TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Decreasing the luck factor......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I opened another post asking to more experienced players about the strategy factor and it seems that even if it's not a deep strategic game there is still some reasonable decision making process.
What about the luck? in some reviews this seems to be very relevant during the game: fight, movement (dice related) and scavenging (card drawing).
Since the game seems to be preety customizable i was wondering if it was possible to introduce some variant to make the game less luck dependent.
Might these be feasible option:
-divide the player cards per building?(it's more reasonable to find a chainsaw in a farm than in a restaurant)
-Assign a movement skill to the players instead of throwing dice?(a wounded hero might move less).

Is there anything like that around?
Not sure about your specific questions but I have noticed that whichever side has the hot hand with the dice rolls seems to end up winning the game. I don't know if this is a result of bad strategy or just the game being so evenly balanced.
On the boards, we've never come to a group decision on this. Some of us like luck to different levels. The only place where I truly dislike luck in this game is for scenario search items, but we've yet to stumble upon a fix for that that I liked. There is at least one thread we've had that talked about making a separate pile for each building -- not assigning an item to a specific building (as you mentioned), but just separating the hero deck apart.

For luck during movement rolls, I like ATOE's reward offset for rolling low movement. Unfortunately, LNOE doesn't have anything quite of the right power level you could reward for rolling a 1. Look around for a thread that a bunch of ideas about movement were talked about, including hindrances when hurt. I could swear there was one not too long ago in variants.
i agree.. hot dice anf good draws will determine the game winner.

last time I played my zeds were unstopable.. winning most fights.. I got good zed card draws.. hero's got poor ones.. and hero's rolled low.. my grave dead that could shrug off dama ge did so frequently... had 1-2 out of the 7 left at the end of the game.. other 5 absorbed a WHOLE LOT of hero ammo. and hero's generally only got 1 shot before their weapon emptied.

just bad luck. I've seen it the other way... all search items found on 2 turns and a quick win.. or an escape game where the sewer came up and the hero's got out fast with a zed never getting even close enough to be shot at.

as for finding items in odd places.. remember.. it's a ransacked town. a wave of zeds just came thru.. people might hav ebene carrying or stockpiling weapons and then ran or got taken.. thus finding a chainsaw at the diner might be kinda 'normal' for a zombie takeover.

gotta keep the movement as a dice roll to use the tactics cards..

soundguy
Well the luck really seems to be an important factor. I was wondering if some of the reason that cause this can be eliminated or at least decreased:
-movement can be made as a 1+1d3. In this way the average remain as throwing 1d6 but there is less variation.
-How to make less random the drawing of objects?
1+ 1d3 precludes the use of the tactics deck. 2d3 would give a better average middle of the road roll, but still allow tactics deck. but also always makes the humans move 2x as fast as the zeds. sometimes that 1 on the move dice is what makes the heart pump. after all... not everybody is a sprinter. pls takes into account tripping.. obstacles.. untied shoe laces.. etc.

soundguy
2d3 would significantly reduce the odds of getting a 5 or 6, since you are now introducing a curve. Survival tactic/unique item cards will be even rarer.

Scratch that. In this rare case, the odds don't change. They're both 1-in-3 of getting a 5 or a 6. However, getting a 4+ changes from being 50% chance (with a 1d6) to being a 67% chance (with 2d3). That's pretty big for reinforcing. Outcomes for 2d3: 2,3,3,4,4,4,5,5,6

If you haven't read this thread yet, you should: http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...ternatives
as it is right now with 1d6 you have 16.x% chance to roll any particular digit.

soundguy

(11-26-2010 07:52 PM)mqstout Wrote: [ -> ]2d3 would significantly reduce the odds of getting a 5 or 6, since you are now introducing a curve. Survival tactic/unique item cards will be even rarer.

Scratch that. In this rare case, the odds don't change. They're both 1-in-3 of getting a 5 or a 6. However, getting a 4+ changes from being 50% chance (with a 1d6) to being a 67% chance (with 2d3). That's pretty big for reinforcing. Outcomes for 2d3: 2,3,3,4,4,4,5,5,6

If you haven't read this thread yet, you should: http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...ternatives
(11-26-2010 08:11 PM)soundguy Wrote: [ -> ]as it is right now with 1d6 you have 16.x% chance to roll any particular digit.

soundguy

(11-26-2010 07:52 PM)mqstout Wrote: [ -> ]2d3 would significantly reduce the odds of getting a 5 or 6, since you are now introducing a curve. Survival tactic/unique item cards will be even rarer.

just punch lucky people in the face
that still doesn't work.. remember.. while both dice have an equal chance of the 5/6 rolling up, when you need them together, that is addative odds.

it's one thing to say the odds of a 5 or 6 rolling is 16% for either.. or 32 for a 5+ but when you need 2 dice to do that, at the same time.. you skew the odds lower

soundguy

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's