TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Survival, Variant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had an idea last night and play tested it the next day. It changes some of the rules, but fight mechanics, range and certain things remain the same. It is more of survival game, its long, and suited for a day, with some hardcore players, who know what they are doing.

*take note the sets i have are, Growing hunger, zombie pillage supplement, revenge of the dead supplement, hero pack one. and grave weapon miniatures.

The set up:

The manor is placed in center and the 4 edges are put around it. my 4 remaining L shaped plate, i made little rectangles and put them on the edge of the board.

Cards i Removed and seperated:

Zombie Cards removed: Any spawning pit, Taken over, play immediately's (except surprise attacks) any of the cards that are not fight cards basically.

Hero Cards, I separated the equipment's and event cards, removed the play immediately's.

*I am constantly added and removing as i play and have not got the mixture just right yet, less salt Watchmen02

Starting out:

The Sun tracker, is now the day tracker, we started on 7 (you can make it longer or shorter if you wish), which represents 7 days. there are 5 turns per day, after each hero turn is the zombies turn. The zombie player only really moves and fights in his turn ( no re spawning or drawing cards).

Zombie player spawns automatically at the start of each day. 3 D6. Minimum 3, maximum 18. (on about 9 spawn points)

The heroes and zombie play draw their daily power card each day, which is the separated Event cards and zombies fight cards. The zombie player draws a card for each hero in play and has no hand limit.

Storeroom:

Heroes start in the manor, which is their store house, they draw 2 cards each from the separated equipment hero cards, and they go in the store room. (the heroes can grab any card from the storeroom during their exchange items phase.) heroes still have their 4 item limit.

Food:

Food is something i put into the game. I used the Die zombies Die scenario card to keep track of food. and used the unused spawning tokens as Food individual items. At the start of the game the heroes roll 2 D6 to see how much food is in the store room. The idea is at the end of each day. which is 5 turns. (the heroes must have food on them, if away from the store room) the heroes must consume their food rations. otherwise take a wound.

they can either take some food from the storeroom onto their person, if travelling, or be in the manor house (storeroom) to eat.

How much food they consume is based on the character card. I decided, half the health boxes (rounded up). Basically, youths= 1 food
adults= 2 food.

Also the heroes can eat the health boxes worth of food, to heal one wound.

Guns:

Guns have no break rolls in this game, instead when a character picks up his/her gun for the first time, they roll to see how much ammo they have. For this i got my test players to have some pencil and paper to keep track. We came to that agreement all guns have 6 rounds to start off, whenever they find one. When the roll to see how much ammo there is, they roll 2 d6 and add that on there paper. they do not however have to discard their gun when it is empty.

Searching:

There are several things the heroes can search for during their turn, when they enter the building. (no searching in the manor though.)

search includes:
food - roll a d3, or half a d6. the result is how much food gets eqquiped to character, i used the spawning pit tokens.

Ammo- if character has a gun, they can roll to find ammo, on a D3. there is no carry limit for ammo, the hero can just mark down extra ammo he has picked up.

Equipment- the hero takes a card from equipment pile.

Barricades- the hero can pick up a barricade, I have little lego pieces for this. the barricade counts towards the item limit and can be placed in the exchange items phase, and can place down as many as they have on them.

Zombies:

Everyday and at the start the zombie player spawns 3 D6 zombies. and draws zombie cards for each hero. and moves them and fights them the same way as stated in the last night on earth rules. However, to bust through walls to heroes within the building space the zombie player must roll 3+ to pass through, fail the roll and the zombie ends its move banging on the wall. A zombie can move through doors normally if there are no heroes within the building . To pass through barricades however, the require a 6 roll to pass through.

Winning/tactics: The heroes must survive the set amount of days to win. while test playing, the hero player set some heroes in the manor with weapons to defend, while others collected food, and or barricades or ammo. The barricades were extremely useful keeping a horde around the whole manor, which was very exciting. The idea is to create several threats that the heroes must think of, planning strategies, and even arguing. 'will we run out of ammo' 'we need to stop them from getting in.' etc.

there are several things that need to be thought out the play test idea was successful in my eyes. Anything you didnt understand?, i probably left something out. just ask me, and i can let you know.

