TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: LNoE Tacky??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
We have many examples of nicely painted LNoE figs here & I've
never read anything here about a problem getting sealers to dry on
the figs.

Universal Head is well known for his contributions on BGG so I
take his complaint seriously.Any LNoE painters notice anything like this?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/5892...-of-anyway

OD

Edit by mqstout:
For those who don't want to read the entire thread, post #34 is a possible solution to this problem.
(12-22-2010 12:28 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote: [ -> ]We have many examples of nicely painted LNoE figs here & I've
never read anything here about a problem getting sealers to dry on
the figs.

Universal Head is well known for his contributions on BGG so I
take his complaint seriously.Any LNoE painters notice anything like this?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/5892...-of-anyway

OD

I have never painted figures before, until this game. I followed instructions posted on BGG that involved acrylic paints, followed by sealing with Minwax Polyshades, then finally a spray coat of dull finish to reduce the gloss, which I used Krylon clearcoat. My figures dried fine, and everything was great for the first few months. Then they started to get incredibly sticky. They would stick to each other bad enough to pull paint off in some instances. We also have three cats, so my figs were gradually getting hairier with every play. After much searching on the boards, the culprit seemed to be the fact that I used Krylon clearcoat as a final layer to dull the gloss. Testors dullcoat was the recommended choice. So, I painstakingly removed all the cat hair with tweezers, fixed the damaged paint areas, re-sealed them with clear polyurethane, and finally sprayed the Testors dullcoat. They are once again perfect...I only hope months down the road they remain the same. If in fact there was something else going on, it could happen again I suppose.
Interesting...I'm a Krylon clear coat user!!!,never had a problem but then again I never painted my LNoE figs.

OD
I used vallejo game color paints on mine and I've not had any problems. I have yet to seal them. I did give them a heavy scrubbing with dish soap and primed with thinned glasso for prep.
I never do the scrubbingpart and uses Chaos black (Citadel Games workshop). Never had those kind of troubles (not with LotR or LnoE)
(12-22-2010 02:38 PM)Worldmaggot Wrote: [ -> ]I have never painted figures before, until this game. I followed instructions posted on BGG that involved acrylic paints, followed by sealing with Minwax Polyshades, then finally a spray coat of dull finish to reduce the gloss, which I used Krylon clearcoat. My figures dried fine, and everything was great for the first few months. Then they started to get incredibly sticky. They would stick to each other bad enough to pull paint off in some instances. We also have three cats, so my figs were gradually getting hairier with every play. After much searching on the boards, the culprit seemed to be the fact that I used Krylon clearcoat as a final layer to dull the gloss. Testors dullcoat was the recommended choice. So, I painstakingly removed all the cat hair with tweezers, fixed the damaged paint areas, re-sealed them with clear polyurethane, and finally sprayed the Testors dullcoat. They are once again perfect...I only hope months down the road they remain the same. If in fact there was something else going on, it could happen again I suppose.

Lol, your hairy zombies. Sorry to hear that but it sounds quite funny.
(12-23-2010 04:12 AM)D153453D Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2010 02:38 PM)Worldmaggot Wrote: [ -> ]I have never painted figures before, until this game. I followed instructions posted on BGG that involved acrylic paints, followed by sealing with Minwax Polyshades, then finally a spray coat of dull finish to reduce the gloss, which I used Krylon clearcoat. My figures dried fine, and everything was great for the first few months. Then they started to get incredibly sticky. They would stick to each other bad enough to pull paint off in some instances. We also have three cats, so my figs were gradually getting hairier with every play. After much searching on the boards, the culprit seemed to be the fact that I used Krylon clearcoat as a final layer to dull the gloss. Testors dullcoat was the recommended choice. So, I painstakingly removed all the cat hair with tweezers, fixed the damaged paint areas, re-sealed them with clear polyurethane, and finally sprayed the Testors dullcoat. They are once again perfect...I only hope months down the road they remain the same. If in fact there was something else going on, it could happen again I suppose.

Lol, your hairy zombies. Sorry to hear that but it sounds quite funny.

Yes. I should have taken some pics. Not so funny when it takes 10-15 minutes with tweezers to get all the hair off one figure (and believe me, I know it doesn't sound that difficult, but it really is challenging) and then there is something like 44 figures I had painted. It took a few days, but as I said, they are good as new again. Now I can concentrate on finishing my last two waves of Grave Weapons Zombies, and IFOS figs.
Same problem here.
I think I posted here in the board a long time ago.

My figures still stick together and they are painted now for over a year.
I used skill white base coat and citadel paints to paint them. Varnish, also from citadel.

When you play with them they feel fine. I do not have to problem of hair or so sticking to them. It is just that when they have been stacked away in the boy...they all stick together. I can literally pull them all out in one block of figures.
It is a damn shame because every time a little paint gets chipped from them Insane19

Any help would be realy apreciated. Repainting them...pff..I just don't find the time any more. But I would hate it that I get the same problem with my new figures (new heroes, zombies and my martians)
(12-23-2010 09:44 AM)Emp Wrote: [ -> ]It is just that when they have been stacked away in the box...they all stick together. I can literally pull them all out in one block of figures.

Who can blame heroes sticking together? I Believe it might even be a good tactical move to have Betty around the heroes somewhere.

Gothicincarnation

(12-23-2010 09:44 AM)Emp Wrote: [ -> ]When you play with them they feel fine. [...] It is just that when they have been stacked away in the boy...they all stick together. I can literally pull them all out in one block of figures. [...] Any help would be realy apreciated.

It is possible, I've seen it happen before, that the place where you are storing them is too hot. If they are near a heating vent, or if the box is sitting where the sunlight hit it, etc... It might be just enough to cause the finish to melt a little bit, and therefore the figures to stick together.

Had a friend with the same problem, and I thought the same thing. He thought I was nuts, so we tried an experiment... He stored them in the fridge for a month. Sure enough he pulled them out and they did not stick together. We looked around the shelf he usually stored his figures on and found that there was a window right across from it that spilled sunlight right on it for most of the day. He moved the figures so the sun wouldn't hit them anymore and no more sticking.

Heat, even mild heat, can have strange effects on some finishes... Just a thought.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's