TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: I asked FFP about blank cards.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey peep,

I had contact with Mary Beth of Flying frog productions. She seems like a nice lady who quickly reacted on my questions (I dunno if she is also visiting this site once and a while ...).
I asked her if the will be blank cards in the near future. I think it would add really something extra to the game.
She said it was discussed some time ago, but no word if or when this cards will be available for customers.
Well, better than nothing, I think, cause at least the people on FFP are thinking about it and that would mean they are or have considering it.

Thought I should share this with you on TZG.
blank cards would be cool, i would love to see blank board sections too
Blank cards would be nice because they would blend in with the deck. There are so many custom item cards made, but to print them on something the same thickness and consistancy in order to have them blend it is impossible.

I wish they held some sort of contest where they would pick their favorite or user submissions and print those.
That would be cool if they release blanc cards, Zombies!!! did it some time ago.
I think Flying Frog is doing a terrific job as it is and could use the time they have on more important things than blanc cards.
(expansions, new shirts, new cards, new heroes, new games, ....ok...I love FFP...hehehe)

But it is realy not that hard to make your own cards, you just will have to invest some more time in it.
Find a printshop in your area, go there and show them some examples from the card.
If they are a good customer friendly shop they will help you and tell you what kind of paper it is or what is the best way to make the thick hero templates.
If they have a digital printingpress you can hand them over your own files and let them print the cards for you.
This will ofcourse cost you some money but I supose buying blanc cards would do so too.

And let us be realistic here. Even if you get the blanc cards...you will never be able to print them at home to get the same finish, look and feel.
(ok, call me anal about this...but I work as a printer and I tend to look at printed stuff more closely then your average Joe hehehe)

I'm always telling myself that I will take some cards with me into work and have a look around and see what I can find as for paper.
But I keep forgetting due to being very busy. In january I'm switching jobs and start working at a new company. After a couple of months of being there I will look into it. Remind me please Watchmen02
Ey, Emp, can you tell me if a printshop is really able to make the glossy look of the cards?
(12-23-2010 09:58 AM)Onemangang Wrote: [ -> ]Ey, Emp, can you tell me if a printshop is really able to make the glossy look of the cards?

Ofcourse. FFP doesn't magicly build their cards...hehehe
...or do they? mwuhahahahaha...

Nah, the glossy finish is just some kind of varnish (to explain it simple)
To use the correct word it's "coated with a high gloss coater"
But that can be expensive.
A different option is to look for someone who can UV coat them.
Especialy if you only plan on making...let's say 10 cards.
That should give you about 5 sheets to print. (Hence the look for a digital printingshop, they offer also the service of getting your job coated...well...we do that so I expect the other company's to do it as well)

Just make sure if you plan on doing that that you don't start up a business and start selling these things. Wouldn't be fair to the people at FFP and they would be able to sew your ass Watchmen02
(12-23-2010 12:58 PM)Emp Wrote: [ -> ]Just make sure if you plan on doing that that you don't start up a business and start selling these things. Wouldn't be fair to the people at FFP and they would be able to sew your ass Watchmen02

Wow. Vicious. I guess I would expect no less from a company that makes games of aliens and the undead, but it still seems a bit harsh. If I sell cards they will sew my ass...shut, I assume. Ouch. Quite the deterrent. Most companies would probably just sue you.
There are some games out there that do this and I think its great. Zombies!!! has one expansion where people can create their own tiles.
(12-26-2010 06:50 PM)Stele Wrote: [ -> ]There are some games out there that do this and I think its great. Zombies!!! has one expansion where people can create their own tiles.

Several editions of Wiz-War included blanks.

Another solution was to print entirely new decks with the original content cards and the player created content cards so they all matched.

Cards we created were some of the most fun to play.
A contest would be a great idea, i love competing ideas and graphic arts skills against others, would be fun stuff.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's