TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Explosive Zombie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Had a disagreement about how this card works last time we played. The card reads as follows:

At the end of each Zombie Turn, roll a D6. On the roll of a 6 (or if the Zombie is killed), the Zombie explodes. Any other Zombies in its space are Killed on the roll of 2+, any Hero there is Killed on the roll of 5+. Any model in an adjacent space takes a Wound on the D6 roll of 5 or 6.

That's a mouthful, (and in my opinion, awkwardly worded.)

I thought that it meant that the zombie explodes either upon being killed or upon the roll of 6 at the end of the zombie turn...and that the stuff about zombies and/or heroes sharing or in a adjacent spaces being wounded/killed tells you what affect the explosion has.

My girlfriend thought that all the stuff about any hero/zombie getting killed/wounded was independent from the explosion roll. That is to say, every time the hero is sharing a space with the zombie, you roll a D6 and on a roll of 5+, the hero is dead, (without the zombie exploding.)

Thanks for your help, guys. By the way...does anyone else wonder how in the hell a zombie is walking around with lit sticks of dynamite? I mean, I can see how they might get a hold of a rusty old pitchfork or get tangled up in some barbed wire, but am I to believe that they just found a stick of dynamite lying around, the fuse still hissing, picked it up, (for some reason,) and then ambled around for an indefinite period of time without it blowing up on them?
I roll a die for each model involved, if that's what you're asking. So whenever the zombie goes boom, any hero or zombie in the area rolls a die to see if the explosion did anything to them.

As for why? I suppose its a play on the dog fetching the dynamite bit...I prefer to imagine the town drunk shoving the dynamite down the back of the zombie's shirt.

Just my two bits.
They do use odd language within LNOE, but you are right and (of course) the girlfriend is wrong. You roll to see if it explodes. Then, if it explodes, you make the other rolls. When FF uses "on the roll of..." it means "make a roll, if the result is, then...". Read the wording of dynamite on the back of the rule book. It matches well.

Roll a die to see if it blows up. Then, for each zed in its space, roll a die -- each perishes on a 2+. Then roll a die for each hero in the space, roll a die -- each croaks on a 5+. Then roll a die for any model in any adjacent spaces -- each takes a wound on a 5+. [Remember, a single wound kills most normal zombies.]
Also, to address your thematics. I feel as though the explosive zombies are like the bloated ones, but with lots of methane built up in them. They could spontaneously combust from the internal rot at any time. Ever heard of a pile of sawdust spontaneously combusting? Imagine that, but with a bloated bag of flammable rot-gas carrying it around.

Or, for another take, it's got a kill switch toggle explosive strapped to it [somehow]. If its rigor mortis ever looses enough for it to stop holding and drop the retainer, it all goes boom.
Thanks guys, just wanted someone to confirm that for me.

I totally thought about the explosive zombie being a bloated methane gas bag as well! But it wouldn't explode without a source of ignition. (Of course, shooting a gas can won't make it explode either, but I'm willing to imagine bullets as a source of ignition due to what I call "movie physics." LOL!) The thing is, the card has a picture of a zombie on it holding a stick of lit dynamite.
Okay then, it's old-school, non-stabilized TNT -- it drops or shakes it and goes kaboom at any time.
(09-01-2010 09:36 PM)Nebcron Wrote: [ -> ]I roll a die for each model involved, if that's what you're asking. So whenever the zombie goes boom, any hero or zombie in the area rolls a die to see if the explosion did anything to them.

As for why? I suppose its a play on the dog fetching the dynamite bit...I prefer to imagine the town drunk shoving the dynamite down the back of the zombie's shirt.

Just my two bits.

that's how i read it as well.

it's a reaction to the explosion.. not 2 unrelated effects.

soundguy
(09-01-2010 09:36 PM)Nebcron Wrote: [ -> ]I roll a die for each model involved, if that's what you're asking. So whenever the zombie goes boom, any hero or zombie in the area rolls a die to see if the explosion did anything to them.

Just my two bits.

Sounds about right to both of us here too.
Reference URL's