Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
the book of eli
08-27-2013, 01:39 PM
the book of eli
went into it kinda unsure.. but open minded.. turned out to be a good post apocalypse movie.. though i felt that 30-31'ys after a bad war.. even a nuke one.. we might have had industry again. then again. they tried to portray most of the people there as 40 and yonger.. meaning most of the adults and knowledge holders were gone.. leaving those that grew up to have only been kids at the time or not born yet.. so a vast amount of knowledge lost..e tc..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2013, 05:09 PM
RE: the book of eli
I enjoyed the movie but I couldn't quite figure out at the end if he was actually blind throughout the whole movie - and apparently graced by God for his "awareness" - to account for everything he was able to "see" and do. If that is what we are supposed to get out if it, it becomes a better movie for me.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
08-27-2013, 08:04 PM
the wife and i were wondering that same thing as his eyes looked hazed at the end.. AND he had a braille bible.. and apparrently read it daily..
08-29-2013, 02:22 PM
I really was on the fence with this one. I really liked the cinematics, and the feeling you got that the environment really was hostile, but it just seems a bit lacking somewhere in the story, somewhere. I recall asking myself if I liked the movie or not afterwards.

As for his sight, I always had the feeling that he could see but may have been a teacher or braille transcriber for the blind in his past life.

I may be confusing my movies, but wasn't there a part where he and the girl went into a house of an old woman and man who had gotten the shakes from eating too many human brains (implied). If so, how would he have known they were shaking if he couldn't see them?

W.J.
08-29-2013, 02:39 PM
My guess was some sort of diving guidance / revealed sight... just a WAG though
08-31-2013, 11:54 AM
I really disliked book of eli. I thought it was really farfetched that there would be only one copy of the bible left (didn't anyone think to check the hotel drawers?)

I vaguely recall something being said about a concerted effort that was made by post-apocalyptic people to round up and destroy all the copies of the bible. Think about that for a second- in the aftermath of a global war, starving, irradiated people are spending their time...burning books? Why?

My interpretation is that the world war was religiously motivated, and that the bible was seen as a toxic and destructive influence. Even the villain saw it as a tool for propaganda. And what does our so-called 'hero' do? He SAVES THE LAST COPY! He has taken the seed of destruction and preserved it forever.

That's right, Eli, and 'God' are the real bad guys in the film.

There's a graphic novel called 'Just a Pilgrim' with a really similar plot/message.
08-31-2013, 09:17 PM
(08-29-2013 02:22 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  I may be confusing my movies, but wasn't there a part where he and the girl went into a house of an old woman and man who had gotten the shakes from eating too many human brains (implied). If so, how would he have known they were shaking if he couldn't see them?

I don't recall this in Eli at all. Maybe a different movie?

08-31-2013, 09:48 PM
(08-31-2013 09:17 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  
(08-29-2013 02:22 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  I may be confusing my movies, but wasn't there a part where he and the girl went into a house of an old woman and man who had gotten the shakes from eating too many human brains (implied). If so, how would he have known they were shaking if he couldn't see them?

I don't recall this in Eli at all. Maybe a different movie?

it was in there.

old man and old woman. she made some tea or coffeee that apparrently tasted bad. then went and found some 'meat' for sandwiches. that was the house that had the trap door at the front.

also the place Eli hid the bible inthe back of the TV
09-01-2013, 02:21 AM
Ah yes, thanks for that. I had forgot that it was that house.