TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Last Night On Earth Figures - Less Skills, More Paint Explosion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys,

So I love painting these but there are errors in these in my eyes. I am a sloppy painter (maybe I shouldn't be using a roller..) but I am still quite proud of one or two of them.
Anyway, I thought I would post them and get opinion and tips where possible.

Last Night Heroes

[Image: SAM_0245.jpg]

[Image: LNOEHeroes2.jpg]

Arrgghhh!! Zombies!!!

[Image: Zombies.jpg]

Growing Hunger Heroes

[Image: GrowingHungerHeroes.jpg]

Plague Zombies

[Image: ThePlagueZombies.jpg]

Comments, tips etc are very welcome.
By the way, I know these are not up to awesome professional standard, but the painted figures make all the difference when playing the game. So I am happy with them in that respect. I just want to get them better in the future.

Bad mistake varnishing them with gloss as Zombies shouldn't shine and sparkle...
Zombie11
Cheers!!
check out the painting forum, theres a good guide in there. and just keep going, its all about practice.

just seen its sticky at the top of the forum, courtesy of samuritrev.
Those zombies are crazy! I like the look, its a color that I have not seen done before. Bravo, good sir.
Dull coat them, in my opinion.
Except for the shiny or wet parts...
Yeah, use a matt varnish on them. Also when you take pics try avoiding busy backgrounds. It blurs into the subject. So it is all about the practice. The more you paint the more you will improve and find ways to do things.
Cool, thanks for the advice guys.
To be honest, before glossing I was much more impressed (even with the weird pink plague Zombies).
Also, my accuracy with a brush is not the best. At 40 my hand can be a little shaky.. But in normal view they are quite acceptable.
Close camera is possibly not the way I should have gone here.

I may rethink for next time.
Cheers again for all your help. Watchmen02
That's a lot of work there. Well done and keep at it. Gloss varnish is best used on bloodZombie13 You've obviously taken your time with the details. My main bit of advice would be try to get your colours more solid (in the base coat stage) If the colours aren't clean at this stage the overall effect will be dull and 'murky' looking minis (Which is great for Zombies and swamp monsters etc.) Don't allow your shading to obscure the base coat it should complement it. Same with the highlighting. Thanks for sharing. Your painting's actually pretty good and will improve with practice.
+1 rep from me!
Awesome, I appreciate the rep. Thanks.
Freak01

I just got the hero pack so will take the advice on board and let you know how they go.
Here are my Hero pack figures (with basic photoshop skills Zombie12) prior to me glazing them.
I thought I would wait and get some advice.
Stacy is the one I am happy with the least. The others seemed to go okay but i used a blue shade on her and couldn't get it right. So I thought before I pile on layer after layer of paint, I would ask the experts..

[Image: Jadefrontandback.jpg]

[Image: Victorfrontandback.jpg]

[Image: MrGoddardfrontandback.jpg]

[Image: Stacyfrontandback.jpg]
I take it you're asking for advice on Stacy's dress? If you really don't like it this is what I'd do
1) If you're wanting a bright colour, say yellow it's going to take a few thin coats of white first.
2) Failing that choose a different base coat and apply a few thin coats. (however many it takes to get a uniform colour. Don't paint straight out of the pot. Thin it first with water. I've done a guide called how to apply paint samurai style (see below). Basically thick coats of paint obscure detail and will look 'gloopy' and unnatural .
3a) If you want to keep the purple. Repaint the purple basecoat.
b)Allow to dry. Use a purple shade which would be called purple ink/glaze or wash (washes are better in my opinion for this stage as inks are overly rich and tend to drown out the base coat too much rather than complement it [fine for some stuff like monster ichor])
c) If you haven't got inks/glaze or washes go old school i.e. and start mixing your purple with a very small amount of black and 2 drops of water (I recommend a pipette for this)
4) Now apply highlights to raised edges where light would catch such as the apex of clothing folds. Imagine a light source (say above) and the highest point it touches will be a brighter shade of the base coat.
5) Optional ( essential for me) Work on the base, make it look realistic or just cool in some way.
6) Optional ( essential if you want the paint job to last) Varnish (matt spray is best) If you still want shiny areas to your mini then paint gloss varnish onto those areas after the matt spray has dried.

This kind of stuff takes practice and you may be better leaving her as she is. All the figures are looking good especially Mr Goddard. This is a few tips. I've done whole guides for basic coats, shading, highlighting (including drybrushing), varnishing and basing + lots more. Have a read of them. I have been painting 23 years (most of them badly) and have put lots of tips and tricks in there. Hope this helps.

Smooth painting guide http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...urai-style
The basic coat http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...ic-colours
Shading guide http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...-2-Shading
Highlighting guide http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...ghlighting
Bases and Varnishing http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...our-models

I recommend to any new painter or experienced painters (you can always learn off other painters, I still do) to work through these guides in order. Take it slow and don't be disheartened if your models aren't perfect. You will make mistakes thats how you learn and improve. Happy painting!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's