TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Recently Read Wash Advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was reading some painting tutorials online to see if I could find anything about enamel paints, and I found the following tidbits that I never followed. Does anyone else do this? Is it necessary?

Quote:It is important that the type of paint used does not affect the underlying base paint surface. Therefore, if the model is painted with acrylics, the wash should be oil or enamel and vice versa. It is common to put a protective layer of varnish on the base coat of paint before applying a wash.

Or pay any heed to this?

Quote:Furthermore, a wash needs to be applied to a gloss or semi-gloss surface, whereas a filter is best applied to a matt/flat finish.

I generally use matte enamel paints, then mix a wash using enamel paints and thinner. I have fair success with this. I have never heard the above rules before. What do you all think?
It seems rather odd especially the a varnish before the wash?
But then again I use acrylics & GW washes.

OD
Hi Vikinglad

Like OD I use GW paints and washes.

Quote 1

It is important that the type of paint used does not affect the underlying base paint surface.

This advice on the whole seems counterproductive to me.
If you are using a paint which can chemically effect the previous layer bin it

Therefore, if the model is painted with acrylics, the wash should be oil or enamel and vice versa.

I've been using acrylics over 20 years and have read a lot of material on the hobby I've never heard of this. I have never had to use an enamel wash over an acrylic base coat. As it's never been needed.

It is common to put a protective layer of varnish on the base coat of paint before applying a wash.

If you want to lose detail go for it. I can only imagine this is done to counter the chemical reaction that's going on. Unnecessary.

Quote 2

Furthermore, a wash needs to be applied to a gloss or semi-gloss surface, whereas a filter is best applied to a matt/flat finish.

In my experience it does not.

In closing I'm not disrespecting these comments. The person who typed this is probably a skilled painter and we all do things slightly differently. By all means Vikinglad try this method see if it gives you better results.

Hope this helps!
Reference URL's