TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Stories of the Undead Inferno (Unofficial) Expansion FAQ!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
This is a thread dedicated to questions regarding the (unofficial) Expansion - Stories of the Undead Inferno

If I get enough questions or users find errors, I will release a FAQ sheet along in the downloads area or release an newer version of the Rulebook with its amendments.

Changes need to be made:

Version 2 out with changes.
This expansion looks awesome!
iamadoorknob has posted a few comments and id like to address them here if any of you have the same problems.

First of all, thanks for taking the time to try something new, and post such a well thought out lengthy review. I'm glad to see you enjoyed some of it. Let's get to it!

First of all, the author made no explanation of what to do if a zombie is diagonal to a hero in a second story space, as zombies can't move diagonally into second story spaces and can't move anywhere BUT diagonally due to zombie hunger.

This is stated on Page 1 under Zombie Movement with a diagram as well as a special box of text describing what to do. It reads," A failed climb still allows Zombie movement, but must move keeping in range of Zombie Hunger." The diagram that goes along with it shows that the zombie still may move to an adjacent space within Zombie Hunger. This would obviously apply to diagonals as well.

The fire is a cool concept likely taken from Invasion from Outer Space (Flying Frog Productions LLC) but it is not explained very well.

Strangely untrue. I don't own IFoS and at the time I don't believe the rules were even available on their website. It was actually brought to my attention by somebody else during the second week of working on this. They do operate fairly similarly, but this was purely by chance.

The author fails to explain what the intensity of a fire is once it starts/spreads, which would make all the difference in this scenario. It is also not very clear which fires spread and which ones die out, as it is explained twice and is completely different (and still ambiguous) in each explanation.

The Intensity is also explained on Page 4 under basic Fire and it reads, "Always place the markers facing the correct orientation with the middle board. The numbers indicate the Fire Intensity, with 4 being the highest." So whenever it spreads, you place a new marker, and whenever you place a new marker it is always placed orientated like that.

I'm not sure what you mean by that but it is also described as such: "On a roll of 1-4 a new Fire Marker is placed in any legal space corresponding to the number." That explains the direction, and as for a group of fires it is also explained as such:Fires only connect orthogonally. Fire A must be rolled for separately then Fire B. The highest Fire Intensity is ALWAYS rolled for. Fire B has a ties and both Markers are rolled for spreading." This includes a diagram with it so I'm not sure what you mean.

The scenario is not very well balanced either. If the card "Heavy Rain" comes up, the zombies will have a difficult time accomplishing anything.

Perfectly fine. I realize not everyone will enjoy it, especially if they don't understand the rules to the fire (whether it be my lack of explanation or user error). The heavy Rain Card does change the game much. Instead of burning to death on a 6 the rain puts them out. Either way the Zombie is unable to spread fire, but at least you still have the zombie out and attacking. If anything that makes it better for the zombies. Rain only effects Fire Markers which are outside. To burn down buildings Fire Markers are inside of buildings. Again, it really only effects The Forest catching on fire.

If not, they will just run around putting out fires for 19 turns, as there is no other goal the heroes can accomplish in the mean time. That means there are 19 rounds of fires spreading and heroes putting them out, without time for much else. This may be fun for some, but not for us.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I played it the other day and was able to slaughter the zombies before they could spread the fire. If you have no means of killing them then your only choice is to extinguish the fires.

Thanks again iamadoorknob. I'd like to see some other comments to see if other have the same thoughts. I realize that I understand things easier because I made them up. As a result, they may haven't been necessarily translated accordingly when typing them out. There was a thin line I was walking while writing this. I was concerned about having it too lengthy and intimidating, or keep it smaller and compact. This may have lead to some communication errors. Either way, I appreciate the honest response.

I was also thinking about splitting them into 2 separate packages, and ultimately decided to include them. It's perfectly fine if you only choose to incorporate the elements you like.

I would like you to post some of the particular issues you had because that would benefit me as well.

Also, I'd be interested in seeing the boards you had done to see how well they turned out.
Hey, just letting you know that I read your response.

Okay, so the climbing thing still doesn't make sense to me. Your rules state that zombies can NOT climb through red walls diagonally. So a zombie could not even attempt a climb. So I guess what you're saying is the zombie just gets to move into position for next turn. That basically means that one hero could tie up infinite zombies every turn just by moving back and forth between two spaces, which would force the zombies to keep moving accordingly and never giving them a chance to climb in (save for a Shamble card).

Also, it explains that the highest fire intensity rolls for spreading, but I'm still not getting what happens to the other fires.

