TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Diversity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I really, really like this game, but does it bother anybody else how this game has, like, no diversity at all? Surely this has been brought up before. The Hero characters are about evenly split between men (9) and women (7), I guess, but my work on the supporting cast of townsfolk has made me realize that there are far more men (8) there than women (1). Even male zombies are features far more prominently than female zombies. Then, of course, we have the obvious issue of Rachelle being the only character that isn't white. Top it off with effect's like Amanda's "Beautiful" and the Zombie card "This Could Be Our Last Night On Earth", making it clear that ever single character in this game (with the possible exception of Father Joseph) is 100% straight.

Now, I do get that this game is supposed to be based on zombie movies and that zombie movies themselves don't exactly have a fantastic track record when it comes to character diversity, but I don't think that it's too much to ask for that maybe the developers consider mixing it up a bit, as more modern movies are beginning to do. I can do some of the work myself (my group has house-ruled, for example, that "This Could Be Our Last Night On Earth" will work with any two characters rather than only one male and one female character), but it'd be nice if I didn't need to.
Hi, yup, i agree.

You are not the only person to house rule the LNOE card. Actually though, someone on this forum came up with a better explaination. ( i cant recall who it was) They had the concept of instead of sex something more philisophical (sp?)

What if Amanda turned to Jade and started appoogizing for all those years of torment she caused.

What if Victor turned to Sheriff and confessed for all his wrong doings.

What if Becky Turned to Sally and consoled her about the lose of her mother.

What if Sam turned to Father Joe and wanted to ask for forgiveness.

What if Goddard turned to Father Joe and wanted to seek G-D or convince Father Joe darwin was right, or wrong.

So, sex or sexuality does not have to be the subject.

Yup, Roechell'e (thats right) is the only one. Some one else on this forum wanted to, or did create those typical bad scarey movie rolls.

Hey, its a small town :p There is little diversity. I think the game comes from Washington State, if that means anything.

Bunch of male dominated ideas
(01-12-2012 05:33 PM)Twilight_Sonata Wrote: [ -> ]I really, really like this game, but does it bother anybody else how this game has, like, no diversity at all? Surely this has been brought up before. The Hero characters are about evenly split between men (9) and women (7), I guess, but my work on the supporting cast of townsfolk has made me realize that there are far more men (8) there than women (1). Even male zombies are features far more prominently than female zombies. Then, of course, we have the obvious issue of Rachelle being the only character that isn't white. Top it off with effect's like Amanda's "Beautiful" and the Zombie card "This Could Be Our Last Night On Earth", making it clear that ever single character in this game (with the possible exception of Father Joseph) is 100% straight.

Now, I do get that this game is supposed to be based on zombie movies and that zombie movies themselves don't exactly have a fantastic track record when it comes to character diversity, but I don't think that it's too much to ask for that maybe the developers consider mixing it up a bit, as more modern movies are beginning to do. I can do some of the work myself (my group has house-ruled, for example, that "This Could Be Our Last Night On Earth" will work with any two characters rather than only one male and one female character), but it'd be nice if I didn't need to.

Im still looking for the bathroom !!!
(01-12-2012 06:15 PM)PJON Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, its a small town :p There is little diversity.

That is just what I was about to write. I would find it more off-putting if this small mountain town had a representative from every minority group present. It would have such a I-shoe-horned-in-a-bunch-of-minority-groups-to-look-tolerant taste to it that does not reflect the genre represented at all. I hear where you are coming from, but I am glad they handled it as they did.

I think the worst minority-related slight in the game was the naming of the only apparently non-caucasian character Rachelle (pronounced Racial?)Watchmen02 I say apparently because, for some reason, Father Joe is Hispanic to me, but no one else seems to think so.
And Rachelle isn't even from Woodinvale. She's from another town.
Also, if it means anything, according the background for the game, this all supposedly takes place in the 80s....

As far as houseruling cards like LNOE, I am against it, but purely for game balance reasons. I play as the Heroes and always draw random teams. Based on the luck of the draw, my team will be safe from certain skip a turn cards. Since skip a turn cards are extremely powerful, I am ok with some of them being dead draws for the ZP. If you start tweaking it to make the game/card PC, it makes those cards useful in every game, making the ZP that much more powerful.

It is odd tho, that the balance of the skip a turn cards is not entirely even, there is not Male/Male skip a turn card.
There is "This could be our last night on earth" Male/Female
"Catfight" Female/Female
and "Bickering" all Heroes in one space.

Making it so there is a heirarchy of team makeup for what is safest from skip a turn cards, to most succeptible.
All Male (Bickering only)
All Female/3 female + Father Joe (Bickering and Catfight)
3 Male/1 Female (Bickering and LNOE)
2 Male/2 Female (all 3 has potential to be played)
There's also the student/non-student one. Not really a lost turn, but related. http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....Teen_Angst
(01-12-2012 07:35 PM)mqstout Wrote: [ -> ]There's also the student/non-student one. Not really a lost turn, but related. http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....Teen_Angst

True, however, there is Haunted By the Past, which must be played on a non-Student, so that acts as a balance for Teen Anst.
http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....y_the_Past
Considering that I am latino I use this character, and my friend Thomas uses this other character. We use these guys as a joke but its a winning combination!! A rip in the fabric of time caused these two cool mofo's to meet and make the world a little more safer!!Watchmen02
Please, stop trying to politicize boards games- especially ones that are meant to be mindless fun like LNoE. I can see your point about there only being one minority character (although I do agree with the guy that said it would be lame to shoe horn in every possible race just to have them there), but is it really a big deal how many females are on the townsfolk tokens? And is it really offensive or exclusionary towards homosexuals to make 12 random people from small-town America all straight? I think that's just realism, as opposed to making them all bi-sexual, which is what you've essentially done with your house rule.
Jesus f-ing christ....cant we have a game for games sake without getting all god dam P-C about it....FRACK!
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's