TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Project:DOOM!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently obtained a copy of FFG's DOOM through a trade and enjoyed the sculpts of the miniatures. The only problem I had was with the Taggart models (marines). I feel these guys could be beefed up and decided to replace them some pewter models from my favorite line, Chronoscope! Since this game has not yet been played by myself I am in no rush to finish these models. I will post the before and after results here.
Good Idea the FFG DooM marines are not that impressive.

OD
I have an (unplayed) copy of Doom. Love the components, but every time I'd haul it out it'd give me a headache & I'd pack it back away. Insane20

Recently though I DL'ed the UH play aid, the solo rules & just got the semi-random scenario generator (all from BGG), so I finally feel up to tackling it ('course I just got into Claustrophobia too, which has been occupying a lot of my "shooty-killy-dungeon-crawly" time). Zombie03

I like those marines you posted. I never had a problem w/ the ones that come w/ the game per se, but those guys are way cooler. Watchmen02
---MSWatchmen01
@MoonSylver, how is Claustrophobia? Its on my soon to get list, but I am overwhelmed with dungeon crawler type games(not theres anything wrong with that). Since my wife is my main gaming partner, Claustrophobia seems like a no-brainer, but I want Descent,Super Dungeon Explore, Talisman and Wrath of Ashardalon. Not only that but I have Memoir 44 coming next week and Dungeon Run and Dungeonquest just sitting on my shelf waiting to be played!
I thought the marines pose was not really a battle ready pose but more of a "shoot me here with a fireball" pose.
Great idea Phantom. I am sure this will add more punch to the game. Just like LNOE with other zeds then the ones the game comes with.

Memoir 44 is awesome, I play that too. Wich set are you getting?
@Emp, I am getting the basic set for Memoir 44. This is my first time with the game and decided to go with it after so many good raves about it. A couple of hours ago I picked up a copy of STARCRAFT at a Half Price book store for 49.00! It stll has the cards shrink wrapped. Now I dont know if I will play this but decided it would make an awesome trade. Oh, and this box is HUGE!
Now, back to DOOM, I have printed out some dice sheets from FFG and plan to use them on some blanks. I have applied some base colors on the three marines. I also bought some 40mm bases for the Hell Knights and Mancubus' because their bases had a tendency to warp. I'll post pics of those as well, in a couple of hours.
(05-18-2012 09:44 PM)phantomninja Wrote: [ -> ]@MoonSylver, how is Claustrophobia? Its on my soon to get list, but I am overwhelmed with dungeon crawler type games(not theres anything wrong with that). Since my wife is my main gaming partner, Claustrophobia seems like a no-brainer, but I want Descent,Super Dungeon Explore, Talisman and Wrath of Ashardalon. Not only that but I have Memoir 44 coming next week and Dungeon Run and Dungeonquest just sitting on my shelf waiting to be played!
I thought the marines pose was not really a battle ready pose but more of a "shoot me here with a fireball" pose.

I am deeply in love w/ Claustro right now. The mechanics are dead simple, but there is a lot of subtlety & nuance buried in there. Lots of little decisions to make each turn on both sides. They took everything great about tactical mini's games & pared away all complexity down to a lean mean engine IMO.

I've heard a lot of comparisons made "like Space Hulk, but better" & I'd say that's about right, not from a game play/rules perspective, but just in style, mood, etc. I think the "better" come in because it gives the Demon('Stealer) player more to do, tactically & from a decision making POV.

I was a little skeptical if I would like it because of the theme/world (w/ which I am not familiar), but have enjoyed it immensely since I bought it. Watchmen02
---MS
So basically all the large models came out something like this. A tad askew with the bases. I would try to flatten them out but they would eventually go back to their previous state. I tried the hairdryer method and hot water method but as not fully satisfied. So I cut them off their original bases and slapped them on some 40mm magnetic bases. Here is what the result came out to be.
Reference URL's