Cheers

Mike
Hi Mike, i kinda like it. I think i see how some of it will work. Couple of questions ???

Storeroom:

Heroes start in the manor, which is their store house, they draw 2 cards each from the separated equipment hero cards, and they go in the store room. (the heroes can grab any card from the storeroom during their exchange items phase.) heroes still have their 4 item limit.

So a hero can search in the manor, and draw 2 hero equipment cards ? The discard pile is the store room, and they can pick up any item in it, during the exchange phase ?

However, to bust through walls to heroes within the building space the zombie player must roll 3+ to pass through, fail the roll and the zombie ends its move banging on the wall. A zombie can move through doors normally if there are no heroes within the building . To pass through barricades however, the require a 6 roll to pass through.

Wow, thats is tough. Normal barricades are passable on a 4 plus. Legos, your awesome ! Watchmen02

and no food can be found in the manor ?

I dont understand using the DZD card to track food ? if your using spawn tokens ? If you need more tokens use the green goo tokens to represent 5 food ? etc...

I would use the DZD card to track turns during the day ?

Zombie Cards removed: Any spawning pit, Taken over, play immediately's (except surprise attacks) any of the cards that are not fight cards basically.

Here is where i dont like, no bickering ? LNOE, lose faith ? resilent ? etc ? They are not fight cards, but can play heavy on tactics.

I like the addition of the food factor mainly. I mean there is a "Sam's Diner"
thanks for your reply. The manor has cannot be searched, the two cards they get are two starting cards they get at the beginning of the game, they can drop off and pick up things from that storeroom in the exchange phase..

its almost like a safe house for items (makes it a place to defend, as it may house a majority of your food and equipment). your main food can be stored there. The spawning pit tokens, were just to represent food for a hero taking food away with them, or returning it from out in the feild.

The DZD card is just to keep track of if you have a lot of food in the house. like 13 or 14 bits of food. Adults consume 2 a day and youths consume 1 a day. with four heroes, thats a lot of nibbles.

yeah i might make the barricades eaiser to breakthrough. my thoughts were, imagine the house is surrounded and you are safe, but the food stores are running low. someone will have to leave the comfy barricaded room for some food at some point.

as for the cards Like i said some cards can be added and removed. just to see how things work. I have not found the right balance yet.
Hi, ok that helps.

Heroes get 2 start cards.

The Store Room. Is it a specific square on the manor, or any where in the manor ? Heroes may drop items such as guns, med kits etc... ?

How do you track the turns during the day ? ohhh and Heroes go first ? not the normal zombie then hero turn ?

Insane21 someone will have to leave the comfy barricaded room for some food at some point Insane16
I like it. I love scenarios with the manor house. And I love scenarios with just a huge favorable win for the zombies.
(02-10-2012 03:26 PM)PJON Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, ok that helps.

Heroes get 2 start cards.

The Store Room. Is it a specific square on the manor, or any where in the manor ? Heroes may drop items such as guns, med kits etc... ?

How do you track the turns during the day ? ohhh and Heroes go first ? not the normal zombie then hero turn ?

Insane21 someone will have to leave the comfy barricaded room for some food at some point Insane16

the store room yes, is any where in the manor house, i made a collective storeroom pile, and you can store anything there, thats what makes it a vital structure you want to secure.

For tracking the turns per Day, i use a dice (bigger, or different colour.) and just turn the die to the corresponding number of the turn.

as for starting, i played just regular rules. zombie player isnt really drawing cards during the day, he just moves and fights. (sort of the ever growing threat.)
Hi, so not getting it.....

Ok on a day their are 5 turns. at the start of a day, zombie player draws a zombie card for each hero still alive. Heroes get to draw how many action cards ?

During the day turns,

heroes can move, search, shoot, and fight like normal. using your added search.....etc

zombies can move and fight.

so a student could still give up a move action during the day to heal, during each day turn ?
The heroes draw one card each from the Event card pile each day.. (Daily Power.)

yes a student could still give up there move turn to heal. or could eat 2 items of food to heal.

*like i said, the idea is there, it just needs more play testing, with your own variations, that may be more fair. find things that work, and that don't

Cheers
I like it. Do up a PDF once you work the bugs out and I'll play Watchmen02
Reference URL's