TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: How the fuzzle do I do this?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I have never painted a miniature but I would like to try this with my zombies and heroes but my problem is I have no idea what I am doing....really I dont....I am even a man and I admit this. Does anyone have any good links or some step by step instructions or recommended books or something that would get me on my way?
(04-09-2012 02:53 PM)alderdust Wrote: [ -> ]So I have never painted a miniature but I would like to try this with my zombies and heroes but my problem is I have no idea what I am doing....really I dont....I am even a man and I admit this. Does anyone have any good links or some step by step instructions or recommended books or something that would get me on my way?

You are in luck, alderdust! There are a few very experienced painters here always willing to give advice (I found out because I just painted my first minis last month!) and a lot of the information is captured in one place.

On the forums, go to The Lounge, then The Tomb (which is samuraitrev's forum). At the top you will see "A Brush With Death" sub-forum. That whole sub-forum is instruction on painting. Look for the beginner's guide to painting minis and the guides to painting zombies to get started.

Have fun! I had no idea painting little guys would be so relaxing and satisfying.
thanks ill be looking into it all day at work haha!
Take a look at Samurai's posts in his special corner http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Foru...with-Death
If you have any questions, just ask. The ones who know will help you out for sure.
Like was said before, I would suggest reading through all of SamuraiTrev's painting tutorials in the "A Brush with Death" section of his "Tomb" forum. Also, you may want to give it a practice on some lesser figures first (like plastic army men or cowboys), to get a feel for some of the techniques.
(04-10-2012 01:17 AM)vikinglad Wrote: [ -> ]Also, you may want to give it a practice on some lesser figures first (like plastic army men or cowboys), to get a feel for some of the techniques.

This is what I was going to suggest. Using practice miniatures is a really good idea. I also got a book when I was starting out which I think was called 'How to paint citadel miniatures.' from Games Workshop. It had some useful techniques in it and from what I remember was inexpensive, although the internet probably has all the tutorials you need and more.
I've heard the LNOE figures can react poorly to some types of paint. Something like the paint never dries? I use Citadel paints from Games Workshop with no problems. Good luck and be sure to post some photos.
(04-10-2012 04:29 AM)BanjoBoy666 Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard the LNOE figures can react poorly to some types of paint. Something like the paint never dries? I use Citadel paints from Games Workshop with no problems. Good luck and be sure to post some photos.

The acryl paints were never the problem, it was the varsnish that did it.
(04-10-2012 07:12 PM)Emp Wrote: [ -> ]The acryl paints were never the problem, it was the varsnish that did it.

That is what I have heard too, and was a bit worried that I would get the 'sticky' models people were talking about after I sprayed them with varnish but mine are all good, no stickiness at all.

In reply to my earlier post about the painting citadel minatures book, I dropped my pot of blood red on the floor the other day and it broke (luckily I was ouside, my wife would have killed me if I had dropped it in the house) so I went to buy a new pot. The whole citadel paint range has been changed (and from what I can see these new paints look incredible), and they have updated that particular book. It now also comes with a DVD so you can see someone doing the techniques described in the book. It seems to have gone up significantly in price but the whole book and DVD looks like an awesome package now. I'd definitely recommend having a go at painting some miniatures, I really enjoy it. There is also something quite satisfying about playing with the minis you've painted.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's