As far as the boards go, I went with the Kinko's route; printed with color and laminated. It cost me about 25 bucks for the four board pieces and they look absolutely amazing. They look just like they would in an actual FFP expansion, except laminated instead of thick cardstock. I'm considering just fixing them to the undersides of my current board pieces. I can get some pictures up later.
Excellent question! I finally see where the miscommunication is!

Zombie Hunger states that a zombie must move to that Hero space when it is in one of the 8 adjacent spaces. You would be correct that the Hero could then tie them up indefinitely. However, my rule states that a Zombie unable to reach the Hero (due to failed climbing, diagonal movement,etc..) allows a Zombie to move to any space within that 8 adjacent space radius (the Zombie Hunger Radius).

This is where it the problem was occuring. You were limiting your Zombies to any adjacent space on the GROUND floor. A Zombie diagonal to a Hero may still climb orthangonally to the SECOND floor because it is still one of the 8 adjacent Zombie Hunger Spaces! I hope that clears it up!

The Fire Markers typically last for 4 rounds, hence the 4 numbers on them. After each phase, the Marker is rotated from 4 to 3, indicating that it is burning out. So when placing a new fire Token down the 4 is always oriented with the middle board, but in the next phase it will be rotated so the the 3 is oriented with the center board.

It is similar to the system in Castle Panic where enemies have health and are rotated to determine how much life they have remaining; only in this case it's how much "health" the fire has remaining.

The Fire Tokens will gradually burn out, but the highest one will continue to spread because that's the one you roll for. I hope that clears it up.

I will adjust the text accordingly. Great questions, though. This is a good example of how I look at the rules compared to a fresh set of eyes, and even though it makes sense to me, it's those fresh pairs of eyes I need to cater the wording to.

Thanks again!

P.S. InDesign has AWFUL spelling/grammar checking. I'll copy my text to my GF's computer and check it with a real word processing program.
(02-09-2011 02:12 AM)D153453D Wrote: [ -> ]You would be correct that the Hero could then tie them up indefinitely. However, my rule states that a Zombie unable to reach the Hero (due to failed climbing, diagonal movement,etc..) allows a Zombie to move to any space within that 8 adjacent space radius (the Zombie Hunger Radius).

That still doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because by what you've just described, you could have an outlay like this:

XX|X
XH|X
XX|Z

With the X's being empty spaces, H is a hero, Z being the zombie, and the line being a red wall

so then, since the zombie can't climb up, it could instead move to any of the 8 radius spaces, like this?:

XX|X
XH|X
ZX|X

or even like this?:

ZX|X
XH|X
XX|X

Because the zombie is moving inside the zombie hunger radius in both of those instances.

It just doesn't make sense that the zombie couldn't get up, so he could suddenly appear in the building, on the other side of the hero. It also makes those second-story buildings a death trap because the zombie is guaranteed to make it inside and much more likely to trap the heroes than if they were in a normal building.
I haven't had a chance to read the rules, yet, but if I am comprehending everything correctly; if a hero tries to hold a zombie up indefinitely, 1) the HP can't search and 2) the ZP can just bring zombies from a different direction. I guess I'm just not seeing the conflict in the rules.
(02-10-2011 08:27 PM)xraine69 Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't had a chance to read the rules, yet, but if I am comprehending everything correctly; if a hero tries to hold a zombie up indefinitely, 1) the HP can't search and 2) the ZP can just bring zombies from a different direction. I guess I'm just not seeing the conflict in the rules.

Well that's what we're trying to clear up here, but even from what you just described, only ONE hero wouldn't be able to search, but the hero could tie up any number of zombies while the other heroes search undisturbed. Even if it forced the zombies to come from a different direction, the zombies tied up wouldn't be able to move and the ones going around would have to take up to five extra turns just to move into a position where they wouldn't get tied up. By then, they'll just be shot.
Extracting 8.5X11_RuleBooklet_Single.pdf Error: CRC mismatch in file "8.5X11_RuleBooklet_Single.pdf" in the archive "C:\Users\Mark\Desktop\downloaded_file_1822_7eb66e07eb82f1a6805faee55887b85b.rar"

Ok, I am not a techie. I tried to open the zip file and got this error. Maybe if I can get at the rules, I can read them and better understand things.
(02-11-2011 12:25 AM)xraine69 Wrote: [ -> ]Extracting 8.5X11_RuleBooklet_Single.pdf Error: CRC mismatch in file "8.5X11_RuleBooklet_Single.pdf" in the archive "C:\Users\Mark\Desktop\downloaded_file_1822_7eb66e07eb82f1a6805faee55887b85b.rar"

Ok, I am not a techie. I tried to open the zip file and got this error. Maybe if I can get at the rules, I can read them and better understand things.

That sounds like your download got corrupted. Try downloading it again using a different filename and try opening the archive. I've been able to open the archives fine, and the content is .... yep, SMOKIN'!
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's