TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Line of Sight Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The following situation came up:

H = hero, Z = zombies, B = building, * = empty square

BBB**
BBB**
BBBZ*
*H***

Does the Hero have line of sight to the Zombie? I say no because the Hero does not have line of sight through the North/South wall, since they are not adjacent to it. The player controlling the Hero was trying to argue that because he had a Range 2 weapon, he could target the zombie by going one square right, and one square diagonally up/right.

The rules do say that you should use the shortest path to calculate the LOS, but in this case, the path going around the corner is 2 squares, and the path going through both walls is also two squares, so they are equal.

My argument though is that a) You can't curve ranged attacks around corners, and b) the most "direct" line of sight is what you should use, which is a straight line between the centres of the squares, which would clearly hit the vertical wall.

I also argued this... clearly the designer didn't want the following:

*Z***
*BBB*
*BBB*
*H***

If the Hero has a weapon with Range 3+, clearly he's not supposed to be able to see this Zombie and hit it. I mean, the entire building is in the way! Yet the way the other player was arguing it, they could get line of sight through the path diagonal left/up, up, diagonal right/up, which to me is clearly wrong.[/font]
I would say "no". On page 13 of the rulebook, the diagram in the bottom right shows the same situation. If the zombie is in the square labeled D, he cannot be seen.
Unless the hero was Wesley Gibson, then no, the hero has no line of sight.
By the way, here is Wesley Gibson:
http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...ustom-Hero
Forget my vote. I was a bit confused with the blank spaces. No he wouldn't have line of sight.
As I understand the rules, in the case diagrammed above the Hero would not have LOS on the zombie.

Jhwedmd
No LOS.
He must have really wanted to kill those zombies... but yeah, when in doubt, line of sight. Even if he was a trick shot of epic magnitude, the character can't see the zombie because there's no line of sight, and as such he cannot shoot at the zombie.
No LOS

General rule of thumb is sight is viewed to and from the centre of the space.

Using the example above, get something straight edged (pen, character card, whatever). Align the utensil so that it is in the centre of both Hero and Zombie squares... you'll find it will cross over the building - Therefore no LOS (hope the way I've articulated this makes sense).
Reference URL's