TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Searching the gun store and the flare gun questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
N00b here with a couple quick questions. I didn't see them answered in the FAQ or anywhere else.

First one is pretty simple:
Flare gun is considered a firearm correct?
Just wondering, because they are not regulated like other firearms are in the US. So technically they could be considered non-guns. We've been treating them as guns, and therefor they can be pulled when searching the gun store.

2nd is related to the first:
We had a game (Die Zombies Die) where all 4 heros holed up in the gunstore. Since the heros can do their actions in any sequence they want (correct?) if often went like this: Hero shoots flare, kills zombie, flare gun dicarded, same hero searches, picks up the flare gun again. Similar things would happen with the revolver and shotgun.

This seems to be within the rules, but I can't help but feel like it was sort of... well maybe not cheating, but cheap. The heroes cleaned up rather quickly like this. And in following games everyone made a bee line to the gun shop to repeat the procedure.
(01-11-2011 05:57 PM)Wade Wrote: [ -> ]2nd is related to the first:
We had a game (Die Zombies Die) where all 4 heros holed up in the gunstore. Since the heros can do their actions in any sequence they want (correct?) if often went like this: Hero shoots flare, kills zombie, flare gun dicarded, same hero searches, picks up the flare gun again. Similar things would happen with the revolver and shotgun.

This seems to be within the rules, but I can't help but feel like it was sort of... well maybe not cheating, but cheap. The heroes cleaned up rather quickly like this. And in following games everyone made a bee line to the gun shop to repeat the procedure.

From the wiki:
Quote:Q. Two heroes are in the Airplane Hangar, same space (by the door), and one of them has a Signal Flare.

Hero 1 fires Signal Flare, and discards it. Hero 2 uses Pick Up power of Hangar and picks up discarded Signal Flare and immediately fires it. Repeat ad infinitum.

Is this correct? I think so, and it is they way we play, but I want to make sure.

A. If you look on page 22 of the Rulebook (the FAQ), the first entry addresses this. ‘A Weapon card may NOT be used by more than one Hero in the same turn.’

A single Hero in the Airplane Hangar can 'Pick Up' and fire the Signal Flare every turn, but unless there are more than one copy of the card in the discard pile, no other Hero may use the same copy of the Weapon card.
(01-11-2011 05:57 PM)Wade Wrote: [ -> ]Flare gun is considered a firearm correct?
Just wondering, because they are not regulated like other firearms are in the US. So technically they could be considered non-guns. We've been treating them as guns, and therefor they can be pulled when searching the gun store.

We played our very first game like this, then I realized that"Guns" have a little icon on the card denoting them as such. The signal flare does not have this, so I do not think it is a gun. That means you can't get it using the Gun Shop's "Pick-Up" ability. It also means Father Joe can shoot one, I believe.
Swiftfox:
We weren't using guns twice in the same round. For example, Johnny would choose to use a gun, then it gets discarded (flare gun) or break (shotgun for example), the card goes to the discard deck. Then Johnny would choose to search and pickup the gun he just used/broke and have it for the next turn.

Viking:
Interesting, I hadn't noticed that. Hmmm...
The signal flare is not a gun. The same situation does happen in the airplane hanger, though. Read its "type line" under the picture. (This also means the priest and Sally can use it.)

Also remember the turn order: Move/Search THEN trade THEN 'fire a ranged weapon' THEN fight melee. It doesn't make much of a difference, but it does. (There are cards for the Zombie that remove cards from the discard pile from the game so they can't be picked up again. Playing the order correctly means that the card will be in the discard pile on the Zombie's turn, rather than in the hero's hand.)
(01-11-2011 06:51 PM)Wade Wrote: [ -> ]Swiftfox:
We weren't using guns twice in the same round. For example, Johnny would choose to use a gun, then it gets discarded (flare gun) or break (shotgun for example), the card goes to the discard deck. Then Johnny would choose to search and pickup the gun he just used/broke and have it for the next turn.

Viking:
Interesting, I hadn't noticed that. Hmmm...

Even if it was discarded, it can't be used on the same turn. So using the flare gun, discarding it, then having someone else pick it up and use it THAT turn is an illegal move. Same rule applies to medkits, you can't use it, then have someone pick it up and use it again in the same turn in the hospital.
Absolutely not. At least the way I always read it and based off other games. You can't fire a gun more than once, but that's to prevent having a revolver, shooting, tossing it to Billy. He shoots it, tosses it to Sally, etc. If it goes to the discard pile it should be treated as a new weapon.
Orguss, in LNOE the same physical card -- even if it made it to discard and back -- can't be used more than once per turn.
(01-11-2011 06:56 PM)mqstout Wrote: [ -> ]Also remember the turn order: Move/Search THEN trade THEN 'fire a ranged weapon' THEN fight melee. It doesn't make much of a difference, but it does. (There are cards for the Zombie that remove cards from the discard pile from the game so they can't be picked up again. Playing the order correctly means that the card will be in the discard pile on the Zombie's turn, rather than in the hero's hand.)

Ahhhh.... this is where we went wrong. We were misinterpreting the rules and doing our hero steps in any order we wanted.
Now that you said this I went back and looked.

Where it says:
Quote:"During the hero turn, the heroes may take their turn in any order they wish."
we were taking that to mean the steps and not the order of which hero acts first. I must of totally glossed over where it says (right beneath)
Quote:during the turn each hero completes the following steps in order.
How embarrassing!

I'm really glad this board is here, as we were making a lot of mistakes on our first night playing.
I think we made every n00b mistake possible!

In light of this, my 2nd question is moot, as it would be impossible to search after making a ranged attack. No wonder the zombies were getting owned so badly. LOL!

Big thanks all!
It changes your original question, but only a little. (If the Hangar is on the board, or the gun store) They'll still be able to pick up a weapon at the beginning of the turn and fire it every turn. It'll be pick up-fire, instead of fire-pick up. The only distinction is, as I previously mentioned, it'll be in the discard pile on the Zombie's turn and susceptible to such cards as http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....!%E2%80%9D
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's