TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Stripping paint?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I painted my LNOE figures a while back and it was my absolute first time painting figures. Now I feel I could do a much better job... how hard with it be to strip off the sealant and the paint? Would it just destroy the plastic figures? Is there a specific product best for removing paint from plastic? Thanks!
I'm not a good person to answer, but I've heard you need weird stuff to strip from plastic without damaging them.
Did you use oil base?
I used acrylic... the problem is that when I sprayed them the first time I used the totally wrong lacquer and ended up pretty much repainting (over the old paint and lacquer) and then using the correct finishing spray. There are so many layers on there that the fine details are rounded out and hardly visible. FFP webstore will let you just buy new figurines, so I am tempted to just do that.
I would go with new figs.....you not only have paint but varnish in 2 coats! There is no way your going to get all that off the plastic &
have any detail left.

OD
Yup. I agree with OD. New figs is the route to go.
Thanks guys... will do.
New figures it is!

This will work out nicely, I can go crazy on my old hero figures and turn them into zombie hero figures.
The one thing you might try, actually?

Try a cleaning product called Simple Green. Let it soak overnight, then take an old toothbrush to them. I can't promise it will work, because I don't know what you used for sealant, and I've had it melt plastic in the past when I've tried it on different miniatures (it was a more porous/rubberized plastic than these minis, and it was after letting it soak for more than a day or two, but I still should warn you), but it works like a charm on metal minis. It might work here.
Simple green isn't too bad. Also Pine Sol will work. The trouble is that this is a soft plastic, as opposed to the harder plastic. I've had some details lost due to a bit of meltage (i also let them sit for about a week).

One think you may want to try is Nail polish remover (i think it's just acetone) and a q-tip. That way you could gingerly take off the paint and see if it's going to hurt the plastic underneath. As long as you get most of the paint off, and have a smooth surface, you can prime over it. If the paint isn't too thick, you may want to for go stripping altogether, and go right for the priming. I used that technique on some HeroClix and it worked fine.
Hello.

Finally a question I feel I am experienced enough to answer!!

There is a product called Castrol Super Clean. I think it's a car cleaning product that comes in a purple spray bottle. This stuff is amazing for stripping paint.

I have a game called Heroquest which I bought back in the mid 90s. I painted most of the figures in that set with Testors oil based paints. They remained painted up until a couple of years ago (I never did put a sealer on them though).

A couple years ago I decided they looked like crap and I wanted to redo them. I soaked the figures in the Castrol stuff. I think Some of them I had to leave soaking for a few days at a time because the paint was old. I used a toothbrush to scrub them and the paint just fell off! This chemical did not melt or damage my figures in any way at all so I would highly recommend this.

Depending on how long you've had the paint on there it may take a while to soak and scrub off. There were a couple of figures I couldn't get all of the paint off and had to scrape it with a toothpick to get some (it's a pain in the @ss when you have little cracks and such for the details) but this stuff did a great job. Again I never sealed them with anything so it may not work, but at least the chemical is safe and will not damage the figures.
Reference URL's