TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: New hero: Thaddeus Brandywine, the Undertaker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’m working on a set of new heroes for A Touch of Evil, and I’d welcome any input. The base game primarily features heroes who are visitors and passers-through, but my set focuses more on residents, with a couple exceptions. I’m planning a healer, a merchant, an apothecary/alchemist, a silversmith, a retired professor, an undertaker, a rabbi, and Dr. Manning’s son Jacob. I haven’t play-tested any of these yet, but I hope to remedy that in the next week or so. Here’s the undertaker.

rL

Thaddeus Brandywine, the Undertaker

After his father died in a coach accident last year, Thaddeus took over the family business. Although he deals with death on a regular basis, his sunny personality and youthful vigor make it clear that it hasn’t darkened his perspective on life. If anything, his awareness of the transitory nature of life has made him even more eager to make the most of the time he has.

Wounds - 3
Combat - 3
Cunning - 2
Spirit - 3
Honor - 3

Die Another Day: Once per Game Round (or once per Showdown Fight Round), Thaddeus may cancel any Mystery card that is Keyword Death with a D6 roll of 3+
Pre-Arrangement: Thaddeus recovers from KO without losing any Investigation, items, or allies
Second Chance: Once per Game Round (or once per Showdown Fight Round) and at the cost of 5 Investigation, Thaddeus can prevent all damage from a single attack that would otherwise leave him KO'd
I think Pre-Arrangement needs to go- it removes any penalty for being KO'd, which in turn removes any caution the player would need to show. In a competitive game he'd end up being vastly superior to the other guys.

I like Second Chance!
That's a good point... I have honestly only played cooperatively. I can see how this would be a real concern in a competitive game. Let me think about another approach. Perhaps Second Chance is enough of KO-related bonus. Thanks for the feedback!

rL
I really like your list of future characters, and look forward to seeing the rest. The apothecary guy sounds pretty cool.

Pre-Arrangement is a bit over-powered even for co-op. You could make it a D3 instead of D6 roll for lost items to get a similar, more balanced effect, maybe.
Yeah, I like that suggestion. I really didn't want to drop it entirely, and your D3 idea is the perfect compromise.
Thanks!

rL
I really like the concept for this character. I would agree that pre-arrangement seems a little overpowered. Also, would you consider implementing an ability that fit with his title a little more? Something that might relate to the dead town elders. Maybe as the undertaker, he can freely access any dead town elders secrets, possibly add a new one etc? Just an idea!
Reference URL's