TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Too young?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My kids want to play LNOE with us... apart from not having a decent tactical vision of the game, do you think they're too young to play?

They're 8 and 10. The 6yo just likes to make the zombies go "uurrrrr" and potter around on the table lol
My son was about 10 when I first got it and had trouble following along.
It wasn't fun for him.
Now that he's 12 I may try again
YMMV.
If your kids want to play, I see no reason not to try. I think the best case scenario would be to have enough people so that each of them only has to control one hero a turn so it doesn't become overwhelming their first time playing.
Hi. I think games are educational.

If you think the game is to complex or long, simplify and shorten. Modify it, so you and your children have fun.

Can you kids play checkers ? LNOE could not be so far off. maybe start with just walking around the board, go through the actions of fighting. Letting them roll dice and explaining everything in a kid perspective.

make it fun, not so challenging. It will help lay the ground work for future gaming.

As for being a tactician---they will either get it or not, no matter how old.
(02-08-2012 04:56 PM)PJON Wrote: [ -> ]If you think the game is to complex or long, simplify and shorten. Modify it, so you and your children have fun.

Great idea. I would add that, for the first game, I would discretely ensure that they win. This may make them more likely to play again. I crushed my 9yo daugther in HeroScape the first time she played a year ago, and she still won't play it with me!
We split them up, so one was playing with me as heros and the other was playing with my gf as zombies, that way we could help them with the turn sequence and give advice on tactics, etc. Must have worked pretty well, they want to play again!

The eldest showed a lot more vision and tactics, although she wasn't too happy when her zombies were dying, until she realised they respawned! the younger one was playing as a hero, which is a little more challenging I think and he is a very gung-ho kind of personality. That was until he took a wound and made Billy run like a girly-boy away from all the action hehehehe
Thats good to hear. I tried to play with my 10 yr old niece but she could not get the mechanics down. She still liked the game though and wants to play my other board games.
There's a big jump in abstract reasoning that happens around age 10-13 (depending on the kid) that's pretty important to playing games like this.
My kids are 6 and 4, and though this game may be too complicated, they've actually got a great handle on several other games. I wouldn't be surprised if 8 and 10 they are knee deep in the more complicated. Depends on the kid. Just beat them when they drift off.
(02-10-2012 05:18 PM)Orguss Wrote: [ -> ]My kids are 6 and 4, and though this game may be too complicated, they've actually got a great handle on several other games. I wouldn't be surprised if 8 and 10 they are knee deep in the more complicated. Depends on the kid. Just beat them when they drift off.

Hahaha made me choke on my breakfast!

I have to turn off the tv otherwise they get distracted and I have to poke them to get their attention Insane07
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's