TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: pulling cards from the discard pile.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
this was something that came up in a recent game, it was a small detail but made a big difference. When playing a card that allows us to pull a card from the discard pile, do we have to disclose what card it is? Regardless of whether its an item or event
When you play an event, it is discarded as part of the act of playing it. If it's an item, do what it says in the printed box.
Hi. No, you do not need to reveal which card you draw. Keep in mind, if you draw an item, you must display it. If you put it in your hand, it must be an event. So, the Zombie player will or should have a clue, but not the details of which event
thanks pjon, that's what I thought it was.
Hm. Thanks for clarifying the question for me with your answer, PJON. I guess I couldn't read this morning. From the FAQ:

Quote:Q5. - If my deck is getting low, can I count the number of cards left before it runs out?
A5. - No. Players may not count the number of cards left in any deck or discard pile (Hero or Zombie).

This implies that the contents of the discard pile are not entirely public knowledge... HOWEVER!

Quote:http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....NOE_Search
Q. Can players search their own or their opponent's discard piles?
A. Yes. You can look through any discard pile at any time.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/265888

It's always public what's removed from the discard. you're not going to be a dick and make everyone keep a checklist of what's in the pile before and after your pickup so they can check the difference, are you?

Other than it being explicitly stated in that rule Q&A: so many card/board abilities require you to know what's in there, it's plausible that removing cards from the discard should be public. Also, since most things that let you pick up from the discard are for a specific card (and not just any), it's just common courtesy to show it so everyone can be sure you took the right/legal card.
Yeah, I always play the exact same way mqstout does. Cards already in your hand are kept secret, but if you pull a card from the discard, it's expected that the table knows what that card is. As he said above, you want everyone to know you're playing according to the rules and not (either purposefully or accidentally) taking a card you shouldn't be.
mqstout wrote "it's plausible that removing cards from the discard should be public"

Hi, thankz for more clarification. I was gonna write about whats a legal draw and whats not. ......i was not gonna comment on the "dick" factor. Yes, I do expect anyone I play with to play fair/legal.

I mean if some one wants to draw a "blocked windows and doors" and not let me (the Zombie Player) know. So they can use it at, what they think is, a crital point during the game. Im ok with it.

As a Zombie player I can trash 40+ Hero cards, thats a lot of missed opportunity. Which I enjoy doing Insane21

I do agree totally with what mqstout wrote about the rest of the rules. 'Cause they are the rules. I also agree with what atramagus wrote "you want everyone to know you're playing according to the rules and not (either purposefully or accidentally) taking a card you shouldn't be." Yet, i have found nothing that directly states you must reveal what you draw from the discard pile. Like using...

Just What I Needed
Play Immediately
Take any card from the Hero Cards discard pile. If there are no cards in the discard pile, you may draw a new Hero Card.
or
Take any Scenario Search Item from the draw deck, then shuffle the deck.

I will ask what Scenario item they took, other than that. I will know what Item or its an event.

Thats just me
I agree with pjon sometimes it is crucial that the other player doesnt know what you are getting
I have to agree with mqstout on this. I dont want to see the zombies keeping a list of all cards in the discard pile just to know which ones they pick and since the discard pile is public it is only fair that the card be shown. otherwise it could slow the game down with the list being created and updated.
basically the situation was that as the heroes we drew a "play immediately card" allowing us to search the discard pile and pull a card. Since we didn't need much, we pulled an event card allowing us to cancel any zombie card. (this was for the burn down the manor house scenario). The zombies insisted on knowing stating that its in the rules. Long story short, they waited (a long time) until we finally used that card in order to play a card that removes any card from the discard pile from the game. Naturally they chose the gasoline and it took forever for us to find another card for gas.... My gripe is that they insisted on knowing what the card was and used that knowledge to make sure we used the card so that they could play theirs without interference.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's