Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
where to shoot ranged weapon?
07-27-2009, 09:31 PM
RE: where to shoot ranged weapon?
zombie67 Wrote:I have to admit I have always had a bit of a problem with the centre squares when it comes to ranged weapons.

Whereas I would accept that you could maybe run faster over an open piece of ground, better vision to avoid obstacles, there really isn't any justification when it comes to shooting.

Shooting through center squares rarely comes up in my games. I've never had a problem with it, however. I just think abstractly...

Maybe the center tiles are simply flatter, so you can see to target that distance better?
Maybe there are no trees/shrubs (other things that wouldn't be reflected on the tiles much) to get in the way of the shot? [Shaddup about that there well!]
Maybe the center tiles are in a bowl/valley and you're shooting across it?

Ignoring all the thematics of it -- it's pretty important, from a game balance perspective, to have the center tiles the way they are. Otherwise, corner-to-corner is so far apart, it's depressing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2009, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2009 05:06 PM by SPARTAN VI.)
Got a response from Jason Hill when I posted this at BGG:

Quote:The official ruling is exactly the same as stated in the rulebook (as you quoted)

"Range may always be counted using the shortest possible number of spaces".

This is one element that could be considered a little 'gamey', but helps to make a more streamlined and fun atmosphere to play in. Consider it that as you get closer to the center of town, there are less things in the way to block your shot, so you can effectively shoot a little further.

- Jason

Thread @ BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/3735180#3735180

And there you have it. Obviously no one is stopping anyone from implementing their own house rules. Whatever is most fun for your group should prevail!
Find all posts by this user
07-28-2009, 11:19 PM
LOL! Jason actually seems pretty responsive on BGG. Always seems to quell rules debates, I just had to grab his attention. Watchmen02

No harm, no foul, bud!
Find all posts by this user