TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Pot Dipping?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why back when I first got into painting figs(we had to crush berriers to make our own paintZombie03 )I read somewhere
(maybe a GW Painting guide) that it was not good to
paint directly from the Paint Pot (forget why:rolleyes: ).

However it basically how I paint,unless I need to mix,
just prop the pot up on a slight angle & dip the brush.For mixing I use plastic soda caps.

We have some excellent painters here so I'm thinking
how do these guys do it?

OD
I use droppers so not really able to do it that way. The reason for not double dipping is that even if you're extra careful, excess colors/water can be put back in. Backwash kinda thing. That's actually why I prefer the droppers.
Orguss Wrote:I use droppers so not really able to do it that way. The reason for not double dipping is that even if you're extra careful, excess colors/water can be put back in. Backwash kinda thing. That's actually why I prefer the droppers.

Makes sense-I am careful to clean my brush before I go to another color & squeez out any extra moisture.

OD
I don't use traditional model paints. Instead, I get the acrylic craft paints available in most craft stores. They're often a bit thicker in texture, but that's about the only real difference I've found, and I don't mind that. They're much cheaper, though, and come in a wider range of colors.

I take off the lid, and use the lid as the paint-holder as a result. For mixing, I just squeeze the paint onto the paper I'm using, but that's rarely needed.
Yeah, I paint quite a bit. A couple of reasons why you shouldn't paint from the pot (most of them are already mentioned)

Paint is too thick. Paint that thick will obscure the models detail. I thin my paints at least at 3 drops of water to 1 drop of paint. Some 'master' painters go for a 20:1 ratio.

Paint will dry, especially around the rim of the 'gw' type paints...Making closing the lid a real chore.

I use a cheap plastic palatte that I got from the dollar store. I cover than with tin foil, and when the tin foil is 'all used up', I just put on a fresh sheet.

Usually, I transfer a bit of paint just using a large, clean brush (not the one I'm painting with) (that's if I'm using the GW type pots).

But, this can all get really fussy...I think you're far better off just finding what works for you.
I use folk art acrylics they are cheap as hell.
$2 for an 2 oz bottle.
I put the paint in a paint tray I got from the dollar store it holds up to ten colors.
I cut in half it is self closing they are little containers the size of a pop bottle lid.
I'm not into the expensive paints I get just as good results with the cheap paints.
The only difference is sometimes you have to thin them out a bit with water.
Yeah, I've got a bunch of those craft paints as well. I don't think the quality is too far off, but there is a bit of a difference on some colors. Still, probably negligible, and unless your'e going for 'display' quality for your miniature, will work fine.
I use apple barrel for the moment as funds are tight. You can hit michael's on a good day and get 2oz bottles for 29cents. The paint isn't horrible, it's the colors that really hurt it. There is very little selection beyond basic primaries. It does need to be thinned pretty heavy though.
Reference URL's