TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: How many Dots is a Hero worth ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. So maybe its just me group. They would give up Replenish for, more starting Heroes. I think a Starting Hero and or Heroes, is worth more than 2 Dots for Replenish.

Most games start with 4 Heroes, and we can negotiate Dots. Horde for Replenish and hero cards, well stock free search for auto spawn and things like that.

So, if adding additional Starting Heroes. What value in Dots, would you place ?
I would say that two heroes are worth 4 dots. I come to this by the following math:
Standard setup is 4 heroes + 14 zombies
This comes down to 7 zombies per 2 heroes
Zombie horde adds 7 more zombies, and costs 4 dots
Ergo, 2 additional heroes should cost 4 dots, but should always be balanced by zombie horde.
Thanatos answers my thoughts PERFECTLY. Either zombie horde or zombies auto spawn.
Thank you Thanatos and Mqstout. My backwards twisted mind was thinking the same fuzzy logic. I agree. 2 Dots per Hero. Since Zombies only get Auto Spawn or Horde, one of them would have to be applied.
(10-12-2011 05:04 PM)thanatos Wrote: [ -> ]I would say that two heroes are worth 4 dots. I come to this by the following math:
Standard setup is 4 heroes + 14 zombies
This comes down to 7 zombies per 2 heroes
Zombie horde adds 7 more zombies, and costs 4 dots
Ergo, 2 additional heroes should cost 4 dots, but should always be balanced by zombie horde.

This is where dots get tricky. On a strictly number of models basis, sure, this balances out, but there's other factors to consider. What if you have Hero Starting Cards as well? You're effectively then multiplying (by some unknown factor) the effectiveness of both the hero starting cards and the additional hero. You're also making it easier to search for scenario search items and complete other objectives. You have to be really careful or it could throw the balance off.

I would probably make it worth 4 points for one hero, personally, and then try it out. Heroes are really powerful compared to zombies. I think either way it's the kind of thing you'd have to playtest a fair bit before you really know what the value ought to be.
Hi, Mechanik wrote,

What if you have Hero Starting Cards as well? You're effectively then multiplying (by some unknown factor) the effectiveness of both the hero starting cards and the additional hero. You're also making it easier to search for scenario search items and complete other objectives. You have to be really careful or it could throw the balance off.

I can agree with that as well. Yes, it does allow for extra Start Cards and more chances per turn to search. It also cuts down bardering. If 2 Heroes are worth 4 Dots and Autospawn or Horde is worth 4 Dots, we are done. No repelinish, no well stock, no free search, no anything else, No additional Start Cards too. Just having Repelinish allows for extra or free cards. Replinish also allows for Hero Sacrifice. To often i see a Hero who is Bitten, on their last Wound. Grab some Gas, and lighter.Then lore a whole bunch of Zombies and BAM !!!! self sacrifice is a wonderful thing.

I personaly think Replinish is a game delay. Yes, i understand it no fun losing your last Hero and then sitting out the rest of the game. If I have to Kill 4 Heores and you get 3 more to defend with ???? Grrrrrrr I kill one and another one pops up somewhere ? huh ?

To me atleast having a value on Extra Heroes is a place to start.
no offense PJON but I would probably sac my last hero to kill several zombies if he was that beaten up regardless of replenish. besides it just puts you one step closer to the hero kill limit. I do think that replenish doesnt make much sense in that if you have 4 hero players as opposed to 2 or 1. My group always plays replenish and zombie hero just to keep it interesting.
Posted by cantujalone - Today 04:09 AM
no offense PJON but I would probably sac my last hero to kill several zombies if he was that beaten up regardless of replenish. besides it just puts you one step closer to the hero kill limit

I know, more meat for the hungry.

I dont get Sacrifing a Hero. To me, thats when a team should pull together to save the Living. Thats what they do in the Movies Watchmen02
I have sacrificed my Hero before, aswell.

But wow, so the poll says its a split. 4 votes, 2 for 2 dots, 2 for 4 dots.

What if I start play testing it at 3 Dots ?
I just recently saw dawn of the dead again and I remember a guy staying in the bus and blowing himself up because he was bitten. I am pretty sure that sacrificing yourself so that others can escape is a reoccurring theme in all horror movies. 3 sounds like a good place to start, I hope you have happy hunting.
Hi So, I got to play test the Idea. We played Dead End, with the safe house. 4 Starting Heroes. I took auto spawn and horde 8 dots. He took 2 extra Heroes ( at 3 dots each ) and 2 starting cards. So the Hero team started with 18 cards. He then sat there for 2 turns and searched for 12 more cards. Thats a total of 30 cards before I could get close enough to land a hit. The Hero team actually searched so much, they were down to 5 cards in the Hero Deck. The whole team, minus 1, then used the Pick up in the Antique shop to re-fill the Hero Deck. 2 turns 20 cards back into the Hero deck.

The Hero team did win with 4 surviving Heroes.
Reference URL's