TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Wet Palette
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is anyone using this technique?
I tried it for the first time last night and it was truely awesome.
Being a slow painter I always had the problem of my (acryl) paints drying out on my mixingtrey. Then I just added a little more water to get things going again but as we all now...more water means clearer paint'..less coverage, ...

So i searched for a sollution and I think the wet palette is just the thing for that.

I will post some links here on how to make them.

By Painting With Demons (if you want to spend some cash)

By CombatPainter (made with stuff you have in your house)

All the stuff I found was in english so sometimes for me it is hard to understand what the stuff is they are talking about. Parchment paper for example. I think I know what that is but I'm not going to buy me a entire stack of paper just to use one sheet in months. So then I came across baking paper. We have that here in our house, only downside of it is that it is brown and not white so it kinda changes the real color. So next time I'm in the supermarket I will keep my eyes peeled for white instead of brown.
As soon as I have my new camera I will post a picture of my DIY wet palette.

So all you painters out there, give it a try and if you already use it, post your findings.
Thanks emp this does actually make sense and the guy obviously know what he's talking about. I will give this a try myself. Thanks for posting.
I painted some more tonight and just picked up my palette and continued. That is just so great. Next step is finding something I can put a lid on and close it. I have read reports of people keepi,g their paint wet for a week by putting it in the fridge.
My wife got me some special "wet palette paper" for Christamas, not realizing I use enamels, but I still use them the same way. I put a bit of thinner on a spot, then lay some paint on top. Not sure it keeps the paint from drying as fast, but I love them because clean-up is way easier than the plastic trays I used to use.
So what kind of paint are you guys using, needing a palette? Just curious as i have some games workshop stuff laying around. Actually started today on my first models in years. But i simply have the right colours (they have a wide range), open and close the jars when done. they never dry out. Some of the paint is from maybe 10 years back, when i started warhammer for a brief period.

Noticed that i saw a lot of glossy models on the website 2. Not a real fan of that, and can recommend GW paint for nonglossy looks. (Although i don't know if many support this. it's still quite expensive, and i'm not really at home in the painting scene, so don't know what else might do the trick)
I use my old Games Workshop paints (still going strong after more than 20 years) as well as new paint I picked up from Vallejo. The use of a palette is always recommended because you need to thin the paint down with a little water because it is just to thick straight out of the jar.
And using a palette you can mix some colours up example for highlighting.

When using a normal palette the acryl paint dries pretty fast and now on this wet palette it doesn't.

As for the glossyness, maybe that is because of the picture taking you think it is glossy lwsaki?
Some people use gloss varnish to proect their figures but I think most of us painters here use mat varnish.

Vikinglad, well yeah I guess it can be used in that way too Watchmen02
never thought of that. I always thought that they use different paint. And mabye because of flash photography the glossyness is very visible. I'm still looking for a good mat spray, any recommendations?
I use the purity seal from Citadel.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalo...prod842206

i'm very happy with it and it dries out very hard and protects very wel.
One thing I find is that it gives just an extra "pop" to the colors on the figure. No shine but...well I don't realy know how to explain it. It is like you add more contrast in a way. Like it makes the colors come alive.
(03-16-2012 09:34 PM)Emp Wrote: [ -> ]I use the purity seal from Citadel.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalo...prod842206

i'm very happy with it and it dries out very hard and protects very wel.
One thing I find is that it gives just an extra "pop" to the colors on the figure. No shine but...well I don't realy know how to explain it. It is like you add more contrast in a way. Like it makes the colors come alive.

Thanks. Will be picking one up on monday, as i just finished my first 7 zombies, and want to coat them asap. I assume the sell those at GW shops as well.

Here is a link to the thread were i posted my figs. http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...st-Zombies
Yeah, I got mine in a GW shop.
Reference URL's