TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: With some bad luck, Escape in the Truck can be a very brief scenario!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I finally got a chance to play the Growing Hunger expansion with my kids (thanks to Presidents Day) and we chose to play the Escape in the Truck scenario because we had not played it yet.

My two younger kids wanted to be heroes so I let them use 5 dots worth of special rules (well-stocked buildings, 1 hero starting card, free search markers) and my older daughter and I just used 4 dots (zombies auto spawn). Well the game was so lopsided that the heroes never even used any of the free search markers!

We randomly chose L-boards and one of them had the gas station. My daughter had Stacy who starts in a random building which ended up being...the gas station! Two of the heroes didn't have their building and started with the truck. The last hero (Sam) was in the diner. So on the first turn Stacy picked up gasoline from the hero deck (because of the gas station pickup). On Sam's first turn he moved to the truck. Meanwhile one of the starting hero cards was "Just What I needed" and so when turn #1 ended, three heroes were on the truck, with the keys, and Stacy already had the gasoline!

Turn #2 Stacy rolled a 3 to get to the truck. All of the zombies in the regular spawning pits were too far away to reach the truck. We only had two zombies make it to the truck because we had a zombie card that took over the diner and put a spawning pit there.

The zombies had one shot in turn #3 to stop the heroes because Stacy killed one of the attacking zombies, had "Bitten" played on her, and had to fight the other zombie with a chance to become a zombie hero. But alas the zombies rolled only 1's and 2's all game and turn #3 ended with the truck leaving town full of cocky heroes, running over zombies on the way out.

I just got whupped by a 6-year-old and a 9-year-old. When they asked how many turns it took and my 12-year-old said 3 the young ones just burst out laughing. That's okay. Zombie Dad will have his revenge... Zombie21
Lol, ouch. I know it was young 'uns you were playing with, but those were some pretty generous dots you gave them Watchmen02

Regarding the way things played out for you, about the only thing I would have done differently would be how you handled the "Just what I needed" card. Just about the only house rule I play with is that if a card that allows you to search for a scenario search item is drawn as a Hero starting card, that Hero draws again, and the search card is shuffled back in.
Oh man, my first time playing this scenario was also very brief. This was a night I introduced the game to a friend of mine. I let him be the hero side for his first few games since I thought it would be easier to learn and also more appropriate. Eventually he claimed that it was easier to win as zombies so I let him play that side and pick the scenario, and it just so happened to be this one. I decided to introduce the concept of hero combinations to him by abusing Becky & Joseph with Amanda hiding all over the place to make paths to destinations a lot more clear.

Needless to say the game ended in about seven turns after I canceled every card of his that could have made a comeback. lol he was so mad.
(02-21-2012 01:54 AM)munkymuddface Wrote: [ -> ]Lol, ouch. I know it was young 'uns you were playing with, but those were some pretty generous dots you gave them Watchmen02

Regarding the way things played out for you, about the only thing I would have done differently would be how you handled the "Just what I needed" card. Just about the only house rule I play with is that if a card that allows you to search for a scenario search item is drawn as a Hero starting card, that Hero draws again, and the search card is shuffled back in.

That sounds like a good house rule! It was kind of a bummer for the game to end so quickly. It would have been a whole different deal if I had won the fight against Stacy and turned her to a zombie hero. Then the heroes would have been without gasoline and sitting in the truck with a zombie hero, with a dozen more zombies converging from all sides.
I'm not sure what exactly happened. You can only use the PICK UP ability if the item has already been used and is in the discard pile. You cannot take it straight out of the Hero Deck. Am I right?
"well-stocked buildings". Never use this dot ability in any scenario with a Scenario Search Item.
(02-21-2012 05:16 AM)mqstout Wrote: [ -> ]"well-stocked buildings". Never use this dot ability in any scenario with a Scenario Search Item.

I should have thought of that. Live and learn...
(02-21-2012 05:14 AM)D153453D Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure what exactly happened. You can only use the PICK UP ability if the item has already been used and is in the discard pile. You cannot take it straight out of the Hero Deck. Am I right?

I don't know if you have Growing Hunger yet but as mqstout referred to, the "well-stocked buildings" special rule allows you to grab a pick-up item from the hero deck if there is not one in the discard pile. I was actually very surprised that it was listed at only 1 dot. It seems to be a pretty big step up for the heroes.
The first time I played this scenario (with just the base game) it was over in less than 4 turns as well - which is why I like the varient I saw on this site turning the truck into a helicopter and then having the numbered markers to find the pilot. :-)
(02-21-2012 05:19 AM)goodcop2000 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-21-2012 05:16 AM)mqstout Wrote: [ -> ]"well-stocked buildings". Never use this dot ability in any scenario with a Scenario Search Item.

I should have thought of that. Live and learn...
(02-21-2012 05:14 AM)D153453D Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure what exactly happened. You can only use the PICK UP ability if the item has already been used and is in the discard pile. You cannot take it straight out of the Hero Deck. Am I right?

I don't know if you have Growing Hunger yet but as mqstout referred to, the "well-stocked buildings" special rule allows you to grab a pick-up item from the hero deck if there is not one in the discard pile. I was actually very surprised that it was listed at only 1 dot. It seems to be a pretty big step up for the heroes.

I have Growing Hunger but have never used well-stocked buildings. Thanks.
Reference URL's