TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: LNoE Tacky??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I use a basic primer, acrylic paints, and sealant available from most any hobby shop intended for painting miniatures. I've never had that problem of tackiness which you refer to, Emp, so I'm wondering if there's a problem with the varnish you're using. You also keep calling it a varnish, while the stuff I use is always labeled as "sealant." I'm wondering if it's possible it's different stuff.
I use a basic primer, acrylic paints, and sealant available from most any hobby shop intended for painting miniatures. I've never had that problem of tackiness which you refer to, Emp, so I'm wondering if there's a problem with the varnish you're using. You also keep calling it a varnish, while the stuff I use is always labeled as "sealant." I'm wondering if it's possible it's different stuff.
I call it "varnish" because I don't know any other word.
I will look up the stuff I used and get back to you guys on that.

Now I need to go eat...shower...and set op the boards cause it's zombietime tonight! Bring on the humans cause I will go for an all out killingstreak tonight Watchmen02

Gothicincarnation

There might also be an issue with tackiness depending on your local area. Dryer areas may have less of a problem where moister areas may have more of an issue. Warmer areas vs colder areas might make a difference as well. I am surprised, in all my research into this topic, I have never heard anyone mention this. But it is just pure logic the average temperatures and humidity levels along with barometric pressure can cause changes in the results of painting anything, from minis to a house to an artistic painting. In fact I have heard of such in other forms of painting, but never referred to in painting minis.

In shorter form, people from different areas might need different cleaners to wash the minis and different sealers to finish them to prevent tackiness.
I think Belgium doesn't realy differ that much from the U.K.
We got rain...and rain...and then some sunshine...rain again...sunshine...some snow but not much.
So no subtropical or blizzard temps here...humidity doesn't realy come into play here.

My 40K plastic mini's didn't go sticky. I painted many model kit tanks and planes when I was a kid. No stickyness there.

It's just probably the plastic chemical reaction mentionend before.

Just finished out gamenight.
One game LNEO "We got to get back" (zombie win - me - It didn't look good for me from the start, they found the 2 cans in no less than 4 rounds, but then I got the chance to kill one hero who caried the canister and all hero players were already in the "we got this in the bag" zone.... big mistake Watchmen02 and then I eventualy won with 4 hero kills)
And then just now we finished a couple of Zombie Dice games with some beers...nice Watchmen02

Gothicincarnation

Sounds like a good game night emp.

I should have mentioned in my previous post in this thread, that the materials being painted also make a difference. Different kinds of plastic will be affected by different climates as well as the different cleaners/paints/sealants/etc... In any case it is just a logical thought progression that might explain some of the issues... if not the entire problem.
To get back on the "varnish".
That's what it says on the pot Watchmen02
"MODEL COLOR MATT VARNISH - VALLEJO"
I didn't use any primer and once they were painted used Testors DullCote 1260 and it worked really well. Its the only sealant I ever buy now.
Testors does a good sealant. I'd recommend checking that out, Emp.

And I live in the Seattle area, so I don't think in this case it has to do with how damp the climate is...
Anyone know where I could get my hands on TESTORS? I asked here in the local gameshop and the dude behind the counter just stared at me. I walked out before he could ask me where I parked my spaceship and if he could have a look at it.
I love TESTORS, and have used their enamel paints to paint all of my dudes for years. It seems like it is usually sold by the plastic models of cars and airplanes and the like, rather than by the figures. They make modeling glue and stuff for those sorts of models, so they get lumped into that section.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's