TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: newbie question: Pump shotgun
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi, little question here, with the pump shotgun, do we roll all the dice at once ? ex: there are 4 zombies in the space, I roll 4 dice. Or do we need to roll 4 times. Me and my friend never really understood the rule for this card.

Thank you.
Lexter Wrote:Hi, little question here, with the pump shotgun, do we roll all the dice at once ? ex: there are 4 zombies in the space, I roll 4 dice. Or do we need to roll 4 times. Me and my friend never really understood the rule for this card.

Thank you.

Here is the official answer from Flying Frog's wiki:

Quote:You may fire at a space within Range. Roll a D6 for each Zombie in that space. Zombies are Hit on the Roll of 3+. Any Hero in that space is unaffected. Each time the Shotgun is fired, roll a D6. On the roll of 1 or 2, the Shotgun is out of ammo (discard).

So in your example you roll 4 times to try to hit each Zombie in the square.

We just use 1 D6 and the Hero Player states which Zombie each roll is for.

Then you roll once more to see if the shotgun is empty, which happens on a 1 or 2.

Hope that helps.
Thank you very mutch, that was a big help for futur games Zombie17

zombie67 Wrote:
Lexter Wrote:Hi, little question here, with the pump shotgun, do we roll all the dice at once ? ex: there are 4 zombies in the space, I roll 4 dice. Or do we need to roll 4 times. Me and my friend never really understood the rule for this card.

Thank you.

Here is the official answer from Flying Frog's wiki:

Quote:You may fire at a space within Range. Roll a D6 for each Zombie in that space. Zombies are Hit on the Roll of 3+. Any Hero in that space is unaffected. Each time the Shotgun is fired, roll a D6. On the roll of 1 or 2, the Shotgun is out of ammo (discard).

So in your example you roll 4 times to try to hit each Zombie in the square.

We just use 1 D6 and the Hero Player states which Zombie each roll is for.

Then you roll once more to see if the shotgun is empty, which happens on a 1 or 2.

Hope that helps.
Of course, the big question is if you roll ALL of the dice for hitting the zombies, or do you roll them one at a time.
It makes a difference in case you roll a "1" or "2" early on and possibly run out of ammo.
zelgar Wrote:Of course, the big question is if you roll ALL of the dice for hitting the zombies, or do you roll them one at a time.
It makes a difference in case you roll a "1" or "2" early on and possibly run out of ammo.

The roll to see if you run out of ammo is a separate roll to the rolls to hit. Here is the official answer from Flying Frog's wiki:

Quote:Q17: Pump Shotgun and Revolver – Is running out of ammo different for these two guns?

A17: Yes. With a Revolver, it is a single roll to hit. If that roll is a 1, the gun not only misses but is also out of ammo (discarded). The Pump Shotgun works a little bit differently. You choose a target space and roll separately to hit each Zombie in that space. Once you have finished rolling to hit the Zombies, then you make a single additional roll to see if the gun runs out of ammo on the roll of 1 or 2. This extra ‘ammo roll’ is to prevent the Pump Shotgun from running out of ammo too quickly.

Hope that clears any confusion.
Yeah, that makes sense. I tend to try and translate the game mechanics into "real life". In this instance, it wouldn't make sense to do an ammo roll for each zombie. The hero isn't blasting away at one zombie after another, they are making a single shot, which spreads out hitting multiple targets. Last time I checked, a shotgun doesn't somehow run out of ammo halfway through a single shell. You blast the zombies, some get hit, some don't, and then you either have more shells or you don't, just like real life.

Of course, some of the game rules just don't make "real life" sense, but are just too integral to the basic play. For example, you're gonna tell me a zombie can go through a window, but a human can't? I guess I could understand that, since zombie's feel no pain, they would have less trouble crashing through a glass window than a person. But after the zombie has crashed through, a human could easily escape through it. After all, humans are way more agile than zombies. Not only that, but there is a such thing as opening a window! As I said, I know you couldn't really change that, at least not without redesigning the whole thing, and it would probably make things more complicated than would be entertaining, but this is the kind of crap I think about, because I'm a dork like that. :p
(06-05-2010 12:57 AM)zombie67 Wrote: [ -> ]
zelgar Wrote:Of course, the big question is if you roll ALL of the dice for hitting the zombies, or do you roll them one at a time.

The roll to see if you run out of ammo is a separate roll to the rolls to hit. Here is the official answer from Flying Frog's wiki:

Quote:Q17: Pump Shotgun and Revolver – Is running out of ammo different for these two guns?

A17: Yes. With a Revolver, it is a single roll to hit. If that roll is a 1, the gun not only misses but is also out of ammo (discarded). The Pump Shotgun works a little bit differently. You choose a target space and roll separately to hit each Zombie in that space. Once you have finished rolling to hit the Zombies, then you make a single additional roll to see if the gun runs out of ammo on the roll of 1 or 2. This extra ‘ammo roll’ is to prevent the Pump Shotgun from running out of ammo too quickly.

Hope that clears any confusion.

If you get 1 or 2 on the ammo roll do you still get the zeds killed and discard the shotgun card. OR is it so that you would have killed the zeds if you had ammo?
Depends on what the first roll was. If it was 3 or more then the zombie is dead. If you then roll a 1 or 2, then you are out of ammo and the card must be discarded.
If your first roll is 2 or less, then you did not kill the zombie. If you then roll a 1 or 2, you are out of ammo...and out of luck Watchmen02

Just look at it like in real life.
---> You shoot "BAM!" (roll one dice) (3 or more and the zombie is dead)
---> You reload the shotgun "TSSJETSJAACK!" (roll one dice) (1 or 2, out of ammo)

And this goes for every zombie in that space.
If you are out of ammo after the first shot...well then you can't shoot any more zombies can you.

Oh...and one shot from the shotgun kills ONE zombie.
So that is ONE SHOT ---- ONE ROLL to see if it gets killed --- SECOND ROLL to check for ammo
If there are 4 zombies in that space repeat the above 4 times. If you don't fail your ammoroll ofcourse.
Each roll is ONE DICE.
Not all of them at once.
Sorry Emp you're not right with your take on the Shotgun.

With a Shotgun you roll to hit for all zombies in a space, one after the other - roll to hit Z1 then roll to hit Z2 and so on

..and..

...then make 1 single roll to check if the Shotgun is out of ammo.

This is to demonstrate the spread shot effect of a Shotgun cartridge rather than the 1 bullet shot of other guns.

To confirm from the FFP Wiki:
Quote:The Pump Shotgun works a little bit differently. You choose a target space and roll separately to hit each Zombie in that space. Once you have finished rolling to hit the Zombies, then you make a single additional roll to see if the gun runs out of ammo on the roll of 1 or 2.
oh realy?
Damn, I did not know that.
Thanks for clearing this one out ZombieJ, we have been playing it wrong for all this time then Zombie17

I wonder what kind of amo this thing uses because in real life the spread, sure...but the wider the spread, the less damage it does hehehe

So seperate dice roll for all zombies in that space and only one final roll after shooting. Watchmen02
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's