TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Zombie movements,hunger and splitting up fights?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok I just tried out Escape In The Truck for the first time,I have to say I really liked it! I can see it turning out badly and not fun if the cards needed are right on top or too far in the deck,But for me it seem to work out perfectly and came down to the wire.

I'll try to explain what happend the best I can,My question is basically who has the option to choose where the zombies move during a forced hunger move?
As I was saying I was playing escape/truck and 2 hero's were on one side of the board and the other 2 were on the other side,and there was a full wave a zombies all over and 4 of them were camping out the truck. So the search jenny already had the gas and pulled the keys,now it was time to make it to the truck. So everyone started moving closer and I moved becky 1 sqaure away from the truck to draw out the 4 in the center and moved jenny closer so on the zombies turn most of them would be on becky,well becky failed and was turned into a zombie hero,So now there is like 6 zombies in one square.

So now heros turn, jenny and another hero go to the truck,so the zombies turn they have like 8 zombies that can move into the center as hunger they would have to,but in that same time there are other hero's in another adjacent square where hunger also could be played,Is it zombies choice where to move any number of their zombies durring hunger,Or do they have to be split up?

Besides all that as far as splitting up the fights when there are more then one and hero and more then one zombie,Does the hero call who they are fighting? I know you can say for example,"billy will fight 2,and the other 2 heros will fight one each" But as stated in my game above I had a zombie hero. So does the hero say,billy will fight 2 zombies and one will be the ZH,or ios that choice up to the zombies?

Mod action: Splitting up paragraphs for readability. -mqs
If a Z is in a space with a hero, it doesn't move, even if into a space with another hero.
If a Z has multiple choices to move to from the Hunger, the zombie player chooses which, however he wants to.

On the zombie turn ("Fight Heroes step"), the zombies are paired off as evenly as possible. If it is uneven, the hero players who gets the extra(s).
At the end of each hero's go during the hero turn, if the hero ends move in a space zombies, he must fight ALL of those zombies ("Fight Zombies" step).
During a forced hunger movement, it is zombie's choice if there are two heroes within one space of that zombie. Zombies do NOT need to use hunger "evenly" (e.g., if there are 4 zombies in one space and four heroes in separate spaces, but all within one space, the zombie player does not have to send one zombie after each hero - he can and should gang up).

As for choosing fights, the heroes must split their fights evenly, but as far as I know, they are completely free to declare which zombie they are attacking if a ZH is in the space, too. The only other way I could see to play, in a case like that, would be for the zombie player to insist on the heroes taking their attack turns evenly sequentially (so, rather than Billy, Billy, Becky, Jenny, it would be Billy, Becky, Jenny, Billy), in which case all the heroes have to do is take the other heroess turns until you declare that the ZH is attacking, then step in with the hero they want to fight the ZH.
This is another one I thought was worth digging back up (pun intended ;-) ), as I actually have not heard this discussed much. I would agree, that in a case like this, the zombie player would decide to which hero(es) to move which zombie(s).

So, for example, if two heroes are in different spaces, that BOTH happen to be directly adjacent to, say, 4 zombies in a group, the zombie player could choose to send all 4 to one hero, split them up evenly 2 to 2, or however they see fit. In this case, they are required, by zombie hunger, to go after one of the heroes, but there are no specific guidelines in the rules saying otherwise in a case like this. Thematically, think of it like the zombies may collectively all notice one hero before the other, or some may notice one, and others notice the other, etc.

I would also agree that when heroes are splitting up zombie fights, they are free to say which hero is fighting which zombie. For example, you could choose to have a certain hero fight one of the Zombie Heroes, for whatever reason.
Zombies decide which space they want to move into. Secondly Heroes choose which order the fights take place and how the fights are paired off.

Remember if (for example) 4 Zombies are paired off between 2 Heroes and the 1st Zombie kills the Hero. This means the surviving Hero doesn't have to fight the remaining 3. The other Zombie's attack is lost. The 2nd Zombie is eating brains...

On the other hand if a Hero lands on a square with any Zombie(s) on, during the Hero turn, they must fight them all. Regardless if there's any other Heroes on the square.
(08-09-2012 12:47 AM)samuraitrev Wrote: [ -> ]On the other hand if a Hero lands on a square with any Zombie(s) on, during the Hero turn, they must fight them all. Regardless if there's any other Heroes on the square.

Makes sense since the Hero decided to do an "attack move" in this space by either staying there or entering fully aware of the zombies present.
Hi Trev

Can you confirm this? I thought that only the zombies paired off had their attacks cancelled? So in your example 2 heroes paired with 4 heroes, 1st zombie kills the hero then the 2nd doesn't attack (as their heror target is down and the zombie starts to feed) but the other two zombies (3 and 4) are still free to fight the second hero that they were originally paired with?

I suppose playing the first hero down becomes a meal allows the other hero(s) to escape, which could be a good tactic like what Shane did in The Walking Dead...
(08-09-2012 12:47 AM)samuraitrev Wrote: [ -> ]Remember if (for example) 4 Zombies are paired off between 2 Heroes and the 1st Zombie kills the Hero. This means the surviving Hero doesn't have to fight the remaining 3. The other Zombie's attack is lost. The 2nd Zombie is eating brains...
Wow, have I been doing this wrong? We have the zombies switch targets to the remaining heroes when the originally targetted hero dies. In other words, in my games, the hero has been fighting the remaining 3. Is this in the rulebook? I just took a look and didn't see this mentioned. Makes sense thematically.
(08-09-2012 05:16 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Trev

Can you confirm this? I thought that only the zombies paired off had their attacks cancelled? So in your example 2 heroes paired with 4 heroes, 1st zombie kills the hero then the 2nd doesn't attack (as their heror target is down and the zombie starts to feed) but the other two zombies (3 and 4) are still free to fight the second hero that they were originally paired with?

I suppose playing the first hero down becomes a meal allows the other hero(s) to escape, which could be a good tactic like what Shane did in The Walking Dead...

Yeah Zombies 3+4 still attack the remaining Hero as normal.
(08-09-2012 05:46 PM)vikinglad Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-09-2012 12:47 AM)samuraitrev Wrote: [ -> ]Remember if (for example) 4 Zombies are paired off between 2 Heroes and the 1st Zombie kills the Hero. This means the surviving Hero doesn't have to fight the remaining 3. The other Zombie's attack is lost. The 2nd Zombie is eating brains...
Wow, have I been doing this wrong? We have the zombies switch targets to the remaining heroes when the originally targetted hero dies. In other words, in my games, the hero has been fighting the remaining 3. Is this in the rulebook? I just took a look and didn't see this mentioned. Makes sense thematically.

I'm not sure if it is mentioned in the rule book. There have been some threads on this, though. This is definitely one many of us were probably doing wrong at some point.

However, this is correct. So, say 4 zombies are paired off against 2 heroes. In the very first fight, the zombie kills the hero. The second zombie that hero was going to fight no longer has a fight. The zombie does NOT then move to the other hero.

Thematically, you can think of it in this way: The zombie was already paired off with the one hero. If that hero goes down, the zombie is going to have himself a snack. He's not going to then turn around and go after a still living hero when there is a perfectly tasty snack already killed right in front of him.

Of course, the other hero still fights the two zombies paired with him/her. For argument's sake, you could thematically picture that as though they were engaged in battle at the time, so they have not yet noticed the yummy snack that was killed near them, hence they are still trying to kill their own good eats.
Reference URL's