TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Strength of Spirit Timing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How does everybody handle the timing of Father Joe's Strength of Spirit ability?

I know that he can attempt to cancel a card as it is being played, and can attempt to cancel a Remains in Play card as well. My question is regarding the timing of cancelling a card as it is being played, specifically "Oh my God, they've taken the..."

We play that you have to decide if you want to cancel it before dice are rolled. So in the case of "Oh my God, they've taken the...", you would need to cancel it before the Random Building is rolled in order to prevent zombies being placed on the board. But is that right? Can you wait to see the Random Building results to cancel it and prevent the zombies from being placed? Or in the case of Shamble, wait to see how far they will get before using the ability?
As with nearly everything in the game, you can see the end result before choosing to cancel or not.
Really? I thought it would be more like combat that once the dice were rolled, it would be too late to cancel the card.
Well, I was wrong.

http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....and_Fights
"As noted above, a card may not be canceled after it has already caused dice to be rolled (or re-rolled)."
Do note about cancelling fights:

Q20: Can a Fight be Cancelled after the Fight Dice are rolled?
A20: Yes. A Fight that is cancelled ends immediately and is not resolved (no one wins or loses the Fight, it just ends).

Amanda's ability is the exception there.
Wow... I admire you MG. I almost never see anyone admit they were wrong, especially when it is a master and a noob. I gave you a rep just because of that. Watchmen02

Oh... ya, I know about the cancelling after the dice are rolled. I've had my players deny me a kill twice with that!! Insane19 I just HATE when that happens.
For Father Joe, we often wait to see the outcome of the card (roll) before choosing to SOF and cancel it. Look at this FFP FAQ entry:

Q11: How does Father Joseph’s Strength of Spirit ability work?

A11: Strength of Spirit may be used at any time to attempt to Cancel a Zombie Card being played or that ‘Remains in Play’.

I think MQ's entry was specifically about cards cancelling other cards. Is Father Joe different? What is the consensus?
Like I said, I'm a noob, but I've always played that once the dice are rolled, the card is used and gone. The Father has plenty of time to use it before a die is rolled. I think we need to define when a card is used and gone. In a fight, once a card is used and a die is rolled, that card cannot be cancelled. Why would that example be different in any other part of the game? The "Remains in Play" is a different beast and never gets "used up", so there isn't any question with that.
(04-26-2011 09:40 PM)vikinglad Wrote: [ -> ]I think MQ's entry was specifically about cards cancelling other cards. Is Father Joe different? What is the consensus?

I don't think there is, nor should be, a difference. Father Joe is simply a card canceling card on a stick, and should follow the same rules for cancelling. I am good with the wiki answer, it is how I have been playing so there is no change to my games.
Nuts! I used to play that you only had to take the wound if you made the roll succesfully and cancelled the card, but that was nixed too. Ole father Joe keeps getting weaker and weaker for us.
Father Joe is still super-powerful, though.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's