TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Gaming table
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So right now I am using one of those terrible faux walnut pressboard foldout tables for my LNOE and other board games table, and the damn thing is so narrow that it is irritiating to use (and it weighs a million pounds!) I have been thinking about stealing the legs and brackets off the table and making a new table out of a full sheet of plywood. The only thing I have yet to decide is what to top the table with... I was kind of thinking felt, but my wife said that it will probably end up getting dirty etc.. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good material for the top of the table? Cheaper the better! Zombie17

(ill be posting build pics when I finally get this thing started.)
Cool project. I think felt is a pretty good idea. There has to be some way to clean it.
I just use a Table Cloth but you could use Floor Tiles or even contact paper.

OD
(05-18-2011 05:09 PM)vikinglad Wrote: [ -> ]Cool project. I think felt is a pretty good idea. There has to be some way to clean it.

I was kind of thinking I could just use my air compressor to blow the dust and crumbs out every once in a while... But if someone spilled their drink it would be game over lol, I just had another idea.. Maybe those commercial carpet tiles! They always have those at the habitat for humanity store for cheap.. hmmmmm
if you could get a hold of some varnish, just paint it and place some of that on there, it will give you a nice smooth hard coat
Felt is commonly used because it feels good, reduces slipping, and yet is thin enough it doesn't interfere with die rolling. My current 'card table' I use when I need an extra is covered with thin vinyl that has a cotton backing. It should be pretty cheap to get some. It's commonly sold in rolls as a shelf covering or upholstering material. Or, linoleum/vinyl tile could be another option if you want it more durable -- it's thicker so it wouldn't tear as easily.

Random searching makes it seem like vinyl's cheaper per unit than most fabrics.

They also sell cork in varying thicknesses, including by the roll, but it's usually pricey.
(05-18-2011 09:09 PM)Modembug Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2011 05:09 PM)vikinglad Wrote: [ -> ]Cool project. I think felt is a pretty good idea. There has to be some way to clean it.

I was kind of thinking I could just use my air compressor to blow the dust and crumbs out every once in a while... But if someone spilled their drink it would be game over lol, I just had another idea.. Maybe those commercial carpet tiles! They always have those at the habitat for humanity store for cheap.. hmmmmm

Felt is pretty cheap also. If you make it easy to change, you could re-felt it once every few months so it always looks nice. You could even change the colors periodically that way. Then it would look like a craps table top; perfect for dice throwin'. What if it had a little dice bumper to roll into on the side/corner?

I am curious to see the carpet idea, if you decide to go that route. It seems just as hard to clean if spilled on to me. I think I know the vinyl MQ is talking about; taht does sound like a good idea. It would be the easiest thing to clean.
Why use plywood?
If you take MDF you can paint it with any kind of latex paint you want.
Easy to clean. I'm a bit worried about using felt or other cloth types because of the chance of people spilling drinks on it.

If you just use paint you can even change the color once you get bored of it or wen it just gets to dirty.
MDF will also absord the paint so it will not chip.
(05-19-2011 09:21 AM)Emp Wrote: [ -> ]Why use plywood?
If you take MDF you can paint it with any kind of latex paint you want.
Easy to clean. I'm a bit worried about using felt or other cloth types because of the chance of people spilling drinks on it.

If you just use paint you can even change the color once you get bored of it or wen it just gets to dirty.
MDF will also absord the paint so it will not chip.

Well the foldup table that I am robbing the legs and support from is pressboard (MDF) and the thing weighs a ton, I was thinking plywood for how much lighter it is. I recruited my buddy to help me with the build tomorrow morning/afternoon before our gaming session tomorrow night! One other bonus of using felt/carpet would be that it is alot easier to pick up cards off of that material than it is harder materials (painted wood etc..) Im still kind of up in the air with exactly what I want to use, I am sure I will make up my mind once I get to the hardware store/fabric store though :P
Here is the build process of my new gaming table! When I went to the fabric store I happened upon the material that is used for headliner in cars, etc. It has a tiny bit of foam behind the fabric that gives you a great surface for rolling dice and picking cards up from the table. Watchmen02

[Image: img20110520143644.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[Image: img20110520164727.jpg]

[Image: img20110520173044.jpg]

[Image: img20110520173030.jpg]

[Image: img20110520175144.jpg]

[Image: img20110520181017.jpg]