TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: farther joe's sprite and just a scratch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
if the zed player puts bitten or i feel strange on farther Joe, he uses his strength of sprite to cancel it but dose not pass the roll can a player use just a scratch to make the wound never exist therefore not making Joe a ZH?
Welcome to the boards. Strength of Sprite! I love it. That is what it is called from now on.

I think the description says something like "may take a wound to cancel any zombie card on a roll of 3+." It sounds to me like you only take the wound if you roll the 3+. We have always played that you only take the wound if the card gets cancelled.

The "just a scratch" card says it can be played when the player is ABOUT to take a wound, meaning that if played, the wound never happened, and ole Farther Joe does not turn into a zombie.
Father Joseph has to take the wound first before he rolls any dice, as stated here on the FFPwiki:

Quote:Q11: How does Father Joseph’s Strength of Spirit ability work?

A11: Strength of Spirit may be used at any time to attempt to Cancel a Zombie Card being played or that ‘Remains in Play’. Father Joseph first takes a wound and then rolls to cancel the Zombie Card on the roll of 3+. He may use this ability even if doing so will take his last wound, killing him (you are still allowed to roll to see if the card is cancelled). He may also use this ability multiple times to try and cancel the same card (assuming he failed the first time by rolling a 1 or 2).

He may even use this ability during a Fight. This is especially useful if he is about to lose a Fight and take his last wound. He may instead, voluntarily take his last wound to try and cancel an existing Zombie Card (sort of a ‘with his last breath’ notion).

So he takes the wound first before rolling.

In the case of "I feel kinda strange" or "bitten", here is the answer from the wiki:

Quote:Q12: If Father Joseph has “I Feel Kinda Strange…” played on him, can he use his Strength of Spirit to cancel it without becoming a Zombie Hero?

A12: Father Joseph may use his Strength of Spirit to cancel “I Feel Kinda Strange…” as it is being played with no problems. Once “I Feel Kinda Strange…” ‘Remains in Play’ on him though, it is a little bit more dangerous. He may try to cancel it once, by taking a wound with Strength of Spirit, but if he fails, he is immediately turned into a Zombie Hero.

Just a Scratch states :
Quote:Play when a Hero is about to take a wound. Prevent that wound.

Father Joseph has to take the wound to use Strength of Spirit, so if you prevent the wound first, he can't use his ability.

So your only chance in this case, doa303, is that Father Joe makes the roll, if he fails the roll, he is a ZH, I am afraid!
alright thought that as much just making sure i knew how it joe's ability works.( this situation came up and we had nearly a shouting match over it. Booze and sleep deprivation is not a good mix if you want sane arguments with people)
Oh no. We have been doing it wrong. Father Joe just got a little less powerful for our heros. Glad I watched this one. Thanks zombie67.
Even doing it the right way, Father Joe's a fearsome beast.
Nurse Becky and Father Joe are my Dynamic Duo. We have been doing his SOS rolls almost like rolling to see if you want to move before deciding to search. I would roll just to see if I could make it before deciding to take the wound. Not being able to do this adds significant risk. I guess it always did seem a little overpowered our way.
No, I remember somewhere Jason said that you could prevent the wound from the Strength of Spirit ability with Just a Scratch. He did not mention anything about the ability failing in that instance.

Taking the wound and canceling a Zombie card are two separate instances of the ability. How else can this effect work, according to your own quote?

"Q12: If Father Joseph has “I Feel Kinda Strange…” played on him, can he use his Strength of Spirit to cancel it without becoming a Zombie Hero?

A12: Father Joseph may use his Strength of Spirit to cancel “I Feel Kinda Strange…” as it is being played with no problems. Once “I Feel Kinda Strange…” ‘Remains in Play’ on him though, it is a little bit more dangerous. He may try to cancel it once, by taking a wound with Strength of Spirit, but if he fails, he is immediately turned into a Zombie Hero."
The quote itself brings it out. "but if he fails, he is immediately turned into a Zombie Hero" That is, even failing the Strength of Spirit roll, he takes the wound (which causes I Feel Kinda Strange to turn him into a zombie hero).

But yes, Just a Scratch can cancel the wound. For Father Joe, Just a Scratch basically reads directly "cancel any event no the roll of 3+".
(12-04-2010 02:49 PM)zombie67 Wrote: [ -> ]Father Joseph has to take the wound to use Strength of Spirit, so if you prevent the wound first, he can't use his ability.

This is incorrect, if you want to play by the rules.

Jason has already stated that 'Just a Scratch' CAN be used to prevent Father Joe's self-inflicted wound AND he can still make his role to attempt to cancel.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2376334#2376334
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's