TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: painting?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm really not sure how to address this issue, but I have never even considered painting my figures until recently. How would I begin? and what paints should I purchase? I only have figures from LNOE.
You can check out The Tomb-Brush with Death Section but to start;

1-Clean your figs with a warm water & a little dish detergent an old tooth brush works.(This removes mold oils
that can interefere with you paint staying on).

2-Use a basecoat (I prefer the spray can type) I use Black but you can use White which brightens up your colors.
(this allows your paint to stick to the fig better than just painting over bare plastic)

3-Use acryllic paints ,there are a lot of brands,I use GamesWorkshop paints a little more expensive but they
have a huge selection & great coverage.

4-Once painted you should use a Gloss spray to lock in the paint & then a Matte Spray to tone down the
shiney look the Gloss spray gives.

5.I always paint from the inside out-starting with flesh & then shirt/pants & then jacket,ending up with weapons,
hats,hair,weapons.

Painting is a really relaxing & fun part of the Hobby for me & it really adds to your Game.

OD
Instead of a gloss spray I used the method in the link below and dipped my figures into some Minwax polyshade stain. This fills in shading and details on the models that I don't have the skill to paint by hand. This wouldn't work well for something like a pristine knight in other games because it makes them seem dirty, but for zombies and apocalypse survivors, I think that it looks pretty gritty and cool and really decreases the work I have to do.

If you follow this method be careful with where the stain may pool a little where you don't want. My nurse Becky looks a little bit like she pooped herself because there was a drop of stain I didn't see until too late.

http://www.yggnoise.com/projects/last-ni...dip-method
I started with SamuraiTrev's tutorials in the Brush with Death section of his Tomb Forum, like OD suggested. Try this link to see a list of available ones. The three "Beginner's Guides" are really good.

Tomb Forum Thread Title Search for "Guide"
(08-27-2012 11:57 AM)Old Dwarf Wrote: [ -> ]You can check out The Tomb-Brush with Death Section but to start;

1-Clean your figs with a warm water & a little dish detergent an old tooth brush works.(This removes mold oils
that can interefere with you paint staying on).

2-Use a basecoat (I prefer the spray can type) I use Black but you can use White which brightens up your colors.
(this allows your paint to stick to the fig better than just painting over bare plastic)

3-Use acryllic paints ,there are a lot of brands,I use GamesWorkshop paints a little more expensive but they
have a huge selection & great coverage.

4-Once painted you should use a Gloss spray to lock in the paint & then a Matte Spray to tone down the
shiney look the Gloss spray gives.

5.I always paint from the inside out-starting with flesh & then shirt/pants & then jacket,ending up with weapons,
hats,hair,weapons.

Painting is a really relaxing & fun part of the Hobby for me & it really adds to your Game.

OD

(08-27-2012 06:52 PM)Ogthar Wrote: [ -> ]Instead of a gloss spray I used the method in the link below and dipped my figures into some Minwax polyshade stain. This fills in shading and details on the models that I don't have the skill to paint by hand. This wouldn't work well for something like a pristine knight in other games because it makes them seem dirty, but for zombies and apocalypse survivors, I think that it looks pretty gritty and cool and really decreases the work I have to do.

If you follow this method be careful with where the stain may pool a little where you don't want. My nurse Becky looks a little bit like she pooped herself because there was a drop of stain I didn't see until too late.

http://www.yggnoise.com/projects/last-ni...dip-method

I do both of these. Only two differences is after the dip I seal them with just matte spray, AND I've taken to just "dabbing" on the dip with on old brush rather than actually dipping them. It makes the shading AND stain effect a little more subdued and a LOT more controllable. Watchmen02
---MSWatchmen01
Reference URL's