TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: I never could understand sore losers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Am I alone in this? I could just never understand the sort of people who get all bent out of shape about losing a game. I mean, it is just a game. It is all just in good fun.

I could somewhat understand it if it was a game that somehow seemed to completely dump on them while everybody else got all the luck. But, even then, okay so maybe that isn't the greatest game, but it was still just a game.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Nobody really likes to lose. When you play any game, you want to win. But, if you are only having fun if you win, then what is the point of ever playing any games?

That is one thing I love about Last Night On Earth. It is so much fun no matter what. Heck, the game could dump on me the entire time, and I'd still love it. Granted, balanced games are always the most fun, but this game is still all kinds of awesome either way.
I've had my ass handed to me playing LNoE and be lying if I said I've never swore when the dice Gods have been against me but ultimately I've enjoyed every game win or lose.
Hi. Stay Puft. It happens. In my game group, there are a few people who brag when they win, and cry when they lose. it does not matter what game it is.

Best advice i can give you is. Dont let it bother you.

Its usually their problem, and I dont let it become mine.
(08-21-2012 12:25 AM)samuraitrev Wrote: [ -> ]I've had my ass handed to me playing LNoE and be lying if I said I've never swore when the dice Gods have been against me but ultimately I've enjoyed every game win or lose.

LOL! Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm sure we all have. When you JUST picked up that gun and the VERY FIRST TIME you use it, you roll a 1...

When your hero is in big trouble if he/she doesn't move fast... and you roll a 1.

When your hero needs to get away from zombies getting close, and you roll a 1, only to realize that if you move 1 in any direction you can, the zombies are still in the next space over, but if you stay where you are they are STILL the next space over, so either way Zombie Hunger is going to be brining a fight to you.

When you get to use a Shamble card on one of your zombies... and you roll a 1.

When a bunch of your zombies are in a group, and the heroes throw dynamite and get extremely luck with the rolls, killing EVERY one of those zombies.

When you get the Rotten Bodies card at exactly the moment when you DON'T want it.

LOL! Those are moments when the expletives must fly.

But, doesn't change the fact that this game is still awesomely fun even when those things do happen to you.

(08-21-2012 07:13 PM)PJON Wrote: [ -> ]Hi. Stay Puft. It happens. In my game group, there are a few people who brag when they win, and cry when they lose. it does not matter what game it is.

Best advice i can give you is. Dont let it bother you.

Its usually their problem, and I dont let it become mine.

Oh, absolutely. Good advice, PJON. Indeed, I tend not to let it bother me. Still, it does definitely stink, because sore losers and overly cocky winners can ruin the fun for others. I'm lucky enough that my gaming group has neither.

Mind you, we do tease each other when luck goes our way, or bad luck comes calling for our opponents, but it is all in good fun.

EDIT: I gave myself an idea for another funny thread that I may start.... Coming soon. ;-)
I'm with ya. LNOE's more about the trip than the destination.
My gaming group is also my co-workers, as we all play during our one hour lunch break. My boss HATES losing. It gets pretty heated some games. One of the other players likes to cheat. His way is to not read the card completely, leaving out parts to suit him. When confronted "ooops" with a smile is his reponse. I get frustrated, as no one wants to read the rules, then argue with me on how things go down.
Yeah I'm getting to the point now where I can play the game without the rule book but the BOOK is a great way to stop any tempers from flaring...just say "I'm sorry you feel that way BROSEPH, but THE BOOK says we must obey this rule" lololol everybody in my group is pretty chill and I hope it continues that way. Watchmen02
Great thread.

I came to think of an experience my wife and I had a couple of years ago when we visited some friends and were asked if we wanted to play a game they recently acquired. I've never learned to say no to board gaming, my wife neither so we set out to play "King of Chigaco".

Our friends introduced the game by saying that they had played it with another couple and that they (the other couple) had walked out on them mid game. Why would you ever want to do such a thing we asked with a smile... oh boy, we were to learn why soon enough.

We started out with minimal knowledge of the rules. "You'll learn as we play," one of our friends told us. The thing is, we were informed by the rules as we played but it wasn't like "now you have the option to do this and that" but only each time the rules were in our adversaries favor.

I recall at one point my wife said. "Hey I wanted to do something similar last round but you didn't tell me, that I could do that?" The response came promptly from our 2nd friend: "You can't redo your move as it messes up what I have planned".

Overall, let me just say that was a bizarre experience and as the game came to an end with us losing I felt like a sore loser! Watchmen02
LOL! What a story.

Scarydk, in the case of your story, I must respectfully disagree with you. You were NOT a sore loser. You were upset justifiably so. Big difference there. It sounds to me like this couple ruined the game by not having the true spirit of fun, and instead just wanting to win. They obviously intentionally didn't teach you the rules knowing they could take advantage of them when you they worked to their benefit.

That is another thing I cannot stand. It is very unfair to exploit your knowledge of the game and inentionally hold back information from new players so you can win. Luclily, Last Night On Earth is fairly easy to learn to play. However, when playing with newbies, heck, even when playing with a fellow die hard of the game, I will often offer advice to the opposing side. I especially do this when I am playing with somebody new to the game. I want them to know all possible moves they could make, as well as the benefits and negatives about making each move. Basically, I like to share with them the thought process I would be going through if I were them.

I want the game to be fair and everybody to have the same chance. If you win through cheating, or taking advantage of somebody else's lesser knowledge of the game, or something like that, then that just cheapens the victory. I want to win because I actually won, not because I intentionally held information from my opponent so they wouldn't do things that would have helped them.

Kind of reminds me of the friend we all have had at some point. You play a video game (one they own and you don't) against them and they conveniently "forget" to tell you a bunch of possible moves you can do and proceed to kill your character within seconds because you have no idea what the Hell you are doing. LOL!
Hmm...

I think it depends a bit on the competitiveness of the a. group, b. game. We play Blood Bowl regularly, where there definetely are sore loosers, and trying to make a move that fails utterly because of bad dicerolls and then seeing your opponent doing the same move in a harder version and completing it, can leave me head shaking. That said, I would never blame my opponent for my loss, or beget him his victory.

Normally we play LNoE competitively and like it that way, but sometimes even though I am playing the zeds I cheer with the rest of them when they down an especially bothersome zed, and I really like when any part wins in a very tight game!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's