TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Heroes Replenish: A Waste for 5-6 players!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This isn't so much a question, because I'm sure of how the rules apply (unless someone proves me wrong). Just a commentary, really.

As I see it, there are the following distinct circumstances under which a Hero can die:

1. ANY hero at all dies while the Sun Tracker is in the black zone
2. Players control 1 Hero each, and one of those Heroes dies.
3. Players control multiple Heroes, and a player's final Hero dies.
4. Players control multiple Heroes, and a Hero who is not a player's last dies outside the black zone.

In all of those circumstances except the last, the Hero turns into a Zombie Hero and a new Hero is drawn. In games with 5-6 players, no Hero can die without becoming a Zombie Hero/generating a new Hero.

That's why the Heroes Replenish and Always Zombie Heroes rules seem odd to me. They seem to have so little an effect on play. With 5-6 players they have no effect at all. (Granted, Always Zombie Heroes specifies a bonus in these instances, but Heroes Replenish doesn't).

Does anyone else find these rules out of place? Instead of making them full-blown Special Rules with Dots, the designers may as well have included a note that players can optionally play this way. (Like with "No starting Search Scenario Items" and "No Zombie Heroes from explosions.")
The two are almost always used together and both are only worth 1 dot (very weak). You are correct that they only matter at all if you're playing with more than one hero per player. That's just how it is. I also have never had it come into play. There's no reason to axe it from a scenario that has it.

But, it is worth noting that it should not be used to balance other dot abilities than each other.

Also, welcome to the boards! You've had a productive day.
It seemed really unfair to me that, if playing 2 player, you may be forced to carry on playing with only one hero left, where as 5 or 6 player games mean never having less than four heroes. But I read somewhere that, according to the game designers, the game has been tested and re-tested and that the advantages even out due to the fact that 4 heroes controlled by 4 players will rarely work as a cohesive team nearly as well as 4 heroes controlled by the same person. This seems dubious to me, but then I guess I haven't played enough to really understand much of the "strategy" yet.
Russ Wrote:It seemed really unfair to me that, if playing 2 player, you may be forced to carry on playing with only one hero left, where as 5 or 6 player games mean never having less than four heroes. But I read somewhere that, according to the game designers, the game has been tested and re-tested and that the advantages even out due to the fact that 4 heroes controlled by 4 players will rarely work as a cohesive team nearly as well as 4 heroes controlled by the same person. This seems dubious to me, but then I guess I haven't played enough to really understand much of the "strategy" yet.

I've thought the same thing before. But I, too, have never had an opportunity to see how the game shifts as the number of heroes on the board decreases.

I will say that, in my group at least, the Hero players laboriously and meticulously collaborate on every detail of their individual turns. One or two players are usually directing the strategy. So the outcome, I would think, is not any less efficient than one person controlling all the Heroes.
I think it comes from the fact that with more players there is more chances somone is going to do something to get you killed. Wheras if its just one or two players, you have more direct control over your characters fate.
I have always thought the same thing about the differences in 2 player games versus having multiple heros playing. My wife likes playing zombies, but it was nearly impossible for her to ever get a zombie hero before we got the GH expansion. We started playing that, in games with 1 hero player, the second-to-the-last hero killed turns zombie hero and a new hero is spawned (single hero player only ever has at minimum 2 heroes). That has worked pretty good for us.
Reference URL's