TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Re-roll "any number" of fight dice - Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had a question that has come up in a few of my gaming sessions. Some members of my gaming group thought one way, some others, and my friend who first introduced me to the game thought another. I wasn’t quite sure which is correct and figured somebody here could probably clear this up for us once and for all.

When you get a card that allows you to "re-roll any number" of your opponents fight dice, does this allow you to, for example:

A) They rolled a 1 and a 6, so you tell them they now have to re-roll their 6

OR

B) They rolled a 1 and a 6. You can tell them to re-roll any NUMBER of their fight dice, so you have to tell them to re-roll 2 (both) in hopes of them rolling lower. You cannot specifically tell them which to re-roll, unless, obviously, you are telling them to re-roll all.

I had always assumed it was option A. After all, you wouldn't use this to force your opponent to re-roll unless they rolled higher than you, in which case you are obviously going to want them to re-roll any that were higher. If you could only tell them how many to re-roll, but not tell them which ones to re-roll, they'd never re-roll the high number unless you just made them re-roll ALL of them, so if that were the case, why not just have it say just that.

However, I have to admit that it doesn't say you can have your opponent "re-roll his/her highest fight dice." It specifically says "ANY NUMBER of their fight dice." So, I could see how that could mean you can say the number of dice they have to re-roll, but not which specific ones unless you just have them re-roll all.

So, can you specifically tell them which dice to re-roll, or only how many of their dice to re-roll?
It's all right here.

http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....The_Living

The source of the reroll determines which. (It's been errata-ed onto the cards.)
I've had this problem around here too...

But to assume a given player would only be able to tell how many dices... then that player would always tell to their opponent to re-roll all... otherwise always the choosing order would be from worse to better making the effect of a card that should be positive... Negative.

This logic solved our problem.
Thank you, mqstout. That definitely makes sense, then. Somehow I don't remember the card specifically saying "Zombies choice" because I think that would have cleared it up. But it could be we just missed this. Anybody know if there are any cards that don't specify (zombies or heroes choice)? In other words, they literally do just state "Any number of fight dice?"

j0hnnn,

Thank you. That is exactly what I was thinking. If it literally only meant that you could pick the number of dice they re-roll, that kind of wouldn't make sense. Of course they'd never re-roll the higher one, so in my view it defeats the purpose. To me, the idea was, (for example) one of their rolls was higher than you, so you want them to re-roll just that one, because keeping the other guarantees that one of their rolls is still lower than yours (unless they make you re-roll too).

Interested in what others think as well. Anybody else?
"Errata" = "we fixed it after printing". It may not really be printed on (all versions of) the card, but is official edit to the text (and not just an FAQ).

Some other LNOE errata:
http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....ata#Errata
Zombie hates the Hero for playing keep away with those tasty brains
Ah. That explains it. Maybe it wasn't printed on my card. Then again, maybe it was and we just missed it. Don't have it in front of me to check. Still, that is good to know. I figured this was how the rule should be played, but I did have a few others believe otherwise, so I wanted to clarify.
Reference URL's