TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Paint alternative to GW
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,

I'm very new around here and i'm also new to painting minis.

I took an interest in painting minis about nearly 17yrs ago... (wow that makes me feel old!) and i'd like to get back into it even though my girlfriend frowns when I mention this. I hate the stigma that painting minis comes with sometimes!

Anyway... paints - does anyone have any recommendations of alternatives to GW paints - cheaper? same quality (or better)...

Being in Australia - GW is pretty steep in price so wondered if there's an alternative...

Cheers,
Vallejo model paints are awesome and come in a dropper style bottle. Fantastic results and is less expensive than GW paints. I used GW paints at first but the 4 bucks a pop kinda pained me, these Vallejo paints can be bought online for 2.60 and up but no more than 3.75
(05-31-2012 04:17 AM)phantomninja Wrote: [ -> ]Vallejo model paints are awesome and come in a dropper style bottle. Fantastic results and is less expensive than GW paints. I used GW paints at first but the 4 bucks a pop kinda pained me, these Vallejo paints can be bought online for 2.60 and up but no more than 3.75

What he said.

And when your girlfriend frowns.......just give her a barbiedoll or something Watchmen02
i'm with phantomninja too.
Thanks guys... looks like I found an awesome bargain on gumtree... $150 !!

2x craft/painting stations. One wooden, one plastic
19x paintbrushes (quality- good points as seen in picture)
4x glues
hand drill for drilling out gun barrels
clippers
knife
12x different files
2x pliers
assorted wire
'green stuff' putty
4x molding tools
2x decal setting solution (for pro decals)
1x flat tweezers for applying decals
1x full can of chaos black undercoat spray
plastic fishing tackle/tool box for tools (not shown in picture)
assorted 'flock' and gravel (grass/ coloured sands for bases)
huge collection of paints in all different colours including washes
Seems more to be a set for vehicles and stuff like that. For 150$ (aussiemoney?) you could find allot of paint and all the brushes you would need to paint the Last Night On Earth mini's
I quite like the formula p3 paints too...

Although I don't mind paying $6 for the GW paints here in Australia. They last long enough that I don't feel like they were too expensive.
I use GW paints. Great quality. Painfull price tag. If I was starting out now though the price would put me off. Go with Vallejo.
(06-01-2012 06:41 PM)Emp Wrote: [ -> ]Seems more to be a set for vehicles and stuff like that. For 150$ (aussiemoney?) you could find allot of paint and all the brushes you would need to paint the Last Night On Earth mini's

Yeah alot of tools but there's a huge box of paints mostly 50% + full (approximately 60 GW paints!)

The tools are always useful and really like the paint bench setup - all ordered and on it's way Zombie03
Ok, so finally got everything but have a few questions!

Got a ton of paints/washes! Out of the nearly 100+ only 15 are dead... but I have a few tubs i've never seen before where the paint itself is still moist but very very thick... is this normal or can it be saved and thinned down ok? And what would be the best way to do this?

Attached some pics of everything I got and one of the thicker paints is at the bottom...

Cheers!

[Image: IMG_20120613_100719.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20120613_100727.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20120613_100742.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20120613_100751.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20120613_100805.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20120613_100816.jpg]

[Image: Untitled-1.jpg]
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's