TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Invasion From Outer Space - attaching helmets without wrecking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all. I thought I read some info regarding this topic on here, but it may have been another forum (can't find the original discussion).

I just bought IFOS. I don't want to attach the helmets until after I paint the figures. I was reading somewhere that there is a special type of cement that dries clear. This post also said DO NOT USE CRAZY GLUE as one of the effects is that it will make the clear plastic go cloudy to to the reaction of melting the plastics together. Does anyone know what kind of cement will work without that negative effect?

On a similar note, I was at a hobby shop today and found cool mini spaceships (they look kinda like the fighters in Independence Day). The models are that of a small ship sitting on top of a clear green "cone of light", which is then attached to a base. I felt these would look great once painted properly.

However, I bought the models previously assembled and it looks like the original owner didn't know enough NOT to use crazy glue. These clear plastic cones are clouded from the glue. Is there any way to make the plastic see-through again? Can it be buffed/polished/waxed or something?

Thanks for your help!
I don't think you will be able to get the plastic clear again. The foggy stuff is probably a chemical reaction inside the plastic.
Your best shot and not clouding the plastics is using modelkit glue, I use Revell.
I used hot glue to do mine. I just put two small drops on opposite sides of the helmet then carefully placed it on the mini and turned it 90 degrees to insure full coverage. It worked great and if you take hour time with it you wont see any glue at sll
I don't know of a way to do it for sure, but there is a super glue debonder that may help get off the layer, but that would all be conjecture.
I'm glad i read the reply's to your post on the glue and foggy helmets, I just got the game and plan on painting them, i would have been super ticked if that had happened to me.
Could also use Elmers glue as well and it dries clear.

http://www.elmers.com/products/glues-and-adhesives/
I posted about the helmets on BGG. The glue I recommend is called 'micro scale kristal clear'. It's basically a white glue but stronger and dries clear.

If your helmets have have been fogged by the superglue, grab yourself a bottle of 'future floor wax' and put some in a cup. Find a nice dust free work area and dip your frosted helmets in the Future, and then set them aside to let the excess run off and for the liquid to dry. It SHOULD remove any trace of fogging and leave the helmets nice and clear again. Watch out for dust and such getting onto the Future while it's wet. It will mess up the finish.
Reference URL's