TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Compared to Lnoe?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A few buddies of mine love to play LNoE. I was poking around Flying frogs page and Touch of evil looked fun and sounded like it played similarly from the product description. I figured I would ask those of you who have played both...are the two games pretty similar? Do they use the same type of boards and characters or is it a completly different type of game? would fans of the zombie game enjoy this one?
ATOE and LNOE play very differently. LNOE and IFOS use the same mechanics -- and have interchangeable components.

ATOE is more along the lines of Arkham Horror and that genre. It's a much more serious game than LNOE, and takes much longer and needs more table space as well.
AToE is basically the players against the Game.It can be played co-op or competiive but the Heros compete to get the showdown with the
Game(Villain)first & defeat him/her/it.It can also ne played Solo.

The base Game probably takes up as much space as LNoE
but you add the Expansion something Wicked......,well it gets big.

It has a set Game board & is set in a post American Revolution era.
The great thing about it is that each Villain is unique & uses its
own minions & events as encounters.It's somewhat like Arkham Horror
but plays quicker.It also supports a number of players.

It depends what your group likes,it is different from LNoE eventhough
with the right villain you can get ZombiesZombie24

OD
Thanks for the info guys, we just picked up Arkham Horror so I guess we will see how we like that game. Also good to know that IFoS uses the same mechanics, I had not looked at that one yet.
I just got ATOE used from someone on these boards, and it is great fun. We only played once, against the werewolf, but we really liked the co-op aspect of it. Being able to change from co-op to competitive from game-to-game is going to add some cool variety, and the different villians and their minions really do play quite differently. Different locations have higher chances of yielding what you need from searching. I find the investigation aspect more satisfying than the random searching from the deck often found in LNOE. There are secrets selected at the beginning of the game for townspeople that makes it almost like Clue.

It is different enough to warrant getting, but similar enough that I can say with near certainty that anyone who enjoys LNOE would like ATOE also. I love the theme, and the miniatures are really neat, too.
A touch of Evil is a good game, but with all of the small details, if you don't have a group of experienced gamers, playing the advanced game can be a real hassle and very time consuming.
Our board gaming group got both AToE and LNoE for Christmas this year, and we've been playing both. Right now LNoE seems the more common pick, but we love the co-op aspect of AToE. We play a lot of Arkham too, but this gives us a different feel to the monster-hunting cooperative searching around. Our issues so far have been that it seems like AToE is fairly easy to win as the heroes, and LNoE is fairly difficult as the heroes. LNoE is balancing out okay in later games, but we've been trying to figure out ways to make AToE harder for the heroes so that we lose. In the handful of games we've played so far, we've won every game.
Wrabbit, are you sure you are playing all of the co-op rules correctly? Extra health multiplier for the villian based on number of players, additional villian bonuses based on shadow track location, and the horrible dice roll before the mystery card is drawn? The two games we have played since getting it both came down to the last wound: one for the heroes and one for the villian. I think the rulebook gives some extra difficulty variants you can try out too.
Fair question. We are using the multiplier for each player, plus the multiplier by any other bonuses the villain gets (the town elders add to the base wounds and then get multiplied, etc.). We're using the mystery table from the expansion as well, and the villain does get bonuses based on the shadow track. We just haven't run into much of a challenge yet. The guy who owns the game has read the rulebook several times to see if we were missing something but couldn't find anything yet. I admit I haven't read the rules myself, but he's usually pretty good at these things, so I'm not sure. We're not going to stop playing, but we may house-rule some harder things in to the mix. Great game thematically.
Personnally, i was really dissapointed by ATOE. i'm a great fan of LNOE and IFOS, but ATOE is just totally different.
I really like the setting, the mood and the quality production, but just can't find any fun when playing it. I've tried several time yet ( maybay around 7 ), but the conclusion is always the same : i just feel that i can't make any choice. Going to any space instead of the other isn't really significant, and i'm just here, rolling dices and drawing cards.
I'm really disspointed, as i really want to love this game... but it just doesn't work for me.
I really hope that the next extension will add some interestings mecanims, that will give us real choices to do.
Even will all of the minis painted, and some additionnal ones for some of the monsters ( Werewolf, Headless horseman, vampire ), my game is now taking dust on a shelve... and it make me sad Insane19
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's