TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Quick reference guide for most important rules?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As I have mentioned on this board, I am looking into the possibility of setting up, or attending an existing game night somewhere in order to try to make some new fans for this game, and hopefully meet a few new friends who can meet up with me from time to time to play.

When you first play this game, the rules seem very involved and complicated. After all, it takes something like 23 pages! LOL! (I can't remember the exact number because the rule book isn't in front of me right now).

But, in all honesty, once you start to play and get the hang of it, it really is very simple. You only have to double check the rule book from time to time if a specific situation comes up that you haven't encountered before. For the most part, the basic rules are all you need to keep in mind.

So, I had the thought that, for introducing new people to the game, it might actually help to have some sort of quick reference guide of just the basics you NEED to know before you play. Some people don't like to read the rules, they'd rather play and have somebody walk them through it. So, this could help those people to more quickly get to the game and therefore better enjoy the experience. Whereas, those who like to study the rules and know them like the back of their hand can feel free to do so.

Does anybody have something like this already created? If so, I would certainly greatly appreciate seeing an example, either as one I could use, or at least just to get me started on creating one. I've studied the rules enough that I could lead a group of newbies into a game without having to look at the book much, so it would certainly help if they had a handy dandy quick refernce guide to just the basics.
Perhaps this one from BGG will do?

Anyway, I think you'll be a good LNoE Ambassador. Hope you'll turn a few of your pals to the dark side of the force... the evil zombie one Watchmen02
Wow! Awesome! That is absolutely perfect! Thank you! That made it extremely easy for me. Now I don't have to worry about putting my own together. That perfectly explains everything you have to know as a new player in order to get started, but also does so much more quickly.

It obviously doesn't answer all questions that may come up, but that is the point of still having the actual rule book! Thanks, scarydk! This is perfect.
Yeah it looks pretty neat. I haven't used it myself since the rulebook from FFP is available online for free so it's easy for newcomers to check it out but I guess a quick reference could do the job and maybe a little better actually.
Now that's what I call helpful! Thanks, scarydk!
I tend to prefer using UniversalHead's cheatsheets, myself. He's done a large collection of them, and they're wonderfully designed, match the graphic design of the rulebooks, and work excellently as quick references. The ones he did for Descent: Journeys in the Dark are possibly the most useful things I've ever printed out for any game.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing that one as well, Hikari! I definitely love that it is made to match the styling of the game itself. I also like that it is a little smaller so it is made to actually fit well in the game box.

I'll have to compare the two when I get a moment to see if I may prefer one over the other. Either way, thanks again, everybody. This will be a big help for if and when I am able to introduce new fans to the game.
Reference URL's