TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Losing the chainsaw
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm placing this topic in the GENERAL section because I think this is a topic of strategy more than rules clarification.

I don't have the specific cards in front of me, so apologies in advance if I don't have the text on the cards or the rules exact.

As I recall, using the chainsaw after winning a fight allows the player to kill a zombie even if no doubles were rolled. However, if the chainsaw is used and the player LOSES the fight, the chainsaw is discarded, correct?

One would likely ask, wouldn't you only use the chainsaw once you know that you've won the fight? Why else would the player opt to use it?

I'm guessing the only way, as a zombie player, to try to eliminate the chainsaw is to hold back a fight card and then use it AFTER the die rolls show that you would lose the fight and then wait for the hero player to choose to use the chainsaw?

For instance, say, as the ZP, I roll a 3 and the Hero rolls 5, 2 on his two fight dice. He wins the fight and then opts to use the chainsaw to kill me instead of "fending off". Then I use a card that either lets me re-roll or roll more fight dice (in hopes of rolling a 5 or 6) or causes my opponent to re-roll some or all of theirs (for instance, make him re-roll the 5 and hope he gets a 3 or lower?)

Other than holding back a fight card when facing a player with a chainsaw, I can't think of another instance where a hero player would be foolish enough to lose the chainsaw. Am I missing something?
You're generally right. Only activate the chainsaw when you need to, but the zombies could still have a trick up their sleeve. It's safer if they've already played a fight card, but it could still happen.
(06-20-2012 01:38 AM)mqstout Wrote: [ -> ]You're generally right. Only activate the chainsaw when you need to, but the zombies could still have a trick up their sleeve. It's safer if they've already played a fight card, but it could still happen.[b]

Thanks for the response, mqstout. But the statement I bolded at the end of your response is really the main question of my inquiry. Are there any specific examples you can think of where a ZP already used their fight card (or has none to use), then the Hero would opt to use the chainsaw but lose it? Other than the strategy example above of not playing a Zombie Fight Card until AFTER the Hero player is declaring to use the chainsaw, I can't think of any other example off-hand.
http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....verwhelmed

One example card that could do it -- the Zombie could get an extra fight die later, that isn't a Fight card.

Yes, there are FEW things that could do it. Thus, it's quite safe -- usually -- for the players to operate under the assumption that using the chainsaw's fine if the Z has already played a fight card.
(06-20-2012 02:12 PM)mqstout Wrote: [ -> ]http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....verwhelmed

One example card that could do it -- the Zombie could get an extra fight die later, that isn't a Fight card.

thats one of my favs Watchmen02
Cool. Thanks again.

While I do own GH, HP1, and SOTF, I've still only been using the base game to introduce new players. I've only opened the boxes of the expasnions but haven't yet used them.
(06-20-2012 12:32 AM)sgiove Wrote: [ -> ]One would likely ask, wouldn't you only use the chainsaw once you know that you've won the fight? Why else would the player opt to use it?
Chainsaw grants an extra fight dice too. That is how I usually lose it. I chance it by using it for a bonus fight dice, then roll low and lose it.
(06-22-2012 03:28 AM)vikinglad Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-20-2012 12:32 AM)sgiove Wrote: [ -> ]One would likely ask, wouldn't you only use the chainsaw once you know that you've won the fight? Why else would the player opt to use it?
Chainsaw grants an extra fight dice too. That is how I usually lose it. I chance it by using it for a bonus fight dice, then roll low and lose it.

Same here. But if you were standing with a chainsaw while being attacked by zombies would you even consider not using the chainsaw and wait until you were standing in the perfect slicing position?

I know it's a game but I play it by the theme. I'm not saying it's the smartest idea if you play solely to win but that's sort of like the DZD scenario. I have seen more than one ZP let his zeds turn their tail and run because the Heroes were about to win. That's one really ugly but it's a perfect example of playing solely to win.
Reference URL's