TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: Scenario search items when a hero dies?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(Note: Just a little back story here. Not really necessary to the question, so If you want to skip my story to get to the actual question, Skip to the passage after the big red Q below. ;-) Just thought I'd make it easier if anybody wanted to help but didn't want to read my long post. LOL!)

This weekend, I got a chance to hang out with my best friend I've had since the first grade. As I've mentioned before, he's not specifically into zombies like I am (though it isn't like he's against them or anything). However, he does enjoy board games. We play at least one or two almost every time we get together. Though, like me, he'd never really played much beyond the typical stuff.

So, he was definitely interested in trying Last Night On Earth. I brought it along, and we wound up getting in two games by the end of the day. We switched roles so we both got to be zombies once and heroes once. He seemed to actually really like the game, so that is good! We will definitely play more when we get together.

Q
Anyway, that brings me to my question. One of the times, we played "Escape in the Truck." One of his heroes actually had gas and the keys (Billy, in fact). Well, at one point, my zombies swarmed Billy, and sadly for the lad, he did not survive. In fact, a card I had played turned him into my Zombie Hero.

However, we weren't sure what this meant for the gas and keys he was carrying. I mean, typically when a hero dies in the game, their items are discarded. However, you can see how this would basically be a death sentence to the heroes. Granted, they could hope to find another set of keys. There aren’t just one set. Or, they could hope to get a card that allows them to take anything from discard. But, it still very much hurts their chances, especially since there are only so many gas and key cards in the deck.

So, is that just bad luck for the heroes? Or should the items be considered to be dropped where they died, allowing another hero to try to run for it and pick them up?
Hmm I would say if the Hero team usually struggles once the Gas has been discarded, ensure at the start of play that the gas station tile is in play. Generally though, I would say tough luck! The Heroes shouldn't have been so careless Zombie03
If you are playing by the book, unless stated otherwise, the cards are discarded. So sad for the Heroes.
Obviously, it can be houseruled as you see fit, just use a gas token for the gas and the red circle to represent the keys (this is done in one of the later expansion or web scenarios). In your case, StayPuft, since Billy was holding the keys and was turned rather than just killed, you could play that he still has them in his pocket and the Heroes have to kill him to get them back (they can continue to search for more keys, of course).
When any Hero is killed All their items are gone including any Scenario search items. Yes, it's tough being a Survivor!

Any events the Hero had are always kept.
Thanks for the input, guys. That is pretty much what I assumed. Just seems a bit harsh to the heroes. LOL! Plus, I kind of wanted to go at least a tad bit easy on my friend since it was his first time trying the game. I mean, granted there is always the chance of finding the other items, but when you lose them late in the game, you can imagine how this basically makes it seem like there is no way the heroes are going to win.

For the record, Leonard, I don't know if I'd say it is necessarily always that the heroes were careless. Sometimes, no matter how hard you may try, those zombies are just killing machines. If you get cornered, there really isn't much you can do. Especially when you get stuck in situations where you keep being unable to search because you have to run from zombies, but you still need to find a few items. At some point, you realize you are going to lose anyway if you don't find the items you need, so you just have to start taking chances.
Reference URL's