TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: One-Inch Grids and Maps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking for maps, PDFs, old board games, products for sale, and anything else that uses a one-inch grid (or approximate).

Why? Among other things, they can be used to make custom maps for LNOE! Any veteran gamemaster worth his salt can take LNOE to the next level by designing a custom scenario, complete with custom "map" to add more variety to a game. But also, I've been building a steady collection of 1" grid maps and tiles, ever since HeroQuest and DragonStrike were released, two early-1990s board games that were like a D&D-lite (especially DragonStrike, made by the same company).

I don't mean that I want people to start uploading massive amounts of pirated PDFs. But I would like to share where maybe such grid maps can be found. While most people are content with sticking to official products, I like to tinker, and every time that I see a gaming product with grids, the wheels start turning: "Hm, more to use for a D&D minatures game session" or something.
Without further ado, here is my library of one-inch grid maps and tiles:

-- HeroQuest (1990s boardgame) had a large 19x26 indoor map of a dungeon. Doors with stands were placed over walls to provide entrances.

-- DragonStrike (1990s boardgame) intended to be a light, boardgame version of Dungeons & Dragons. It included two double-sized boards, featuring a town, forested river valley, underground cave, and small castle.

-- Recently, Wizards (who publishes Dungeons & Dragons) has pushed miniatures play by selling sets of Dungeon Tiles of customizable terrain and indoor areas. These sets are reasonably priced ($10-$12) but often multiple sets are required for increased variety.

-- Some maps (including some available as free downloadable PDFs) were created for their D&D Miniatures line. For example, purchasing a gargantuan Blue Dragon included a large poster map of its lair. The 3rd edition D&D Basic game included four 12x12 double-sided boards, also dungeon-themed.

-- Paizo Publishing has been producing many products for the miniatures gamer, including packs of 6x9 Map Packs (also around $12-$15) and large 30x40 double-sided Maps (similar price): http://www.paizo.com

-- Other miniatures games using a 1.5" or 2" grid are still compatible, including maps from the MageKnight or HeroClix games.

-- Certain other board games have been played on a custom grid board. To date I can name: Tomb, Clue, an old Scotland Yard 3D game, Descent, and... Last Night on Earth!

-- Also of use to LNOE gamers is the game Zombies!!! and its many expansion sets. Granted, these games are a competitor to Flying Frog, but some people want anything zombie... However, the smallish 3x3 tiles (about 1.5" grid) may or may not be appropriate for your uses.
[Duh: One-Ince???]

The point is, all of these maps make me think about interesting new ways to play the game, especially for if/when the game has been played extensively and players are ready for more variety, or when you want to make a "special" game.

I keep considering running a Halloween version of LNOE using a Clue board, assigning each room the names of the usual LNOE buildings (but counting them as one giant square). Of course, rules tinkering would be necessary--would zombies still be allowed to go through walls, for instance--but it is in the name of fun and variety. Who is to say that I won't run a d20 Modern (or Hunter) campaign and have them stumble through the town of LNOE on their way to fight the invading aliens in the next game?

Erm. Once again, I am "He of the Long Post". Your turn.
The clue board really piques my interest, and better yet, I'm sure I have a Clue board game at home.....

That would be incredibly fun.
Anything for d20 (rpgnow has TONS of it) will work. Also check with Worldworksgames -- they have printable 3d terrain in 1" and 1.5" squares. Good high-quality products, but they're very expensive and not so service-oriented, though.
I've been meaning to pull up a free GM software from what is out there, possible AutoRealm or the like, if I can get it to print well, and when I can get the time (married, graduate school)....

But since D&D 4th is very much geared to grid boards, their published adventures now come with custom maps, including issues of Dungeon Magazine maps, and even the D&D Encounters programs run in game stores.

The point is, if we were to use any of these resources for a Flying Frog game such as LNOE, a simple custom scenario could go a long way to making it playable. For instance, a large 30x40 map of the Lost Temple (a published adventure map) could have the "X" Zombie Lairs tossed in, some searchable zones set aside, etc... This doesn't fit the theme or feel of the existing game, just tinkering with the existing parameters and mechanics of the game. There is plenty of value in just being a purist as well.
A Lot of Twlight Creations stuff have Tiles with 1"Grids.

OD
Reference URL's