TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: How did you first discover Last Night On Earth?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I was randomly thinking this would be a neat idea for a thread. I'm sure many of us have told our stories many times here on the boards, but it is still always fun to relive the wonderful day you discovered this awesome game. Besides, it would be cool to have all our stories in one place. ;-)

Anyways, I have told my story many times here, but maybe never in great detail. My wife and I were visiting a couple friends of ours (a husband and wife couple) for the one friend's (the husband's) birthday. We did a game night. We bought him a new game from his wishlish, which was called "Kill Dr. Lucky." It was pretty fun!

Meanwhile, he told us about a zombie board game he had called "Last Night On Earth." I had never even heard of it before, but it sounded cool. So, we played... and the rest is history. ;-) LOL! You've all heard tell that part of the story. After playing ONCE, I was absolutely obsessed. That was months before my birthday. It INSTANTLY went on my birthday list, and I obsessed about the game for months, watching YouTube videos, reading reviews, etc. until finally getting it for my birthday in early June!

So, what is your story? ;-)
Well mines boring Watchmen02

But I was searching for a coop tile based board game online and mostly Google and specifally a horror or zombie theme.
My kids are all teens now and I felt it was time to move past Monopoly, Life and QuickDraw etc.
And the rest is history.

Told you it was boring

I should add that we have played RPGs with them a few ago ad they loved it. But me as the GM (and DAD) just doesnt have the time to runa campaign sadly.

So a more complex board game is where we're at Watchmen02
It started with the game ZOMBIES!!!. I was browsing a small family owned hobby shop and they had this on the shelves. Bought it, played it, liked it. I started doing some research once the fifth game was done with because it became pretty cutthroat, found LNOE on BGG and that was that. LNOE actually pulled the trigger on bigger board game buys. Without I would have never bought DOOM, Claustrophobia or even Descent. While these games are pricey, they bring hours and hours of immersible fun.
I heard about it somewheres or other and decided to look into it myself, after readin just a little about the game I was hooked without even having bought it yet.
Well a long long time ago, ina galaxy far away....

Whilst growing up like any other kid I liked playing games, buy any my parents were very busy and then (late 80's early 90's) it was all about the computer and console boom that was going on, so I never really got a chance to play any board or card games growing up apart from when I went to my nans, whom during her time card games were the main form of entertainment.

I met my now partner, Sophia, and her family have always played Card and Board games which I loved, I've always liked Monoply and Cludo (from the little I'd played them) and they introduced me to Risk, the first Stratgey board game I'd played, I absolutely loved it! It wasn't until several years later when Sophia and I had our son Ollie that we were talking, and I told her my sad story about never having anyone to play Card and Board games with whilst growing up, We decided then to start collecting board games so that once Ollie was old enough teach him to play with us, Hopfully aiding his education, teaching him about winning and loosing, and hopefully growing a stronger bond with him as he grows.

We thought we'd start with simple games like "Snap" then "Snakes and Ladders" etc but since these Card and Multi-type games are easy to comeby we thought we'd get the larger games first (since he's only 18mths at present) so We bought Risk (Star-Wars version), Monopoly (Star Wars version, seing a pattern?) and we looked around at other games like Game of Life etc.

I decided to google "Best Board Games" or something like that to see what popped up, and saw Last Night on Earth, I'd always had a obsession with Zombies and Zombie related stuffs and so bugged Sophia until she let me order it, My selling point was that we were looking for a co-op board game so more than 1 person could win. Knowing my love for the rotting undead she allowed me to buy it (me wuvs her) and I've been obsessed ever since. I've started messing about with a few Custom Characters based on Sophia and my Family, and I've got a Custom Scenario in mind (These are going to take a fair while as my free time is very limited, Sophia and I solo parent whilst the other one works, since we both work full time)

So slightly longer post maybe than you were hopeing for, but that's my story =D
All of my other board games are pretty standard - Carcassonne, Catan, Trivial Pursuit, Spongebob monopoly (don't ask)..

I was after a cool theme game and youtube'd Mansions of Madness. After taking all of it in and reading reviews and user comments I felt it was going to be too restricted for me so I went into Manchester and browsed the game shops and I just happened on LNOE.
Taking a chance I bought it without knowing much more and am glad I did..
Best theme board game I have ever played!!
I noticed it's pre-buzz on BGG & it sounded interesting eventhough
I'm not a big Zombie fan.I also noticed that a Fan Site had been
created & came here.

The first threads on this Forum were all about what LNoE would be like.
Then FFP announced AToE & Sarku began expanding the Forum
for each new FFP Game.

OD[/u]
Was looking for a coop game with miniatures on BGG. LNoE was one of the highest rated. The B movie theme sold it. It's my first, my last, my everything of zombie games.
My story is simplistic and spontaneous.

Was in a gaming store in Sydney looking for a certain add-on for a wargame I own. The LNoE artwork and title caught my eye... never heard of it before.

Looked at and read the back of the box and the concept got me, so I bought the game instantly. That was back in early 2009, and LNoE has remained my favourite boardgame ever since. Scored ToE later on as well.

To this day the mechanics, rules, design and gameplay still fascinate and amaze me.
I wandered into a local shop called Plastic Worx which was mostly models and remote control contraptions but I noticed a board game called "Oh No! Zombies!". Over the last few years I really became a zombie fan so I bought the game to play with my kids. We enjoyed it but it was a VERY basic, simple game and included only 4 heroes, 4 zombie versions of the heroes, and 6 regular zombies.

So I started searching the internet for other zombie board games and with everything I found it looked like it came down to a contest between Zombies! and Last Night on Earth. I found a really in-depth review of LNOE on some gaming site that declared it far superior and it sold me enough to order it. My kids and I were instantly in love with the game and ordered Growing Hunger and Hero Pack 1 soon thereafter. Since then I have managed to restrain myself from further expansions or sets with the exception of the Radioactive Grave Dead supplement because I wanted the crystal green zombies and a set of red zombies just to increase the horde.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Reference URL's