TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: latest paint jobs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
While the kids painted farm animals, dogs, and cats today I painted two more heroes.

I haven't upgraded my supplies yet (those nice brushes and paints look pretty pricey) but I did try thinning my base paints this time to avoid lumpiness. My projects today were Stacey and Amanda. Is it me or is there just not much detail in Amanda's face? I even tried a wash to see if I could pull out more contrast but it really didn't do much.

[attachment=1302]

[attachment=1303]

I let my daughter pick the colors for Amanda and my wife the colors for Stacey although I did throw in an additional color for the skirt because it was supposed to be black and that would have been an overwhelming amount of one color.

The bummer about taking these hi-def close up photos is that after I'm all done I look at the pictures and see little mistakes I didn't see with the naked eye. In addition to the better supplies I could really use that crazy x-acto robot thing with the clips and the magnifying glass!
Hi goodcop thanks for sharing. Your painting's getting neater. Also the paint's gone on a bit thinner so overall the finish looks a bit smoother. What I would work on now is use a wash or shade. Followed by highlights to give your models depth. With the new brushes and paints you haven't got to get them all at once. Maybe just buy 1 standard brush and say 3 or four colours. Choose from Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Brown, Black, White and a Metallic. Then just add to your collection of paints as and when you can. Each pot of paint should last you for AGES.
Hope this helps and keep up the good work!
Yeah, thinner paint and gradually increase your coats. This is the best way to get a crisp uniform layer. These ladies look really good, and I also noticed that Amanda's face looks similar to a potato (no features). Good job on these 2!
Your making great steps goodcop. But i have to agree to the potatoface comment and support what samuraitrev says. You should go for some washes. It's not that hard to do, and a real easy way to give your models some more depth. Highlighting isn't my strongest point, as i noticed with my current paintjobs, but with a wash you'll get a very good result, even without the highlights. Keep up and you'll be painting like a pro in no time. Watchmen02
Excellent, it is so great to see people grow in skill.
The Mrs. Potatohead look of Amanda could also be poor cast. She schould hook up with my Victor cause he looks like Mr. Potatohead here Watchmen02

Overall a good next step mate!
My Jenny has kinda a potato face. Despite my awesome washing skills, it still looks sub-par.

Great job on these. If you got a little more agressive with washes and highlights, I think you would be really happy with the results. It sort of blends in all of the little imperfections, as well as adds some depth to everything. You are definitely on the right path.
(04-02-2012 11:19 PM)vikinglad Wrote: [ -> ]My Jenny has kinda a potato face. Despite my awesome washing skills, it still looks sub-par.

Great job on these. If you got a little more agressive with washes and highlights, I think you would be really happy with the results. It sort of blends in all of the little imperfections, as well as adds some depth to everything. You are definitely on the right path.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I've been trying washes but I'm either diluting them too much or maybe not leaving the stuff on when I should. Sometimes I use a wash (for instance on a face) then it looks to me like there is way too much dark contrast on the face so I panic and brush off most of the wash before it dries. I think one of the first nice paint purchases I'm going to make is some of the GW washes so that I don't have to make my own.
Washes always dry out much lighter. Don't worry about it being to dark it will dry lighter and you van always highlight it.
(04-03-2012 07:09 PM)Emp Wrote: [ -> ]Washes always dry out much lighter. Don't worry about it being to dark it will dry lighter and you van always highlight it.

That's good to know. I always feel like my character is going to have a raccoon face or something.
I recently came across a new type of face painting in the latest White Dwarf. This can be the proof for not worying when things get to dark on you Insane20

Sorry for the pic being a little to dark (no pun intended Zombie24
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's