.
If we have lots of time we throw out the sun tracker.
If we are running short on time we keep it in play as to stay on track.
As for printing out thicker paper,I just use photo-paper and glue stick it to a cardboard that matches the consistency of the card stock used in LNOE.
11-12-2009, 09:07 PM
A lot of the scenarios only have a victory condition for one side or the other that is base don the sun track. AKA, "survive until dawn" type scenarios.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I enjoy the sun tracker quite a bit, even if it does lead to some 'cliffhanger' games (Ie, what would have happened next???)

Zalgo....he comes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-17-2009, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2009 10:26 PM by zombler.)
Yeah I understand the point of it, but I just can't help but feel like ending the game with sun tracker is a bit anticlimactic. mqstout, in that scenario, i would say that once dawn occurs and the sun tracker reaches 0, you would reverse what i said above and make it so the zombies become increasingly weak - perhaps they do not spawn any new ones, and then the heroes would just have to pick the rest of them off and then win the game.

anyway, i take it nobody has tested anything like this before. i guess i will and report back here