TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: The Road to Woodbury - Rise of the Govenor Sequel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Robert Kirkman talks Upcoming Novel- The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury
After the success of the The Walking Dead‘s first novel, The Rise of the Governor, Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga are working on the follow-up. Due out this October, Kirkman provided some additional details on The Road to Woodbury and why he decided to tell the story as a book series over incorporating it into the comics:

Via Omnivoracious: Amidst all this, you are still writing The Walking Dead—and not just in comics form. I think a lot of fans were surprised that Rise of the Governor released in an entirely prose format. Why not tell this story in a comic?

Robert Kirkman: I’ve always liked the idea of doing stand-alone Walking Dead novels. I think that it’s a fun medium to work in, and it’s something I’ve always wanted to do. I have a strict rule that I don’t like to do a lot of backstory in The Walking Dead. It was kind of an easy out for me to do a backstory in a different format. The Governor is a very interesting character in the comic series; he’s very beloved as a vile villain. I always had a lot of backstory for him that I never intended to get to, but being able to do it as a novel seemed like a good idea. You know, I’m very busy and never had the time to actually make it work.

My manager introduced me to Jay Bonansinga, who is a brilliant novelist, and I started talking to him about the possibility of co-writing the novel and it all came together. I’m very proud of the work Jay and I did, and I think we’ll be doing it again very soon.

That was my next question, and it sounds like you have more novels in you.

Robert Kirkman: I do, I do. You know what, I’m just going say that the second novel will be out in October, I believe, and it’s going to be called The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury, and it’s going to be a direct sequel to Rise of the Governor. We’re going to meet new characters as they come to Woodbury and see how Woodbury is founded, and how the Governor continues to grow as a character. It all takes place before we met the Governor in the comic book series, and there’s a lot more story to tell with that guy. We’ll also look at others—Lilly is going to be another focus. It’s going to be fun to explore those characters again.

——

The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury is currently available for pre-order as a hardcover for $24.99 and will also be available as an eBook. The release date is listed as October 16th, but that could change between now and then. For more information on the first novel, visit our earlier coverage at: http://dailydead.com/exclusive-audio-cli...-governor/

Source: Omnivoracious
Hey I live 46 minutes from Woodbury.

OD
gunna have to pick this up
I am reading this now!! Very exciting read......so far.
Started this one a few days ago. I'm generally a novel kinda guy versus comics, so when I found out Kirkman was working with a novelist to put Walking Dead into the purely imaginative world of the long-form written word I was nothing but excited.

What perhaps surprises me most about the Walking Dead novels (Rise of the Governor and now Road to Woodbury) is that I find the dialogue to be more natural. The comics have always bugged me because the way people talked is always just a little off.

Getting the flashback of the Governor's origin was a treat, and now getting to read all about Lilly and her backstory will hopefully prove just as much a treat.
Both of these were an the book store a couple of weeks ago & I passed.But I'll probably pick them up
before the years over...the only problem is that I'll probably be motivated to pick up the Walking
Dead Board Game & try to pimp it into a real game .

OD
(11-09-2012 01:18 AM)Irish Daigle Wrote: [ -> ]The comics have always bugged me because the way people talked is always just a little off.

I think this is only natural based on the medium the storyteller is using. I can't say I have read the Walking Dead comics or books, but I can only imagine it is the story that grabs everyone, not just the hacking and slashing of Z's. Imagine having to put the detail of a Stephen King novel into a 32 page paneled medium. A lot of the dialogue has to be truncated and reworded to keep the essence of the story and convey it to the reader. I have always respected comic writers in their ability to create huge universes with massive restrictions on how they can deliver not only the story, but also the nuances that only a prose novel can.

I'll have to look into both of these. Does anyone know if I have to read the comics first to understand the context in either of these two books?
(11-09-2012 02:18 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote: [ -> ]I'll have to look into both of these. Does anyone know if I have to read the comics first to understand the context in either of these two books?

I personally would read the first 60 or so issues of the comic, as both the novels deal with characters and places that are pretty big parts of the most polarizing arc of the comic series, and reading the novels before reading the comics would cheapen a lot of what happens.
agree with the daigler, plus, the comic is amazing. Nuff' said.
Wife & I hit the Book Store Today & I picked up both books.I'm off again Thanksgiving week,
so I'll have some wine lite up the fake fire place & have a read.

OD
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's