TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Hasslefree Oakley for my Ash Card... Also Cartwright
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I finally finished my Oakley figure to go with the Evil Dead Ash card I made for LNOE. I am pretty happy with how it came out. Since I paint figs in twos usually, I did Cartwright also. Wadya'll thinks? Only have Johnny and Sally left of the original set now, then i can start my GH ones.

[Image: Ash_Front_2.JPG]

[Image: Ash_Front_3.JPG]

[Image: normal_Ash_Back_1.JPG]

[Image: Ash_Back_2.JPG]

Posing with his card. I printed it on nice photo paper and used a glue stick to mount it to the side of a vans shoebox similar to the game cardstock. GET THE CARD!

[Image: normal_Ash_with_Card.JPG]

...and Cartwright.

[Image: Cartwright_Front_1.JPG]

[Image: Cartwright_Back_1.JPG]

[Image: Cartwright_Back_2.JPG]

I used the same primer, flat enamel paints, and acrylic matte finishing spray. Ash is matte and feels great. He was metal. Cartwright is shiny and a bit sticky. He has been painted for about 2 weeks now and is still kinda sticky. Does anyone know why this might be and how to avoid it?
YEAHHHHH the great Ash!

They look great mate I'm glad you finally posted them! This is my theory I think the evidence with your two models speaks for itself.

They were both painted with enamel paints and sprayed with acrylic matt.

I would put a small wager that Ash is now fine because he's made of metal. Also any other metal figure painted with this combination will be fine.

First off (I'm sure you gave Jake a nice bath first) .I think the problem is enamel paints react with this type of plastic. I don't know this for definite as I'd have to experiment myself but I've heard about this a few times now. In FFP defence (to my knowledge) they never said to paint them or depict their models painted.
Thanks dude. I was afraid something like that may be at work here. Odd thing is, the only thing I changed up this time from my other LNOE figs was the matte finish. Before i was using one from a hardware store. I am not sure what it was, but I felt like it tended to lay down kinda thick. This new one is an acrylic one I bought from a game shop because I thought it may be safer for the plastic. I like that it is a thinner coat, but it is notably stickier than my other ones.

Maybe the thicker coat on them is masking the stickiness better? I wonder if a third or fourth coat of finish would help or hurt cartwright. He looks so cool, I don't really want to risk messing him up.
Cool looking figures VL, nice paintjob.
And as for the stickyness....I feel your pain. I had the same problem with all my figures and I'm sorry to say that the stickyness will never go away. My LNEO figures are so sticky they all came out of the box in one big blob. You could actualy hold one figure and all the rest just clung to it.

I will need to check up on what I did, my latest figures don't stick anymore bit I forgot what I did to them. I will get back to you when I find out what I did.
Right, I remember you posting something about that a few months ago. i was wondering what that recipe you used was. That would be cool, thanks.

I think I hit the raw plastic figure with my turpentine before it was primed once. Looking back, this may have been what damaged the plastic on this one, maybe. My others are pretty smooth. Now I am even happier with this pill box case I use to keep them seperate. Ash won't fit, though. How did you get your figures apart? How messed up are they from it?
I think the paint job is sweet. Curious where you acquired the Ash mini from?
and would your minis still be sticky if you put a Acrylic coat on them?
(09-04-2011 05:32 AM)Pred Wrote: [ -> ]I think the paint job is sweet. Curious where you acquired the Ash mini from? and would your minis still be sticky if you but a Acrylic coat on them?

Thanks! I am lucky enough to have a local game shop that has a greart on-hand stock of all different sorts of minis. GameKastle in Santa Clara, CA (no affiliation, I just like the joint). I believe SamuraiTrev made the first post I read about this figure. His paint job is completely outta hand!

The final coat I used this last time is from Americana. Its label says it is Acrylic Sealer/Finisher Matte. I had the same thought when picking this one, and chose acrylic for that reason. I am doing Johhny and Sally now, and I am trying a different thinner. I will post about it when I am done.

Or do you mean the undercoat? I used a Rust-Oleum "Special Plastic Primer" in white that I got from the hardware store.
hi, who's the producers of the ash mini?

may be they are selling others similiar...
Hi ugowankenobi

The company is called Hasslefree miniatures. Follow this link and check out more of their cool stuff! http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/ra...ange_id=33

Now get spending!Watchmen02
In regard to the stickiness of your finished miniatures, I would recommend using acrylics on plastics. Also, try and confine yourself to one type of paint from undercoat through to sealer. That is to say if your undercoat is acrylic, make sure everything you lay over it is acrylic too, even your clear coat.

It may very well be the base (the chemical used to keep the paint liquid) used in the enamels reacting with the plastic, making them sticky.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's