TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Movement alternatives?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
After a couple of games., as the Heroes, where I seemed to only be rolling 1 or 2 all game for movement, I talked with Kath, my partner about changes to the movement system.

We thought a possibility would be to have a standard movement figure for each Hero based on age and build etc., which would then be modified for injuries.

So it would be along the lines of:

All Youth Heroes can move up to 6 each turn, the exception being Billy who can move up to 7 being the Track Star?

All Adult Heroes move up to 5 each turn, except Father Joseph and Sam who each move up to 4 due to age and weight respectively.

These numbers would then be reduced by 1 for each wound the Hero sustained down to a minimum of 1.

This would stop stop the Heroes moving around as slowly as the Zombies because of bad luck rolls and would reflect the effects of wounds inflicted upon them

We haven't tried these ideas yet but I thought I'd see what others thought.

Do you think this could work?

Would it unbalance the game?
I think it would drastically unbalance the game. You're essentially maxing the die rolls there. Rolling a six is always an excitement-inducing experience. While I appreciate the randomness in movement, I have had games hosed by terrible luck and do understand your sentiment with altering it. A change like this could be made to work, but I feel your numbers are too high.

I feel that removing the excitement of rolling a high number for movement, on any character, is far too much a drawback than removal of the disappointment of rolling low.

Also, what would you do for "sprained ankle"?

As an alternative, have you thought about implementing something akin to ATOE's reward to make up for rolling low on movement? A chit usable for +1 movement on future rolls, or for +1 [Die/to a die] during combat are possibilities. (Event cards are much harder to come by and stronger in LNOE than ATOE to give them.)
I love the idea, except it either makes unique/survival tactics super broken or you null in void it. I think still that Billy always being able to move a 6 is rough though. Perhaps instead of -1 to movement it's your max movement cut in half per wound. Rounded up.

So youths being 2 wounds would always roll a 6 on a perfectly healthy, 4 if wounded.
Sam the cook would get hosed quickly though. 6 healthy, 3 on the first bite, 2 on the second and 1 on his last leg. Badundun!
Or! You could mix. Everyone's movement is 2+1d4. (Billy 3+1d4).
and still you hose the unique items / survival tactics, and give everyone the ability to have a minimum of OVER half their movement..

by and far the hero's are still way faster than the zombies. even with obstacles in place..

soundguy
Honestly, part of the game for me is that heroes might end up moving slower than the zombies at any given moment. Do you stick around and search as the zombies are moving in? Or do you run for it while it's still safe, before the zombies can catch up? You never know if your movement roll will be slow or not. Add in cards like Shamble or others that move zombies forward, it's actually possible for slow-moving heroes to be overtaken by the hordes... and that's actually part of the risk and the gamble you take.
keep in mind that at a minimum, most of the time, the hero's movement will be at least 1. there are a few things that might lock a hero down and prevent movement.. but then there are things to lock zombies down as well.

in my games, the hero's will usually let zeds get within one space. ie.. 1 move away before moving.. even if they only move at a 1.. they can stay ahead.. baring special move cards either way. if i do manage to catch up.. given that humans fight better than zombies.. and have wounds.. it's still in the hero favor...

soundguy

(09-20-2010 04:42 PM)gavindowning Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, part of the game for me is that heroes might end up moving slower than the zombies at any given moment. Do you stick around and search as the zombies are moving in? Or do you run for it while it's still safe, before the zombies can catch up? You never know if your movement roll will be slow or not. Add in cards like Shamble or others that move zombies forward, it's actually possible for slow-moving heroes to be overtaken by the hordes... and that's actually part of the risk and the gamble you take.
Thanks guys for all of the input.

I guess as I posted I realised that the movement roll was a part of the game and will probably have to stay.

Thematically its a bit crap though -

oh I am running up to 6 spaces

now I move 1 space

now 3 spaces

now 1 space again

oops I have just taken a wound and low and behold I can now move 6 spaces again

I have been healed by Becky, oh and I am now down to 2 spaces

Though truth be known most of the above would be 1s the way my luck runs. Zombie03
You need thematics? Let's give the man thematics as to why movement varies turn to turn! There are dozens of tropes we can find here.

* Trip over something.
* Dodge a nearby zombie lunge.
* Search for and find a useless item, discard.
* Uneven terrain.
* Brief paralysis with fear.
* Taking time to shout/coordinate with the other heroes.
* Being skanky.
* Shoving the boob flop back into the sports bra.
* Catching your breath after sprinting last turn from one building to another.
* Generally being cautious.
(09-21-2010 03:35 PM)soundguy Wrote: [ -> ]keep in mind that at a minimum, most of the time, the hero's movement will be at least 1. there are a few things that might lock a hero down and prevent movement.. but then there are things to lock zombies down as well.

in my games, the hero's will usually let zeds get within one space. ie.. 1 move away before moving.. even if they only move at a 1.. they can stay ahead.. baring special move cards either way. if i do manage to catch up.. given that humans fight better than zombies.. and have wounds.. it's still in the hero favor...

soundguy

Yes and no. If a hero's sticking in one place, that usually means they're inside and searching. Zombies can move through walls, meaning they can move diagonally if they need to. Heroes can only leave the building in a straight line. Add in cards like Trip, Shamble, and other zombie cards, finding yourself abruptly surrounded by a zombie horde (or a couple zombies with grave weapons) is easier than you might initially suspect. It's not really in the hero's favor if there are lots of zombies that have suddenly surrounded the person. And don't forget that cards that slow down zombies have to be searched for. Cards that speed zombies up or slow down heroes just come to the zombie-player's hand every round. You're right that, generally, heroes can stay ahead of zombies if they're careful, but my point that it's a gamble to let zombies close in too much stands.

As for thematic reasons why movement might vary:

* Out of breath after sprinting too far.
* A surge of adrenaline after getting injured, then, after getting the wound treated, the adrenaline fades, but the injury is sore.
* Dropping your weapon, stooping to pick it up, then moving again.
* Hearing zombies nearby, and moving quietly to avoid notice.
* Sticky, squelchy mud.
* Tripping over shopping carts, misplaced furniture, strewn schoolbooks and trophies, etc.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's