TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Weird.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In user-friendly bullet list format!
*My name is Daryl.

*I play games. Board games, card games, roleplaying games, video games, mind games... I don't only play games, I tinker with games, no matter what the game is. I even sometimes avoid video games I know I won't be able to tinker with.

*I am considered by many to have the mentality of an old fart. For example, I think it's a travesty that "kids these days" don't know how to play card games and aren't interested in learning to play any.

*I'm gay and my relationship with my boyfriend is almost the longest-lasting one I know personally. (Sadly, in the gay world, saying "we've been together four years" is ground-shaking.) He's an unemployed graphic designer. (Well, he has a job, just not in the arts.)

*I tend not to watch many movies compared to most. My favorite, however, is Clue.

*I read more than most. My favorite is Shogun (by James Clavell).

*I live in Pittsburgh (home of the zombie film), to which I moved for college in 1999, and stayed after.

*I was born and raised in rural New York state, in the area called "Finger Lakes Region". Its principal economic activities are growing potatoes for processing (aka, not those you eat directly), growing grapes for wine (more white than red; more German styles than French), and growing cows for cheese.

*My degree is in linguistics, with a concentration in Russian.

*My income currently comes from being a computer guy at a university.

*I am slowly working my way towards becoming certified to teach earth science/geology at the high school level

*I think with the sound and language parts of my brain. I do not think pictorially. Consequentially, I cannot listen or talk and do other things (including think) at the same time. Listening to music is an active pass-time for me (rather than the passive activity it is for most). Some people are "graphics whores" in video games and movies. Instead, I am excited by a compelling delivery, believable sound effects, impressive use of surround sound, and good ambient noise. When I give directions (which I'm good at), I list road names and similar things, but I usually can't think of a landmark if I need one. Despite (or because of?) this, I am musically incompetent: I cannot comprehend musical notation or forms, mimic rhythms or tones, et cetera.

*I do not and have never driven. I long for a world in which that skill truly is not necessary. Trains are awesome.

*Politically, I'm libertarian. Religiously, I'm apatheist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism).

*I was apparently #9 to join the forum.

*My Myers-Briggs personality type is INTP. Emphasis on the N. Weakest on the P. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Brigg...Indicator)

*I like to help and educate people. I even force them to learn against their will, sometimes.

*I often get frustrated that I am filled with all these creative energies but have few to any outlets to utilize them.

*I use MS Excel a lot -- but rarely as part of my job. Excel 2007 quite possibly is Microsoft's best product ever realized.

*I like to make long lists, be they numbered, bulleted, categorical, to-do, or simply comma-separated (or parenthetical).
Nice to virtually meet you Daryl! My wife's name is Caryl, so it should be easy for me to remember!

Great info about yourself!
Virtual greetings sub human. Zombie17
Greetings from an actual old fart to a mentality of an old fart:P

OD
Reference URL's