TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Hunt For Survivors - Extra Hero Dies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We played Hunt For Survivors (from Hero Pack 1) last night, and the Hero team found a couple of extra Heroes. We hit a bit of a snag though. I've searched for a FAQ on this but haven't found anything.

We had four Hero players, each of which normally had 1 Hero each. This scenario does not have "Always Zombie Heroes" by default, but has "Heroes Replenish." Given there were 4 players, every time one of their Heroes died, they became a Zombie Hero. So far so good.

Once a player gets one of the "extra" Heroes, though, due to the Heroes Replenish rule, that individual player could never have their last Hero killed (unless you somehow blew them both up at the same time, or something), and therefore, no matter how many of their Heroes you killed, you couldn't get a Zombie Hero out of it. The same problem would arise if you had less than four Hero players to begin with, since then at least one of them would start with more than one Hero.

Now I realize that as a part of this specific scenario, you stand a chance of discovering a Zombie Hero every time you flip over a number tokeni, but it feels like the Zombie player is getting cheated here, no? It's very hard as it is to take down a Hero, and it takes something away from it if you know you absolutely cannot get a Zombie Hero out of the deal.

In other situations I've seen (such as in Growing Hunger), any additional Heroes you discover are never replaced if they die, but those rules do not seem to apply to this if you are going by the book, since you're not using those special exploration markers.

I'm inclined to modify to add a house rule to this scenario that any extra heroes found do not replenish. What do you think? I'm tempted in general to always play with "Always Zombie Heroes" as well, but that is separate really. I think having it so the extra Heroes don't replenish is sufficient to "fix" this scenario.
(07-24-2011 02:43 PM)Mechanik Wrote: [ -> ]We played Hunt For Survivors (from Hero Pack 1) last night, and the Hero team found a couple of extra Heroes. We hit a bit of a snag though. I've searched for a FAQ on this but haven't found anything.

We had four Hero players, each of which normally had 1 Hero each. This scenario does not have "Always Zombie Heroes" by default, but has "Heroes Replenish." Given there were 4 players, every time one of their Heroes died, they became a Zombie Hero. So far so good.

Once a player gets one of the "extra" Heroes, though, due to the Heroes Replenish rule, that individual player could never have their last Hero killed (unless you somehow blew them both up at the same time, or something), and therefore, no matter how many of their Heroes you killed, you couldn't get a Zombie Hero out of it. The same problem would arise if you had less than four Hero players to begin with, since then at least one of them would start with more than one Hero.

Now I realize that as a part of this specific scenario, you stand a chance of discovering a Zombie Hero every time you flip over a number tokeni, but it feels like the Zombie player is getting cheated here, no? It's very hard as it is to take down a Hero, and it takes something away from it if you know you absolutely cannot get a Zombie Hero out of the deal.

In other situations I've seen (such as in Growing Hunger), any additional Heroes you discover are never replaced if they die, but those rules do not seem to apply to this if you are going by the book, since you're not using those special exploration markers.

I'm inclined to modify to add a house rule to this scenario that any extra heroes found do not replenish. What do you think? I'm tempted in general to always play with "Always Zombie Heroes" as well, but that is separate really. I think having it so the extra Heroes don't replenish is sufficient to "fix" this scenario.

Well, if you only have one individual human player, they have 4 heroes, and you don't ever get a zombie hero outside of the Black Zone anyways. Given the fact that always Zombie Heroes is not in the rules, you're probably not supposed to be getting many zombie heroes in the way that this game is done anyways...

I think that the fact that getting an extra hero is very rare, and getting 2 heroes is going to be almost ridiculously unlikely. I don't think that it requires a house rule for fixing it... You got unlucky both games, and could have just as easily gotten a zombie hero in any of those situations...

That being said, I would think that the same rules for the exploration tokens could be at play here, since you are basically getting the same thing. But if we find it favours the heroes too much, a dot balance might help.
(07-24-2011 06:07 PM)Magravan Wrote: [ -> ]Well, if you only have one individual human player, they have 4 heroes, and you don't ever get a zombie hero outside of the Black Zone anyways. Given the fact that always Zombie Heroes is not in the rules, you're probably not supposed to be getting many zombie heroes in the way that this game is done anyways...

I think that the fact that getting an extra hero is very rare, and getting 2 heroes is going to be almost ridiculously unlikely. I don't think that it requires a house rule for fixing it... You got unlucky both games, and could have just as easily gotten a zombie hero in any of those situations...

That being said, I would think that the same rules for the exploration tokens could be at play here, since you are basically getting the same thing. But if we find it favours the heroes too much, a dot balance might help.

Yeah you're right about the black zone, but I worry that replenishing the extra Heroes is unbalanced. I'll leave it for now and see how it goes. Even with replenishing the extra Heroes, I as the Zombie team still beat them :-p
Clearly they lacked the duct taped super revolvers Zombie17
(07-25-2011 04:12 AM)Magravan Wrote: [ -> ]Clearly they lacked the duct taped super revolvers Zombie17

Ha...

For those not in the know, he alludes to a game we played Saturday where Sheriff Anderson had two revolvers duct taped together, PLUS Holy Item, PLUS he had the Sheriff's advanced ability. Four ranged attacks per round with that guy. SICK.
Exploration markers or not, Growing Hunger states under the "New Hero Found" area...

"As a fifth character, this new Hero is NEVER replaced if killed, even if the Sun Track is in the Black Zone or the Scenatio uses Heroes Replenish Special Rule"

To me, the wording suggests that no matter the situation if there's ever any heroes over the initial starting number they aren't replenished. That would mean whoever has the fifth hero wouldn't replenish an extra hero until they were back down to 4 total heroes. Or possibly if any hero dies that player would take over the extra hero over so the heroes were balanced again at the initial starting amount. I could see it going either way.
Reference URL's